Portable Original Xbox Laptop

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

kansurr
Portable Original Xbox Laptop

Post by kansurr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:45 am

I would love to create an original Xbox Laptop. I love the xbox original, because i can play all my old style games on it too. From sega to N64 or Playstation.

- I want to still have a Component output that i can use when i need to
- I want it to run off of a battery for a couple of hours
- I would love to have a component or composite input to my screen as well
- I have modded my xbox and would not need to have the DVD-Drive.
- I would love to build in a wireless bridge to connect to the wifi
- I want to still be able to connect my controllers into the xbox so that i can play with freinds
- I want to have the dvd remote sensor built into it

Things i have already:

- A modded xbox
- A broken laptop (could use lots of the parts) (hopefully the screen but i know that would take some modding) (maybe the battery too?)

Please let me know how this would work, and if it is possible to do all the things that i want to do. Thanks for your help.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Re: Portable Original Xbox Laptop

Post by bicostp » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:49 am

The good news is. there are only a couple things on your list that are impractical or impossible. The bad news? They're running it off of batteries and recycling laptop parts.

Except for the hard drive, there's really nothing worth using in the laptop. The keyboard is PS/2 at best, and probably has an encoder hidden somewhere on the motherboard. It's not worth the effort to salvage it. The screen will require its own decoder board which, by the time you get one, program it, and get it working, will have taken more time, effort, and money than buying a real screen will require. The laptop's case is most likely too small. And the battery will probably need to have its charging circuitry in place, which is almost always embedded in the laptop's motherboard.

As far as batteries go, there's one simple rule of thumb to follow:
You can get batteries that are:
- Long lasting
- Cheap
- Light

Pick two.
Keep in mind, the Xbox pulls quite a bit of power. (It's basically a PC.)

kansurr

Post by kansurr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:28 pm

I figured that a lot of that wouldnt work out.

I pretty much need something that i can use to play video games, when my wife wants to watch those shows that i cant stand (army wives, desperate housewives, etc) you know if you been there.

I know its pretty much a computer, i work with computer for a living. And i have an ibm T61 laptop that i just got for work, and it lasts close to 5 hours on one charge. so hopefully we can get like 2 hours would be nice, and seems possible. I relize laptops are easier to power due to the electronics in them.

I want to play my xbox 360 on it sometimes too, tahts why i want to have input ports as well as output ports, so that i could possibly use it for whatever i need to do.

Any Ideas please let me know. Thanks.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:56 pm

It sounds like you want something like this. The only problem is that original and 360 controllers don't work on the other system. You'd either have to put a board from a wireless controller of each and wire them to the same buttons with a switch to turn on one or the other. Or you could just build a wireless screen and have separate wireless controller for each.
Or, the absolute most simple solution (maybe even cheapest) would be to buy another tv (for either you or your wife to use, depending on what you have and your budget).

kansurr

Post by kansurr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:56 pm

yeah i have been looking into something like that, my bigest prob with that is, that sometimes i am sitting in my bed upstairs and sometimes i am sitting in my couch, and I dun think what he has will work on different floors or in different rooms. I tried to buy another tv and put it there, and i dunno if u guys are married or not, but they dun like to have living rooms that are good for gaming, they prefer ones that are fancy looking.

I need my own room!!!!

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:15 pm

Well i'm not married and I'm only seventeen, but I would figure it depends on who you marry. :wink:

kansurr

Post by kansurr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:20 pm

ohh to be so young again...

haha

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:27 pm

kansurr wrote:I need my own room!!!!
What you need is a garage. "Uh, I'm gonna go change the oil in the car..." I'm 17, too, and my mom only cares about the places people see when they come over. In the basement we have another living room that has 2 tvs and is the game area.

The wireless screen stuff might be able to work on other floors, you'd have to ask the guy that made that one. Controllers could probably handle it as long as its less than 30 feet (probably more, 30 is just a guess).

kansurr

Post by kansurr » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:31 pm

yeah thats true, i will have to use my controller in a few rooms and see which rooms i could use it in.

Maybe an option, right now i am looking into and trying to find out as much information as i can.