Tough Decision (need some pro's & con's)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
Tough Decision (need some pro's & con's)

Post by ghosstt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:39 am

Ok, so my friends father buys and sells things on ebay for a living. Through this, he has obtained roughly 35 xbox 360's and 7 or 8 PS3's (all HD sizes). He said he could give us some nice discounts on one if we wanted (As my birthday is approaching too.) Now the tough choice.. 360 or PS3... I don't mean to start a flame war, but I'm pretty stuck.. Heres what I have for information:

Xbox 360
-Great Game Library Already (Mass Effect, Bioshock, COD:4, Elder Scrolls 4, Rainbow 6 Vegas)
-Great Upcoming Game Library (RE:5, Fable2, GoW 2, GTA:4, etc..)
-Amazing Online (I'm willing to pay the $50 for a year.. Its a pretty good deal for what you get[demos,trailers,etc])
-Most of my friends have one (online)

PS3
-Pretty OK library (resistance[meh], COD4 etc)
-Solid Upcoming library (GTA4, GT5, RE:5[not sure], MGS 4)
-Online is decent (and free)
-Bluray (but my Projector can only display 720p(so kinda pointless)

So, could you guys try and sway me one way? I'm leaning more towards 360, but not too sure yet..

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:42 am

360. I can list of a large number of games I want to play that's on the 360, whereas I can only think of a couple for PS3.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:51 am

Rememeber, PS3 has better graphics. Just look at GT: Prologue.

I dislike ps3 a lot, yet even I think it looks better than the 360.

Yet since all your friends have a 360, it's better to go with that.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:05 am

Life of Brian wrote:360. I can list of a large number of games I want to play that's on the 360, whereas I can only think of a couple for PS3.
^ That.

The only game I can think of that really interests me for the PS3 is Gran Turismo 5 because the other games in the series kicked ass. (Yes, I do like simulation racing games.)

The 360 has a far superior game library, and it will more than likely get a Blu-Ray drive eventually unless Microsoft is too vain to admit they were wrong in going with HD-DVD and sticks with digital downloads instead. (Which would be really stupid. One HD movie weighs in at 10 gigs, and last time I checked not everyone has a private T3 connection at their house, so it would take more than twice as long to download as it would to watch. Then do you keep it on your hard drive, or only pay for a license to stream it again and pray they never stop offering that service so you didn't wind up throwing money away?)

Dbstew

Post by Dbstew » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:17 am

I think you already answered your own question as all the PS3 aspects, were "OK" and "decent", while the 360's were "Great" and "Amazing". You also mentioned Bluray is kinda pointless..
The only other think I can think of is that the PS3 has more power and better graphics.. But we all know that has nothing to do with gameplay, and since your friends have the 360, I think you should go with that..

DK

Post by DK » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:42 am

HotDog-Cart wrote: Yet since all your friends have a 360, it's better to go with that.
Don't give into peer pressure :lol:

I'd probably go for the 360 anyway if I wanted a next gen console, but I'm a retro addict at heart.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:42 am

Dbstew wrote:I think you already answered your own question as all the PS3 aspects, were "OK" and "decent", while the 360's were "Great" and "Amazing". You also mentioned Bluray is kinda pointless..
The only other think I can think of is that the PS3 has more power and better graphics.. But we all know that has nothing to do with gameplay, and since your friends have the 360, I think you should go with that..
I meant to say as of this point in time, the fact that its a blueray player doesn't matter to me. But I've been looking on ebay, and there are some really nice HDTV's for REAL cheap.. So I may end up getting a little HDTV too.

nc

Post by nc » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:47 am

As a PS3 owner i'd usually recommend getting a PS3 , but in your case it's probably better to get a 360.

It's not nearly as fun if you haven't got a lot of people to play with, playing with randomers isn't the same as playing with friends.

dragonball345

Post by dragonball345 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:03 am

I also own a ps3 but I'm still likely getting a 360 so I can have all the games. It's up to you really though I'm content with my ps3 and am only gonna by a 360 if I can get one cheap. They're basically the same except 360 has some more games and bit better online service but they charge. In closing if I was totally confident the 360 wouldnt break down I would get it. Of course I've had my ps3 break... twice. So whatever.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:26 am

dragonball345 wrote:I also own a ps3 but I'm still likely getting a 360 so I can have all the games. It's up to you really though I'm content with my ps3 and am only gonna by a 360 if I can get one cheap. They're basically the same except 360 has some more games and bit better online service but they charge. In closing if I was totally confident the 360 wouldnt break down I would get it. Of course I've had my ps3 break... twice. So whatever.
Ya, I was just thinking about warranty.. I'll have to ask him about that.

