PS3 or 360

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Atlas
PS3 or 360

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:10 am

So I am finally deciding to buy a next gen, or I suppose a current gen console.

I was wondering if anyone had any specific beefs with any of these two consoles, or which one do you suggest?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew the plugs that are needed in order to use a normal set of computer speakers for PS3 audio.

I guess I am opening the flood gates for debate between Sony and Microsoft fan boys.

Thanks for any help! :D

Grandmasterjimmy
PSN Username:PeglegJimmy

Post by Grandmasterjimmy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:47 am

I'm pretty non-bias, as I'm not a fan of any of the current systems, I got a wii myself, as I've always liked quite of few Nintendo games.

Anyway, it depends. I think a 360 has a lot of good games right now, but you need to pay for online. PS3 doesn't have as many good games but will I think, plus it's online is free.

So it all depends. I think the PS3 will be great down the road, but currently The 360 is better.

But also, theres the dreaded ring of light on the 360.

This is a completely non-bias opionion, as I'm not a fan of 360, or ps3.
Last edited by Grandmasterjimmy on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:55 am

I think you mean not bias man. :)

But thanks for the input.
Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice.

project_failure

Post by project_failure » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:01 pm

Not to play mod, but I think this should be locked now before it gets started.
Sword_Gun wrote:Klef your asking a whole bunch of videogame players.. for girl advice.. Nice.
It is not junk! It is assorted goods with no current use.
-Project Failure

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:16 pm

(I don't own any current gen systems, my newest one is an Xbox)
I think the PS3 would be better if you want more of a media center that happens to play games. It generally has more hard drive space and can play blu ray discs. From playing the in-store displays, the PS3 seems to have long load times.
I think the 360 would be best if you want to play online. Most games come out for both systems, and those that don't usually have an equivalent on the other system. I like the 360 controller more than the PS3 controller.

I would suggest that you spend some time playing both, either at a friend's house or in store. Also look at the games for each system and see which appeals to you best.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:17 pm

What sort of games do you like?

That is generally the most important consideration in buying a new game console for me.

Each system has its strengths and weaknesses, but in the end it is all about the games. For my money the 360 has the best game lineup from top to bottom. That is based on my gaming preferences though as I am unsure of yours.

My long stated personal stance on the PS3 is that I won't get one until Gran Turismo 5 comes out (the real one, not this lame Prologue crap) or I decide I really want a Blu-ray player badly.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:11 pm

I would say 360, but MGS4 changes everything. :wink:

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Idk.
I know it seems trivial, but I care a lot about graphics.
So I suppose the PS3 wins in that category.
I like fps's, and I really do enjoy the online community experience.
As far as exclusives MGS4 is what is swaying me towards the PS3
Yet I've been told it may be coming out for 360?
For me its a toss up.

Most of my pals have 360s. I guess that might be the deciding factor.
Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of choice.

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:35 pm

err THIS AGAIN!!!!!! look farther down in the threads go a couple of pages down its in there already.
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:09 pm

Atlas wrote:Most of my pals have 360s. I guess that might be the deciding factor.
If they have Live and you can afford Live, I would go with the 360.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:12 pm

I would say go with the xbox 360... The PS3 just doesn't have anything out for it or coming out for it except MGS4. 360 has a lot of good games for it already. (Though I may just be saying that because I love a good game of halo...)

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 pm

Atlas wrote:Idk.
I know it seems trivial, but I care a lot about graphics.
So I suppose the PS3 wins in that category.
I like fps's, and I really do enjoy the online community experience.
As far as exclusives MGS4 is what is swaying me towards the PS3
Yet I've been told it may be coming out for 360?
For me its a toss up.

Most of my pals have 360s. I guess that might be the deciding factor.
Actually in pretty much every gaming site graphics comparison I've ever seen between cross-platform games on the 360 and PS3 the result has either been a draw or that the 360 has the better graphics. Usually it is pretty hard to tell a difference in my experience, so you can pretty much look at it as you're getting great graphics with little discernible difference between the consoles.

As far as I am aware MGS4 is NOT coming to the 360. There have been rumors for well over a year now, but nothing more than that. With PS3 sales picking up these days, I have a feeling it will remain exclusive to the PS3.

So at this point it looks like your choice is simple. Is MGS4 more important to you than being able to play online with your friends?

Right now the 360 is the more mature overall product. They have resolved the RROD issue, they easily have the best online service, and they have the aforementioned awesome game lineup.

The PS3 is making progress, but they have a ways to go to catch up. There hardware is excellent, but their online service is definitely lagging behind and their game lineup is improving (getting BioShock in a couple months definitely helps) but still has a ways to go.

I forgot to ask... Do you have an HDTV?

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:48 pm

I have a nice big HD monitor that supports 1080p I was gonna just pick up an hdmi to dvi cable.
Hmmm...well live isnt that expensive and I suppose I could afford it.
Blu ray was also a factor that mattered a lot to me.
But isnt there a blu ray player add on for 360 coming out?

What I really do not know is what cables are needed to take audio from either console and play it on some normal computer speakers.
I am only a kid working on a minimum wage job so my set up is not the best.
I cant afford an HD tv so I opted to go with just a monitor for my computer in the hopes that I could find the proper plugs for the audio as well as the picture.

I suppose I have been swayed towards the 360 side of things, but can anyone answer my audio question?

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:55 pm

You can get an RCA to headphone jack for a few bucks so you can use your speakers with it.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Alright
Thanks guys