Interesting Gamecube battery problem

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

g0ld3n
Interesting Gamecube battery problem

Post by g0ld3n » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:15 pm

So you would think that everyone here on benheck can mod their consoles and isn't too afraid to open it up. Well, for me, I am just fine with my intec screen and the size is just fine. Just one thing that bothers me, I ordered the intec battery pack that came with it and the screen has served me well but the battery pack died a year ago. This is quite disappointing and everywhere I go people say the same bad things about the battery pack and it's poor quality. Just in case you guys don't know what products I am talking about here they are:
http://homepage.mac.com/denkinews/image ... creen1.jpg
Screen^^ That is good.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3 ... AA240_.jpg
Battery ^^^ Bad.

Here is my interesting problem, I don't want to open my console and hard mod it as I am just as happy with the screen but is there a way I can make/buy another battery and wire it to fit in the cube's little AV plug so it can power the screen and cube? The old intec battery has the wired looking AV plug that goes in the cube. Maybe I can rip it out and wire it to my new battery and have it go in the cube? Anyone got the schematic for it? Anyone know what battery pack to use? Anyone know how to make anything that will help me? Anyone have any ideas? Anyone know why I am asking so many questions?

Thanks for your time. :D

EDIT: Forgot to say, gamecube screen is 12v and I would at least like 1 hour to 1.5 hours of play per charge.

EDIT2: Battery opened, pix of guts below:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4192/imag0182dg8.jpg

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7574/imag0184pj2.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 183it2.jpg
Last edited by g0ld3n on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Open the battery and post some pictures of its guts, that'll help a lot. You might be able to just replace the cells and stil be able to use the rest of the battery.

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:44 pm

vskid wrote:Open the battery and post some pictures of its guts, that'll help a lot. You might be able to just replace the cells and stil be able to use the rest of the battery.
Great idea thanks. But should I just pry it open? I mean, there are no screws. It is just closed shut. Is there a simple way to open a battery safely or should I just pry it open?

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:01 pm

Pry it open carefully? :wink: I just use a small screwdriver or knife to unstick the glue around the outside. That doesn't always work, though, so you might end up resorting to just ripping it apart when you get a bit of the case open (like I usually do).

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:25 pm

vskid wrote:Pry it open carefully? :wink: I just use a small screwdriver or knife to unstick the glue around the outside. That doesn't always work, though, so you might end up resorting to just ripping it apart when you get a bit of the case open (like I usually do).
Alright. I will try. I have nothing to lose anyway. I'll post pictures later when I am successful. Do you actually think I can replace the cells? I mean, is it just a box with cells packed in it? That'd be to easy. lol

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:52 am

Here are pictures of its guts:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/4192/imag0182dg8.jpg

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7574/imag0184pj2.jpg

http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 183it2.jpg

As you can see, one big battery in the middle directly wired to the circuit board. I can cut the wires connecting it as they probably just connect the + and - ends but there is absolutely no model #/clue as to what kind of battery that is. I gave a picture of all that is written on the battery. Just a expiration and/or manufacturing date.

Ideas? What battery to replace it with?

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:38 am

Inside that pack there are 10 cells, 1.2x10=12v. So you just need to get 10 NiMH cells, wire them in series, and hook them up to the board in there. You can get sub-C cells (I'm guessing thats what it has now) with at least 4200mAh capacity, C's go up to 5000mAh. They'll cost you about $7 each (from this site). You might be able to find them cheaper elsewhere.

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Thanks for your help. So they are just 10 double A 1.2v batteries in there? I can get a 10 cell pack of rechargeable batteries cheap from a hobby electronics shop around here. Then I just wire them and it should work correct? Thanks for your help.

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Theres 10 cells, but I think they're sub-C size. If you took the pack to that shop, they could probably tell you how big they are.

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:19 pm

vskid wrote:Theres 10 cells, but I think they're sub-C size. If you took the pack to that shop, they could probably tell you how big they are.
I see thanks. Does the size really matter as I can get normal sized double A's cheaper and I can just mod the case to make them fit but is the size important?

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:29 pm

maybe is this about you are looking for?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?P ... rodID=2260

hey thx for the photos, you gave me a big idea for my gcp, due I have a a lot of those latop batterys at home, but I need get also a protection circuit board for the charging process.

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Hey thanks for the site. I am going to the battery shop today. Interesting enough, I went to the hobby electronics store and they said they don't carry batteries so they gave me the address of a all out battery shop that sells every kind of battery and even orders them for you if they don't have it. I am sure I will find what I need there. Now just to get a good one for my cube. :D

One thing to note, the battery pack that I bought, that I opened, the intec one for the gamecube, the circuit board inside it does not stop the charge once it is fully charged. I remember how I ruined it was that I left it on the charge for over a month and forgot about it. It didn't explode into flames or anything but now it can't turn on the cube with full charge for over 12 seconds. That's why I opened it and am in the process of replacing the cell. So what I am saying is, MAKE SURE THE CHARGING CIRCUIT BOARD STOPS THE CHARGE WHEN IT IS FULL OR ELSE YOU WILL END UP LIKE ME. lol.

vskid

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:51 pm

g0ld3n wrote:
vskid wrote:Theres 10 cells, but I think they're sub-C size. If you took the pack to that shop, they could probably tell you how big they are.
I see thanks. Does the size really matter as I can get normal sized double A's cheaper and I can just mod the case to make them fit but is the size important?
Bigger battery usually means higher capacity. AAs would work, but wouldn't last as long, unless you got 20 and made 2 packs with 10 cells each and wired them both in. I think 20 AAs would have about the same total capacity of sub-C/standard C sized batteries, so if AAs are have the price and capacity of the Cs, it would then just depend on size.

g0ld3n

Post by g0ld3n » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:43 pm

Ok thanks guys for giving me good info. I went to the battery shop and unfortunately they are closed on weekends. :( Oh well, I will try on monday or something.

Also, one last question, just so I am sure before I buy stuff, how much mAh would you say is needed to run a gamecube+12v screen for an hour or so to an hour and a half?

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:41 pm

when more mAh = more charge capacity = more cube playing time on batteries

but the batteries with more mAh are also a little more expensive

about the 12 v, the mAh doesn´t matter, you need to calcule how many volts need per battery

12 volts / 1.2 volts per battery = 10 batterys on serie you need

:wink:

(this is a battery [- +]o)

so here is the correct connection

[- +]o [- +]o [- +]o [- +]o [- +]o [- +]o [- +]o [- +]o [- +]o [- +]o

enjoy ;)