XBoX PC laptop

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

superhobo
XBoX PC laptop

Post by superhobo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:31 pm

I am trying to make a laptop myself for my senior science fair project, I want to try to add a 320 gig hd and then install either windows vista or XP somehow onto it. Any suggestions or welcome, help would be nice

crazy_asylum

Post by crazy_asylum » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm

im not sure if you can run xp on an xbox, but you can run linux on it

Neildo_64
Portablizer

Post by Neildo_64 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:56 pm

I would recommend softmodding it first and figuring out what your doing for a dashboard/OS and make sure you can follow through with your plans, then set up a new 320gb hdd with the same stuff you put on the original one and then go from there.
Current projects:
Ultimate N64 Guide
N64 Portable (x2)
NES Portable

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:59 pm

You cannot run Windows on an Xbox, just Linux. (And no QEMU doesn't count; that's not exactly practical.)
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:02 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:You cannot run Windows on an Xbox, just Linux. (And no QEMU doesn't count; that's not exactly practical.)
i'm sure he could get an XP theme for Ubuntu or something and fool the noobs.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Why does everyone always want to run Windows on a non-PC? Lets take the most resource-hogging OS, and try to run it on a very modest PC-like system.
I know people don't prefer to search the internet over asking overs previously answered questions. But running Firefox, I typed "xbox wiki" into the URL bar; and lo and behold, the XBox has a 733MHz processor and 64MB of RAM. Ever try to install XP on a PC with such specs? It'll run, but you can't really do much, and when you try and load Freecell you'll get pissed when it freezes.

I don't want to insult you, but Google is seriously one click away. It is, in fact, harder to use the forum; you have to type more, navigate more, and wait longer.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:42 pm

soundwave wrote:Why does everyone always want to run Windows on a non-PC? Lets take the most resource-hogging OS, and try to run it on a very modest PC-like system.
Agreed. Besides, as others have stated, it's impossible. If you really want to do something to impress others software-wise, either shove a Linux distro on it or skin the dashboard. In all honesty, you really shouldn't worry about petty softmods at this stage in the game, I'd focus more time and effort into getting the laptop itself to work! :wink:

PenguinMaster

Post by PenguinMaster » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:58 pm

soundwave wrote:Why does everyone always want to run Windows on a non-PC? Lets take the most resource-hogging OS, and try to run it on a very modest PC-like system.
I know people don't prefer to search the internet over asking overs previously answered questions. But running Firefox, I typed "xbox wiki" into the URL bar; and lo and behold, the XBox has a 733MHz processor and 64MB of RAM. Ever try to install XP on a PC with such specs? It'll run, but you can't really do much, and when you try and load Freecell you'll get pissed when it freezes.

I don't want to insult you, but Google is seriously one click away. It is, in fact, harder to use the forum; you have to type more, navigate more, and wait longer.
I've ran XP on a PC with a 600MHZ processor and 128 MB Ram and it ran faster and better than any of the other OSs I tried (Win 98, Win ME, Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and another Linux OS I can't remember). People think XP requires a lot more than it does.

That being said I still don't think an Xbox can run XP for other reasons, but it won't run any Linux OS well either.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:34 pm

Search xbox linux in google and I'm pretty sure you'll find a linux distro that runs on the xbox. Oh the wonders of a search engine.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:09 pm

PenguinMaster wrote:

I've ran XP on a PC with a 600MHZ processor and 128 MB Ram and it ran faster and better than any of the other OSs I tried (Win 98, Win ME, Ubuntu, Fedora Core, and another Linux OS I can't remember). People think XP requires a lot more than it does.

That being said I still don't think an Xbox can run XP for other reasons, but it won't run any Linux OS well either.
Think again.. It can run DSL and Puppy extremely well. Including mouse and keyboard support too. :wink:

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:30 am

ghosstt wrote:
PenguinMaster wrote:

Think again.. It can run DSL and Puppy extremely well. Including mouse and keyboard support too. :wink:
how would those run compared to Xubuntu?

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:17 am

grossaffe wrote:
ghosstt wrote:
PenguinMaster wrote:

Not sure. They are EXTREMELY small but fully functional versions of linux. Both they all run great. Fully functional with keyboard and mouse support.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:13 am

Man, what is anyone going to do with windows OR linux on an xbox?

For the cost of portabilizing a freaking Xbox, just buy an old P3 laptop :roll:

Three words: Xbox Media Center. If it cant do it, you probably dont need to be doing it on an xbox.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

grossaffe

Post by grossaffe » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:54 am

ghosstt wrote:
grossaffe wrote:
ghosstt wrote:
PenguinMaster wrote:

Not sure. They are EXTREMELY small but fully functional versions of linux. Both they all run great. Fully functional with keyboard and mouse support.
yeah, i know DSL is supposed to be really small (and i'm not sure i've heard of puppy linux, is that the one smaller than DSL?), but i wasn't sure if it needed to be THAT small. Xubuntu is a version of Ubuntu made for lower end machines, but i wasn't sure how low-end the xbox would be as a PC.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:59 am

The xbox can run Ubutuntu fine. You don't even need to run Xubuntu. And if you want to use DSL, you have to use xDSL