Interesting Gamecube battery problem

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:55 pm

thanks. I also need to know from whoever has some knowledge about this, how much mAh a gamecube uses per hour. I think I saw a thread on it somewhere here so I will go do some research.

EDIT: The above question is of course considering that you are using a 12v battery.

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:00 pm

g0ld3n wrote:thanks. I also need to know from whoever has some knowledge about this, how much mAh a gamecube uses per hour. I think I saw a thread on it somewhere here so I will go do some research.
1250 mAh the cube alone

2350 mAh with my screen xenarc

maybe you get with the screen about 1:30 or 2:00 hours of playtime.

but I´m maybe the time differs

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:07 pm

What voltage is your screen? 12v right? So mine should have about the same results, seems pretty good.

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:15 pm

g0ld3n wrote:What voltage is your screen? 12v right? So mine should have about the same results, seems pretty good.
yes, don´t worry, the most of the cube stuff work on 12 volts.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:29 pm

what kind of batteries were in the rechargeable battery pack from the factory? Does it say? NiCd, NiMh, Li-ion, Li-Po or Li-Poly? Depending on which type, perhaps the way you cared for your batteries could be the problem, not the batteries themselves. NiCd requires being run down completely at least once every 5 charges or so to prevent the "memory effect," in other words, if you constantly drain just a little and recharge it, it will quickly lose its capacity. NiMh is similar to NiCd but the memory effect is much less applicable. Li-ion/Li-Po(ly) on the other hand should never be discharged completely, especially Li-Po/Li-Poly (same thing, btw) because if the cells drop below a certain voltage per cell, they will not retain a charge. Most Li-ion and Li-Po devices have a built in function to prevent discharging past the safety point, but if you, say, discharged the battery to that point and then didn't recharge it within a few days, it might have dropped below, causing it to fail. So, if it is indeed a Lithium battery of some sort, always store it charged and if it runs dead, charge it as soon as possible. Also, Lithium batteries have no memory effect, so you can recharge them whenever you feel like it. Just thought I would offer that so you could just buy another battery pack if misuse was the problem instead of trying to McGyver your batteries together and have it not work/blow up/just fail again.

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:36 pm

g0ld3n wrote:
One thing to note, the battery pack that I bought, that I opened, the intec one for the gamecube, the circuit board inside it does not stop the charge once it is fully charged. I remember how I ruined it was that I left it on the charge for over a month and forgot about it. It didn't explode into flames or anything but now it can't turn on the cube with full charge for over 12 seconds. That's why I opened it and am in the process of replacing the cell. So what I am saying is, MAKE SURE THE CHARGING CIRCUIT BOARD STOPS THE CHARGE WHEN IT IS FULL OR ELSE YOU WILL END UP LIKE ME. lol.
Well, not necessarily, I have a cheapass travel charger from radio shack that doesn't stop the charging and it doesn't damage the batteries. Only rapid chargers need to have a shutoff, the one I have takes almost a day to charge 2 AA's, so the current is so low it won't damage the batteries if you leave them on. How long did the battery take to charge normally? also, usually that type of thing is in the charger itself, not the battery pack.

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:11 pm

THanks for the tips, and the charger charged the whole battery in about 4 hours. Thanks for all the tips. I am pretty sure it is the overcharge that killed it as the plastic shell was so hot that when I saw it and touched it to immediately take it off the power, I burned my hands. Thank god it never ignited. And I think near the date on the battery skin it says NiMH really faintly. I posted a picture of the writing on the battery itself you can check it on the first post.