PS2 Portable w/ hard drive

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

ThomasBags
PS2 Portable w/ hard drive

Post by ThomasBags » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:00 pm

Hm, so I had an idea for making a PS2 portable using a PS2 slim board. One thing special about this mod is that I was suggesting scrapping the DVD drive and replacing it with a smaller 2.5" laptop hard drive.
Now I know the PS2 slim right away does not have a hard drive bay but the PS2 combo, http://www.hdcombo.com/cgi-bin/hdcombo/site.pl
So instead with a 2.5" hard drive, do you think this may save space and/or power consumption? One tricky thing may be getting games onto the hard drive while in the case.
Also, I wouldn't be needing any modchip or swap disc. Instead, I'd use the beloved Memor32 memory card hack.

Overall, how plausible, functional, and good does this idea sound?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Issue with this step:
"3. Insert the HD-OS (HDL, HDA or Homebrew) or plug in Memory Card which was built-in with HD-OS.elf file. "

You'll need to still have the DVD drive to boot this as it is shipped. I have, however, seen videos on Youtube of PS-Twos that were modchipped to boot off USB with no disc inserted. Though, even if no disc is required, the game may still communicate with the drive and crash if the proper response is not given.
So instead with a 2.5" hard drive, do you think this may save space and/or power consumption? One tricky thing may be getting games onto the hard drive while in the case.
A 2.5" drive is a lot smaller, and uses less power. To connect it to a PC, you could just put in a switch to switch the USB wiring to an external plug.

cody27

Post by cody27 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:39 am

Very plausible and very functional as I done just that except mine had a mod chip in it which helped remove the green tint and made it a lot easier to put games on the hard drive. Also how good are you at soldering if you think installing a ps2 modchip is hard just wait till you try and install the harddrive then you really have a mission on your hands. It is quite possible, proven but you have to be quite good with a soldering iron to be up to the task. Also to power the harddrive just connect it to the usb port on the ps2 board.

ThomasBags

Post by ThomasBags » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:54 pm

tom61 wrote:Issue with this step:
"3. Insert the HD-OS (HDL, HDA or Homebrew) or plug in Memory Card which was built-in with HD-OS.elf file. "

You'll need to still have the DVD drive to boot this as it is shipped. I have, however, seen videos on Youtube of PS-Twos that were modchipped to boot off USB with no disc inserted. Though, even if no disc is required, the game may still communicate with the drive and crash if the proper response is not given.
A 2.5" drive is a lot smaller, and uses less power. To connect it to a PC, you could just put in a switch to switch the USB wiring to an external plug.
Actually the memor32 can boot HDLoader, its just a memory card with USB port, can be reflashed for custom firmware and load up whatever, so I'd be able to boot up HDLoader just fine

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:28 pm

I remember doing this to my friend's ps2 a while back.
Its a pain in the A** to do. I barely finished it, and it all requires extremely fine soldering. Know what your doing first. I had to get a new head every few times I soldered a wire, because I needed nice clean points.
But I also got a custom case to put the PS2 in so that it fits the HD in it(The case is online somewhere commercially) This is no joke work

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Damn it that case is on their site :roll:

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Triple post:
Wait wait wait wait wait!
Why does it seem like there is no need to solder in their instruction guide?
Did I do it the stupid, long way?
Because if it only plugging in cables, A. I feel like an idiot and B. im getting me one of these

Also, where can I buy it?
-Their site has no direct links :?

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:50 am

www.DSminded.com - Mod it. Play it. Love it.

GameCube #1: Black DOL-001 Qoob Pro - 1.3c bios + SDGekko + Controller port LED's
GameCube #2: DOL-001 GCp Project victim
Xbox #1: v1.4 with DuoX chip + EvoX/XBMC dash. 40GB HDD upgrade.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Is a directly connected IDE harddisk faster than one connected to a USB port when using on a PS2? When watching some videos on YouTube about using a USB thumbdrive or harddisk, there was slowdown during cutscene video.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:57 pm

USB SUCKS.
Dont use it!
It never works, many games crash, its not worth it