Gamecube Portable (abandoned)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:53 pm

Meh, it really doesnt matter.
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kasar

Post by kasar » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:24 pm

I have to say I fully afree with davicoro.

hey tecknott,are you there? say something! :D

Will you consider add rumble or at least an indicative led for rumble to your portable?
Last edited by kasar on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:21 pm

This is a little off subject, but can u post a pic of the controller connections on the mobo?
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

techknott
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by techknott » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:08 pm

I have a few mobiles knocking around so i guess its not too much trouble to add rumble if you guys really think its worth it.

Ive been away for a few days and just got back so I will be resuming the Gamecube tomorrow hopefully.

Basement_Modder
Portablizer

Post by Basement_Modder » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:14 pm

Horay! :D we thought you had abandoned us!!!
Cheers,
Basement_Modder

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:24 pm

Keen to see how this system finally looks, and its dimensions.

techknott

Post by techknott » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:36 pm

Makes 2 of us my friend. Just cant seem to find the time lately.

FireSkull101

Post by FireSkull101 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Hey techknott I am a huge fan of yours and am kind of new to the hacking world. Iam 13, almost 14 yrs okld, and am looking to make a gamecube portable. Ireally think yours is the best I've seen after doing research for about 6 months and was wondering if you could post instructions online, with some pictures, maybe a budget list, and materials list. I would be greatly helped if you could do that. Thank you.

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:29 pm

FireSkull101 wrote:Hey techknott I am a huge fan of yours and am kind of new to the hacking world. Iam 13, almost 14 yrs okld, and am looking to make a gamecube portable. Ireally think yours is the best I've seen after doing research for about 6 months and was wondering if you could post instructions online, with some pictures, maybe a budget list, and materials list. I would be greatly helped if you could do that. Thank you.
you wont get a step-by step on this site unless you buy Ben's book. Sorry.

Besides, most of the fun of making a handheld is figuring it all out yourself!

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:12 am

dragonhead wrote:
FireSkull101 wrote:Hey techknott I am a huge fan of yours and am kind of new to the hacking world. Iam 13, almost 14 yrs okld, and am looking to make a gamecube portable. Ireally think yours is the best I've seen after doing research for about 6 months and was wondering if you could post instructions online, with some pictures, maybe a budget list, and materials list. I would be greatly helped if you could do that. Thank you.
you wont get a step-by step on this site unless you buy Ben's book. Sorry.

Besides, most of the fun of making a handheld is figuring it all out yourself!
Seconded.

Besides if you're new to the hacking world as you say then it is probably best to start with an older system that is easier, cheaper and it will give you a good idea of wether you enjoy portablizing or not.

If you do and get the skills from your first portable then go onto a gamecube portable by all means.

Finally if you just want a Gamecube portable and aren't interested in modding and portablizing then I wouldn't suggest trying. Many projects I have seen around here have died and its only when someone with enough money and a love for portablizing (like Bacteria who started a case that had taken him hours again because it wasn't perfect) that I can be assured that you'll get a finished product. A lot of labour goes into a portable and you'll need to love doing it not just want to get a portable as a finished product (though if you do like modding then the finished product is your bonus).

Anyway looking good so far Techknot.

FireSkull101

Post by FireSkull101 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:33 pm

I have made a portable PS2 already and I want to do a gamecube because my friend is offering one for five bucks. The reason I need instructinos for the gamecube is because I opened it up and I saw that it was literally stuffed to the brim with components. I bought ben heck's book and it only has instructions for older consoles. That is why I would like instructions

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:47 pm

Did you even read all the other reasons why nobody will make instructions? We get it, you want to build a gamecube portable because you can get one cheap.

I REALLY want to see this PS2 portable you made, what did you do, clip a screen and battery to it? And you say you followed instructions for it, where did you get the instructions from?

I will make this easy: You seem to want to build a gamecube portable because you can get a cheap gamecube. Here is a brief rundown for a low quality, cheap parts.

