Need to relocate L and R on a GCN controller!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Portable Newbie
Need to relocate L and R on a GCN controller!

Post by Portable Newbie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:46 pm

is there a way around the L and R slider switches? they are an insane pain in the arse.

ive heard a rumor that the Gamestop micro controller does not use them. any references? thanks!

Edit:

what i want to know. is if there is a way to remove or if there is a controller that does not use the L and R slider switches. because they get in the way and i would prefer it if they were not needed. (this is for my GCp)

or if there is a way to move them or something. they just are a big pain in my backside for this portable
Last edited by Portable Newbie on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chapel

Re: gamecube controller question

Post by Chapel » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:28 pm

Portable Newbie wrote:is there a way around the L and R slider switches? they are an insane pain in the arse.

ive heard a rumor that the Gamestop micro controller does not use them. any references? thanks!
The regular Gamestop controller uses slider switches with buttons at the bottom end.

Portable Newbie

Post by Portable Newbie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:50 pm

Chapel wrote:
Portable Newbie wrote:is there a way around the L and R slider switches? they are an insane pain in the arse.

The regular Gamestop controller uses slider switches with buttons at the bottom end.
yeah. but what about the MICRO one? ive looked in the clear one, there is no visible Slider switch, but it could be under the button. anyone know?

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:47 pm

I can't remember the difference, but I did notice that the mini madcatz controllers used something different for R and L than the official controllers.

Chapel

Post by Chapel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Portable Newbie wrote:
Chapel wrote:

yeah. but what about the MICRO one? ive looked in the clear one, there is no visible Slider switch, but it could be under the button. anyone know?
Oh sorry, missed the 'micro' part. :oops:

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:16 pm

From what I always understood the sliders are basicly potentiometers....you can find out their resistance when fully pressed. Then simply wire a button an d a resistor of that value in it's place.

Portable Newbie

Post by Portable Newbie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:28 am

jeroen wrote:From what I always understood the sliders are basicly potentiometers....you can find out their resistance when fully pressed. Then simply wire a button an d a resistor of that value in it's place.
that is a really good idea! but would it work? but then comes the issue of having the action of pressing L be able to not only hit its contact. but also the button too...

unless....

would it be possible to make it the same button??

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:14 am

Um wont this make games not work? You are talking about removing entire axes from the controller.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Portable Newbie

Post by Portable Newbie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:40 am

timmeh87 wrote:Um wont this make games not work? You are talking about removing entire axes from the controller.
not trying to REMOVE. just want to relocate. thats all. i guess ill go with my backup method....to recreate the shape of the L and R buttons to compensate because this isnt getting me anywhere lol.

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by techknott » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 am

Get yourself an old audio mixer and use the line faders from that. Then just modify the slider(potentiometer) at one end so you get zero ohms to simulate the button press.