LoyalistRevolt

Post by LoyalistRevolt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:46 pm

Get the 360 most games are out for both systems but they run smother and look better on the 360. Yea the online for the PS3 is free but it is riddled with lag and the components for it cost extra unlike the 360 where everything comes in a box you just have to pay for online.....If you really want a PS3 wait until mid july when it will be 299.
"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:04 pm

ghosstt wrote:I meant to say as of this point in time, the fact that its a blueray player doesn't matter to me. But I've been looking on ebay, and there are some really nice HDTV's for REAL cheap.. So I may end up getting a little HDTV too.
Watch out, a lot of the small 'cheap' HDTVs only support 720, not 1080.

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:06 pm

bicostp wrote:
ghosstt wrote:I meant to say as of this point in time, the fact that its a blueray player doesn't matter to me. But I've been looking on ebay, and there are some really nice HDTV's for REAL cheap.. So I may end up getting a little HDTV too.
Watch out, a lot of the small 'cheap' HDTVs only support 720, not 1080.
I noticed that when I was looking at them. But is 720 high enough HD to show a difference from SD? Cause I think i remember reading somewhere that, 420p is SD, 420i is ED, 720 is HD, 1080 is HQHD?

EDIT: this is my projector..

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma- ... e_DV11.htm

It says it supports 1080i.. (you use a VGA to HD adaptor). When you use a 360, does it let you choose what mode to run? (720,1080,etc) or does it at least tell you what mode it is running? Because im not completely sure that the projector supports full HD.. (I think the manual said only 720)

edit2: do you think that running 1080i on the 360, at 100'' would be good quality?

Negative_Creep

Post by Negative_Creep » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:49 pm

ghosstt wrote:Cause I think i remember reading somewhere that, 420p is SD, 420i is ED, 720 is HD, 1080 is HQHD?
480i/480p = SD
720p = HD
1080i/p = Full HD (unnoticeable difference on any TV under 40")

As for the choice, come on.

What does 360 have? An online service that is down for maintence a lot, game servers just randomly go up and down, most games don't have dedicated servers, offers trailers, demos for about 5% of the Xbox 360 game library, retro games that are worthless, other XBLA games that still aren't worth 800 points, it has a laughable line of exclusives (Halo 3, Crackdown), it only pushes 720p, framedrops are regular and noticeable in nearly every game, RROD is still an issue, dealing with Microsoft customer support sometimes can be a nightmare. 360 had it's run, but it's flawed and stale and Microsoft don't give a crap, not to mention it only has HD-DVD which is a dead format, and the film lineup for the digital downloads is pathetic at best. Want to play your classic xbox games, yeah 360 has BC alright, about 0.5% of games work on it, and Halo and Halo 2 don't even work perfectly!

PS3... has a massively good line of exclusives (Resistance, Haze, Killzone, MGS4, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo, Lair, Heavenly Sword), it has Bluray which is infinitely better than DVD (go on purists, ADMIT IT), does superb beautiful 1080p visuals, appeals to classic PSone fans with downloads that have a cheap price, hardware BC (on 60gb) compatable with nearly every PS2 game released, retains that classic feel with the SIXAXIS/DualShock3 (best rectify ever), and comes with a whole ton of features like Remote Play and that, not to mention PSN is free and is now even starting to rival XBox Live.

Call me a PS3 fanboy, as much as I want to love the 360, Microsoft once again have got it wrong.

rockem sockem forever!

Post by rockem sockem forever! » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:06 pm

as much as i want the 360 to win, i hate to have to agree with negative_creep the ps3 does win on paper for me. i have played nether system (except for the wii) so i'm not one to comment.
gamelver wrote:Cuh Cuh Cuh CLOSERIZED....