DVD drive rubber band fix...OK?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes
DVD drive rubber band fix...OK?

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 pm

I was working on an XBOX (original) that had a disc drive that wouldn't open. Well, there happened to be a piece of tape stuck in there and I thought that was the problem, but then it turned out that the normal drive band was no longer working (too loose from being worn out?). I replaced it with a normal everyday rubber band and now it works, but for how long I don't know and I don't really like the idea of doing a fix that is only going to work for a couple months. Where can you buy the exact OEM replacement type rubber bands that they use to open the tray? Are they really any different than a regular rubber band? will a regular rubber band hold you think? All I know is that I have found old rubber bands amongst some toys/video game stuff I've had since I was a kid and they were really gross and slimy and just not like a rubber band should be and I'm a little worried that this fix will fail within 2 years or so (estimation pulled completely out of my ass). It really shouldn't matter because Play N Trade only has like a 30 day warranty on used systems, but as a gamer, collector, and just general enthusiast I don't want to do half assed fixes if it can be avoided. Also, if you're wondering, the rubber band is stretched, but just a little.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:41 pm

pick up a pack of rubber bands from the hardware store. find one that fits right. maybe if youre lucky itll be pink :D

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:01 pm

dragonhead wrote:pick up a pack of rubber bands from the hardware store. find one that fits right. maybe if youre lucky itll be pink :D
did you even read the post? I already replaced it with a rubber band, I'm asking if the kind they use at the factory is different somehow and if so where can I get it?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:54 pm

chill man. i was referring to that nasty one you found. replace it. and a rubber band is a rubber band. if it breaks or stops working just replace it again. you could try using a rubber o-ring too.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Re: DVD drive rubber band fix...OK?

Post by Electric Rain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:14 am

Wait... who are you? Do you work for Play N Trade? It would be messed up if I turned out to know you... Image

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:40 pm

Electric Rain wrote:Wait... who are you? Do you work for Play N Trade? It would be messed up if I turned out to know you... Image
yes...who the hell are you? Johnston Street PNT?
dragonhead wrote:chill man. i was referring to that nasty one you found. replace it. and a rubber band is a rubber band. if it breaks or stops working just replace it again. you could try using a rubber o-ring too.
So the ones used in the drive aren't any different? its not a nasty rubber band, in fact its a brand new rubber band from a bag of mixed rubber bands, I was just wondering if those used in DVD/CD drives were made of a different material to be more durable or something (it felt a little different to be honest). I mean, after all, there are like 6.2 trillion types of plastic (exaggerated, then again maybe not) so I find it likely there is more than one kind of rubber band.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:51 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote:
Electric Rain wrote:Wait... who are you? Do you work for Play N Trade? It would be messed up if I turned out to know you... Image
Um... no... my brother works at a Play N Trade in Tennessee. You kinda sounded like the guy he works for, if that makes any sense.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Electric Rain wrote:
17daysolderthannes wrote:
Um... no... my brother works at a Play N Trade in Tennessee. You kinda sounded like the guy he works for, if that makes any sense.
wrong state, lol.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:57 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote: I mean, after all, there are like 6.2 trillion types of plastic (exaggerated, then again maybe not) so I find it likely there is more than one kind of rubber band.
Polymers are polymers. Rubber bands stretch to a certain extent. As long as your new band somewhat matches the one that was on the DVD drive, it should be fine.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Skyone wrote:
17daysolderthannes wrote: I mean, after all, there are like 6.2 trillion types of plastic (exaggerated, then again maybe not) so I find it likely there is more than one kind of rubber band.
Polymers are polymers. Rubber bands stretch to a certain extent. As long as your new band somewhat matches the one that was on the DVD drive, it should be fine.
QFT

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:57 pm

I know you didn't just try and tell me all polymers are the same, please tell me you didn't just say that when I can whip out my engineering textbook right now with tables upon tables of data for tons of different polymers. crap, there's even a specialized field in chemistry that strictly deals with all the types of polymers there are. Even if all rubber bands have the same ingredients, you can use different percentages of each ingredient, I noticed the rubber band I used had more stretch to it than the original drive band, not sure if thats good or bad, but it probably means it won't last as long as a well kept original though.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:39 am

I dunno...
If the rubber band breaks once it's just going to keep doing that.
If it does break get a cheap dvd player at walmart or target and replace the bands.
That should work...
Also, I used to work at Play and Trade, but that's when I lived in Arizona.
:D GOD it's hot there!
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:13 pm

17daysolderthannes wrote:I know you didn't just try and tell me all polymers are the same, please tell me you didn't just say that when I can whip out my engineering textbook right now with tables upon tables of data for tons of different polymers. crap, there's even a specialized field in chemistry that strictly deals with all the types of polymers there are. Even if all rubber bands have the same ingredients, you can use different percentages of each ingredient, I noticed the rubber band I used had more stretch to it than the original drive band, not sure if thats good or bad, but it probably means it won't last as long as a well kept original though.
You're taking the least serious problem and making it impossible. If you're such the engineer, maybe you would be able to devise the function of the original rubber band and find another one that could replace it with the abilities of the original.

:lol: yeesh.

nubie

Post by nubie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:51 pm

to OP:

A rubber band is designed to stretch, a drive belt is not supposed to stretch at all, it is supposed to be wedged into the pulleys to a certain amount by the movement of the pulleys themselves. If it works it works, but I agree it isn't right.

In the long term you could see problems from the added friction the band will place on the bearings or bearing surfaces, but I don't foresee it being a huge problem.

You might email this guy and see if he will give you one, or if he has some. http://www.llamma.com/xbox/

The drives are standard CD/DVD drive manufacturers products, so you could take the drive belt from similar PC or DVD player drive.

If you want to get a new official replacement part you might try a TV/VCR shop, they could have a source for drivebelts. I don't know if mouser or digikey carry these parts. I may have a look around for them.

EDIT: Here is a kit to replace most belts: http://studiosoundelectronics.com/cdlasers.htm#BELT

It would be best to measure your belt accurately before you order.

I found that link on this page: http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php? ... a30441b434

Edit 2: this is another source, and of course measure the belt first, these may not be the right belt type: http://www.electronix.com/catalog/advan ... words=.046