Project BATARANG (PS3 Boomerang Remake) FINISHED

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
Project BATARANG (PS3 Boomerang Remake) FINISHED

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:24 am

Welcome to the Playstation Project BATARANG Page on Benheck Forums.
Enjoy your Stay....

You guys remember the underdog controller of this generation gaming. You know, the boomerang that doesnt come back. Yea, thats right. The devil horned controller. Well, this time.... Mine came back to me.

Ah, so pretty.

Incase your wondering, this project of mine is about making the Boomerang Controller. Ofcourse, not an exact replica but a more ergonomic design.(Such as: Button Replacement/Adjustment, Shape Adjustment, ect ect).

This project will be completed as well, I already have everything I need and funding, and knowledge.

Unfortunatly due to weight,size,and ergnomic restrictions this controller will be WIRED. (Not able to have the battery in the case, meaning I have to permanantly attach the sony extended USB cord to the controller. Not to much of a worry though. Its long enough for me. The extended cord is huge.)

This will be a first of its kind. Sure, there MAY be a rip off controller somewhere on the net, but Im using original hardware, original size with a few ergonomic adjustments AND it will be the proper colour of the boomerang controller.

This will be expected to work on ANY type of PS3.

A little surprise also. I'll be making a driver disk from scratch using modified code. Now you ask, whys this? Because, this controller will work with the PC also. (Win 98 and higher). The original PS3 controller does NOT work with the PC. (No official driver. There MAY be unofficial drivers but from what I have tried they do NOT operate correctly. The driver that I am modifying cannot be discussed, as I dont want anyone else replicating this controller or the way it works. ;) )

Depending on how ergonomic I make it, I MAY have to limit Six Axis abilities. All Depends.

Wish me luck guys. This seems hard, but I can tackle it. This is why I took coding and such in school. I have this in my grasp. Heck, its in my hands already.

Pictures coming soon once I get parts in the mail and make the controller.
Last edited by HotDog-Cart on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:19 pm

Cool idea, and with it being corded there are no expensive batteries to replace, and when online you dont loose power in the middle of a game :cry:
EDIT: I know I love sony stuff, but I am trying to make the bright side brighter :)
Last edited by SonyPortableizer on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:30 pm

Well the PS3 controller doesnt take batteries. It has its own internal. So you shouldnt have to replace it. Lol.

But your right about the online part.

Once this is done, I have 1 or 2 other PS3 inspired Controller mods to do. I cant say what they are though.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:18 pm

Dunno why you'd want to replicate this thing, but I'm still reminded of the other incomplete ideas that you've thought up. :|

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:56 pm

Trust me man. This for me....is easy. Like, counting to 10...easy.

collinE

Post by collinE » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:49 pm

do it. I'd love to see a working sixaxis boomerang. I bet there'd even be some people who'd want to buy it! for novelty reasons.

good luck!

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:27 pm

Skyone wrote:Dunno why you'd want to replicate this thing, but I'm still reminded of the other incomplete ideas that you've thought up. :|
+1

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Well thanks to a child support increase, those projects MAY get finished. (Heck, my Dreamcast Laptop is so close to being done. Just needs to be sanded and put together. My touchscreen LCD PC was scrapped, and I have a few more things up my sleeve.)

But guys please, keep this on topic rather than talk about my old projects.

Now heres my question.

1) Krylon Fusion is the spray paint that you guys reccomend for painting plastic cases and such, yes?

2) How much does Krylon Fusion Cost (Roughly)?

3) If Krylon Fusion is NOT Availiable, what other spray paint brands do you guys recommend?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:30 pm

Krylon Fusion is best, but it's quite pricey, around $7 a can I think. To tell you the truth, so long as you lay down a good foundation of primer, you can really have any paint stick to plastic. Krylon brand is by far the best, though. Some people use Rustoleum, but I generally stay away from it because it's had a tendency to rub off over time in my experience, no matter how it's applied.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:49 pm

Okay. I know nothing about painting haha.

(I have plenty of cash to spend on paint and supplies, so money isnt a concern unless its like... you know.. expensive.)

Now, say I get spray paint of some sort. What do I do before or after painting?

Also, what brand of primer do you guys suggest? (And is it a spray?)

Like... are these the right steps?

1) Take Fine sandpaper and "rough" up the controllers plastic so its ready to prime and paint.

2) Spray primer onto the plastic.

3) Once the primer dries spray paint onto the plastic.

4) Wait for the paint to dry, and apply another coat of paint.

Are those correct?

Also, according to Canadian Tires Website (A famous store for hardware in Canada), they offer these Krylon Fusions.. (When you click a link, it will ask for your postal code. Just enter L1C 2W5. Thanks.)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... earch=true

AND

AND

The PS3 Controller looks somewhat like a Semi Shiny Silver color. (Not shiny enough to reflect but still somewhat shiny. Like look at the picture of the Controller in my first post and on the net. What color and what type of Krylon Fusion would you suggest?)

(Dont worry. Im SURE they have more colours in store, haha. Its an instore only item, so the black color thats pictured is not the only color they have.)
Last edited by HotDog-Cart on Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:57 pm

I've never seen Fusion run more than $5 a can. I get mine at the local Ace hardware, and it's the same price as regular Krylon. You're in Ontario, right? I believe it's still pretty reasonably priced at Canadian Tire.
ImageImage
TRUCK- Eating kittens and kicking puppies since 1982.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:34 pm

Yea they have it. I just have to figure out which kind is right for me. (My post before this one, asks)

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:37 pm

I see that. When I click on a link, it just asks for my postal code.
ImageImage

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:51 pm

Oh, just enter L1C 2W5. (Sorry.)

mothatrucka
Banned

Post by mothatrucka » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:02 pm

The camoflague stuff is an ultra-flat matte finish. It's supposed to reflect as little light as possible. It won't show fingerprints, like a gloss finish would, but stuff like sweat will mark it.

The textured stuff is supposed to look like hammered metal when it cures. It's pretty much the same stuff Motoman used here. There's shine to it, but the texture helps hide smudges.

The regular stuff, that just says interior/exterior aerosol is what I'd recommend using. There's a bit of metallic shimmer to the silver color. I used it on this project. You can see it best on the legs in the upper left hand corner.

Hope this helps.
ImageImage