Wii DVD Drive for Gamecube?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Acronell
Wii DVD Drive for Gamecube?

Post by Acronell » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:24 am

Wondering this...

Would it be possible to set a Wii DVD drive as the drive in a Gamecube instead of the normal one that comes in it?

I know that most DVD drives wouldn't work, but seeing as this is an official nintendo product, and that the Wii can play gamecube games, I thought I'd ask.
~_+_~WhEn ThE sUn FoUnD tHe MoOn, ShE wAs DrInKiNg TeA iN a GaRdEn, UnDeR tHe GrEeN uMbReLlA tReEs In ThE mIdDlE oF sUmMeR~_+_~

~+~Doki Doki Tari Desu-Ruby Tuts/Ideas
~+~SeeTheMasterPlay on deviantART - My deviantART

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:22 am

Why not just use the Wii motherboard as well? :?

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:19 am

bicostp wrote:Why not just use the Wii motherboard as well? :?
Cause you need the wiimote to get into the GC game. Silly huh?
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:23 pm

Because it would then be a Wii portable and not a Gamecube portable. Plus that would (I believe) be a bigger motherboard.
~_+_~WhEn ThE sUn FoUnD tHe MoOn, ShE wAs DrInKiNg TeA iN a GaRdEn, UnDeR tHe GrEeN uMbReLlA tReEs In ThE mIdDlE oF sUmMeR~_+_~

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Rekarp wrote:
Something to that effect, and I don't want to take up too much more space, limited as it is.

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:43 pm

well, at my opinion it is near imposible, cause probably the number of data traces differs, and them can use diferent comunication protocols. lot of tools and knowldgment will be needed, maybe 50 or 100 guys with advanced engeniery studies can got it, also with the aditional hw/tools required it may be not as portable as you have in mind. I mean I think this is not viable, if you really want to slim the gc DD ,you can design your own slim method, or use methods like thecknott used, I also have posted some links to Gc dvd drive slim methods at my gcp guide project topic.

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:14 pm

Rekarp wrote:
I think I read you could use a wii-guitar joystick as well. perhaps one could mount one of those to the portable.

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:41 pm

grossaffe wrote:
Rekarp wrote:
I think I read you could use a wii-guitar joystick as well. perhaps one could mount one of those to the portable.
that would be nice, but my Portable is Laptop shaped......plus I'm quite sure that would mean I'd have to add the sensor bar

ian2120

Post by ian2120 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:23 pm

not necessarily. You can use the Wii's analog sticks to move the cursor if the wiimote isn't pointed towards the TV, or the sensor bar isn't plugged in.

I know for a fact, cause I travel with my wii a lot, and for a while, I would only bring GH3. I wouldn't even bother to pack the sensor bar, cause I didn't need it.
We Didn't Start The Fire! Watch!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5pjoRZNzC0
Andrew wrote:{I was so happy} I was singing in my head!
me wrote:What song?
Andrew wrote:All of them

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:39 pm

ian2120 wrote:not necessarily. You can use the Wii's analog sticks to move the cursor if the wiimote isn't pointed towards the TV, or the sensor bar isn't plugged in.

I know for a fact, cause I travel with my wii a lot, and for a while, I would only bring GH3. I wouldn't even bother to pack the sensor bar, cause I didn't need it.
that doesn't sound too bad, but it still adds a bit of a problem to my project. I'm making a Gamecube Laptop w/Gameboy Player and Broadband Adapter built in.

:(

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:07 pm

Acronell wrote:
ian2120 wrote:not necessarily. You can use the Wii's analog sticks to move the cursor if the wiimote isn't pointed towards the TV, or the sensor bar isn't plugged in.

that doesn't sound too bad, but it still adds a bit of a problem to my project. I'm making a Gamecube Laptop w/Gameboy Player and Broadband Adapter built in.

so is it the gameboy player that's the issue? You could always twilight-hack the wii and get the homebrew channel on there and run a gameboy emulator.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Why does everyone want the Gameboy Player in their GC portables? Don't you guys have either GBAs or DSes? After all, the GBA IS a portable device already... :lol: That's like building an SNES portable with a Super 8 built-in just to play Gameboy games on it! :lol: Wait... someone either did that or already made that joke on these forums a while ago... was it... cennar? :?

Anyway, for your original question... I don't think it's possible, or at least easy, but remember that the IDE/USB project can also work with ATAPI DVD drives... I'll try to get this working if I get enough people interested in it. :wink: Most of us just want to store the games on a hard drive or CF card, though.

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:44 pm

grossaffe wrote:
Acronell wrote:

so is it the gameboy player that's the issue? You could always twilight-hack the wii and get the homebrew channel on there and run a gameboy emulator.
I dont own a Wii, I have someone giving me Wii parts. I don't want to have to buy a Wii to get it working. Plus, I can't find a unit to back up my games.

Acronell

Post by Acronell » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Electric Rain wrote:Why does everyone want the Gameboy Player in their GC portables? Don't you guys have either GBAs or DSes? After all, the GBA IS a portable device already... :lol: That's like building an SNES portable with a Super 8 built-in just to play Gameboy games on it! :lol: Wait... someone either did that or already made that joke on these forums a while ago... was it... cennar? :?

Anyway, for your original question... I don't think it's possible, or at least easy, but remember that the IDE/USB project can also work with ATAPI DVD drives... I'll try to get this working if I get enough people interested in it. :wink: Most of us just want to store the games on a hard drive or CF card, though.
I'm making my Gamecube portable as a laptop, but I want it with all functionality, so that is why I'm adding the gameboy player to it.

I currently have two Pikachu Gameboy Advance SP (one is going to my sister for her birthday and the other I'm selling/trading here on a thread) and I have a Micro (which has been modded so that the cart can't be taken out) with a rom card in it.

I'm not for storing them on a hard drive yet, for now I'm making the one that runs off of discs, with the broadband adapter, that way you can still make Back Ups of your games.

Dark-Aries

Post by Dark-Aries » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:21 pm

Simple Answer: Probably not
Long answer has allready been explained...go pickup two cheap broken GCNs on Ebay..one with everything fine but it DRES..the other the DD works perfect..but the controller ports are smashed or something...you get a lot of spare parts..and a working GCN...perfect!