Gamcube: $5
Screen (Crappy intec gamecube screen): $25
Batteries (3000mah 7.2v nimh, MAYBE an hour of battery life): $35
Assorted case parts (Bondo, plastic, paint): $30
Electrical parts: $10-40, depending on what you have lying around the house.
Tools: Do you have a soldering iron? Solder? Dremel? Assorted other tools? If so, no cost. If not: $30-60

There are always unexpected costs, and this list does not include the prices for when you eventually break something. So, assuming you buy incredibly cheap, low quality parts, do not break anything, and have ALL the needed parts and tools, plus a plethora of spare eletrical parts around the house:

$110. This is the parts cost for a crazy cheap, low quality gamecube portable. Can you handle that price tag?

Excellent

FireSkull101

Post by FireSkull101 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:56 pm

palmertech wrote:Did you even read all the other reasons why nobody will make instructions? We get it, you want to build a gamecube portable because you can get one cheap.

I REALLY want to see this PS2 portable you made, what did you do, clip a screen and battery to it? And you say you followed instructions for it, where did you get the instructions from?

I will make this easy: You seem to want to build a gamecube portable because you can get a cheap gamecube. Here is a brief rundown for a low quality, cheap parts.

Gamcube: $5
Screen (Crappy intec gamecube screen): $25
Batteries (3000mah 7.2v nimh, MAYBE an hour of battery life): $35
Assorted case parts (Bondo, plastic, paint): $30
Electrical parts: $10-40, depending on what you have lying around the house.
Tools: Do you have a soldering iron? Solder? Dremel? Assorted other tools? If so, no cost. If not: $30-60

There are always unexpected costs, and this list does not include the prices for when you eventually break something. So, assuming you buy incredibly cheap, low quality parts, do not break anything, and have ALL the needed parts and tools, plus a plethora of spare eletrical parts around the house:

$110. This is the parts cost for a crazy cheap, low quality gamecube portable. Can you handle that price tag?
I can handle that price and I am willing to spend more on a better battery and better screen. I sold the PS2 to my friend and got the instructions from one of my toher friendswho is a big benheck fan as well and a genius hacker ( he made a PS3 portable in a cereal box) he is not able to figure out a gamecube portable either. Thanks for the advice

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:57 pm

FireSkull101 wrote:I have made a portable PS2 already and I want to do a gamecube because my friend is offering one for five bucks. The reason I need instructinos for the gamecube is because I opened it up and I saw that it was literally stuffed to the brim with components. I bought ben heck's book and it only has instructions for older consoles. That is why I would like instructions
very basic guide made in 3 mins (without pics nor details)

1 - get a gamecube
2 - open it with a custom screwdriver
3 - take apart everything
4 - remove all connectors under gc mobo
5 - solder and connect by wires the Regulator board to the mobo
6 - test if your cube still power on after it
7 - hack/mod the dvd drive (each portabilizer have his own method, you can copy one of those or create your own)
8 - get two controllers and take them appart.
9 - cut some buttoms from one controller´s board and connect them to the other board by wires.
10- solder the moded controller to the mobo
11 - get a screen, and connect it to the composite or rgb at the analog exit after remove the connector and solder the new tv wires.
12 - design a case and build it
13 - design a battery system and buy the parts
14 - join everything, (you also can paint, and fix minor details)
15 - take pics to the system and create a new topic at the correct section ^^( optional, but will be nice)
16 - enjoy your portable :wink: or give your hard worked/moded baby to your friends and lose it :(

(I forgot to say, you will need to test betwen the most of steps for check if the cuarent step has been made sucessfully, and you also will consider the money required and consider if you are really serius to finish the modded system, and obiusly you will need some info for each steep, if you have some questions related to particular stuff, you can post at the cuarent section, the sticky topics are also great friends of any portabilizer ^^)
Last edited by kasar on Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:03 pm

WTF..... A PS3 in a cereal box? Look, if you read this thread, you can easily figure out what to do! The gamecube is not all that hard, I don't see how your genius friend cannot figure it out.

I was trying to be polite, but seriously, "pics or GTFO".
Not how I would word it, but I have been told that several times. I REALLY want to see this PS2 portable, and the PS3 in a cereal box? I don't think that is even possible. If it were, we would see a lot more PS3 laptops around here. Even the one ben made is an enormous monster.

And there is a reason you had to BUY bens book: Nobody is going to spends tens of hours of their time just to make a tutorial for ONE person. If you want to pay somebody to write it up, you might actually get instructions,

Excellent