Which 360 game to buy...

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Which 360 game to buy...

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:22 pm

Well, I just got an HDTV for my room, and I wanna test it out. I've got the Wii hooked up to component cables, but 480p is hardly true HD. The only 360 game I've got is Virtua Tennis 3, and while it looks great, I really want a game that's going to show me just what this home theater can do. I've narrowed it down to about three choices:

BioShock- Hear it's incredible. Really want to try it, but I'm not sure if the dark, dreary, underwater scenery is going to keep me visually entertained for 20+ hours.

Oblivion- Played it a bit, it is incredible. Long adventure, plenty to do, and it looks great to boot.

Mass Effect: Same reasons as Oblivion, and I hear the story is pretty deep as well.

So what would you guys pick, of those three? Or how about Mr. Outside Hire? Thanks!

CTFan

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Bioshock is excellent, but I'd rent it. After you beat it and maybe a second play through for achievements, there is not much replay value. You could do two run throughs in a rental period.

Mass Effect has a decent main storyline, although it's quite short and I would say it's more action/adventure than RPG. The side missions can be painfully repetitive and boring and the game can sometimes be a laggy texture pop up mess. The inventory system is crap. I think the game is fun for a short while, but it's probably one of the most over hyped games this year. You can replay it for all of the achievements being different classes and whatnot, but the game becomes so dull IMO it's just not worth it. It becomes grinding fast and the fun is just not there.

Oblivion is a must own, beautiful game, and so much to do and explore. The controls, maps, and inventory system are superb. Get the Game of the Year Edition so you get the two major expansions. A minimum of 300 hours of game play there.

Definitely out of those: Oblivion, no contest.

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Yeah you pretty much have a great list CronoTriggerfan. I can't tell you how many freakin hours i've put into oblivion its insane. The only other game i would suggest to you would be Viva Pinata. Believe me its a highly underrated game.

Bass Creator

Post by Bass Creator » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:58 pm

HALO 3
Reddit

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:59 pm

Hook up an antenna and make use of the digital HD broadcasts. At the very least your local PBS affiliate should carry an HD feed.

You might even be able to get digital signals through your regular analog cable. I have Comcast, and my DVD recorder picks up digital feeds. You might be able to, as well. Most are SD, but you should get at least PBS and CBS in HD.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:13 pm

Bioshock is great. But it depends on taste. But it's reallly one of those games you beat. Put away for awhile, and then start playing again.....the story is aewsome.

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:36 pm

Dead or Alive 4, or Halo 3.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:16 pm

ChrisS wrote:Definitely out of those: Oblivion, no contest.
This is kinda where I was leaning for replay value and all, plus I'm an RPG nut. But how is the story? I crave Bioshock because I hear it's a literary masterpiece, but if Oblivion's is entertaining, then I can see why I would want it even more. Maybe I could just get both...
Twisted Warthog wrote:The only other game i would suggest to you would be Viva Pinata. Believe me its a highly underrated game.
My sister had it, it looked really fun. She never did let me play it before she sold it. :(
bicostp wrote:Hook up an antenna and make use of the digital HD broadcasts. At the very least your local PBS affiliate should carry an HD feed.

You might even be able to get digital signals through your regular analog cable. I have Comcast, and my DVD recorder picks up digital feeds. You might be able to, as well. Most are SD, but you should get at least PBS and CBS in HD.
Really? I'll have to try that. I know the HD rabbit ears are awesome, I've seen them in action and I was sorely impressed. We did pick up a digital cable package though, but it won't be here for a month or so, so I'll check out picking up some channels in HD with what I've got now.
Valium wrote:Dead or Alive 4, or Halo 3.
Owned both before. :P Each were highly entertaining. Sad thing is, I still don't have Xbox Live, so both of them tend to lose their value after about 15 hours or so.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:22 pm

Oblivion.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:30 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Owned both before. :P Each were highly entertaining. Sad thing is, I still don't have Xbox Live, so both of them tend to lose their value after about 15 hours or so.
Then I think you oughta get Live.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:34 pm

Valium wrote:
CronoTriggerfan wrote:
Then I think you oughta get Live.
I agree, if I couldn't have Live, I wouldn't want a 360. And if you have no life, Live gives you unlimited replay value, my friend has played over 11,000 games on Halo 2 and 3 combined.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:42 pm

I'll be getting Live eventually, but the cost would be a bit much for me at the moment. I'd have to get the $100 Wireless Adapter, $50 for the Gold subscription, and another $60 for Halo 3. And right now, quite honestly, PC gaming satisfies my online needs, as does playing some online Wii games. But right now, I'm just looking to simply own some good 360 games. Is there a game anyone could recommend getting that has a good campaign, but also good online, so when the time comes, I can start playing?

CTFan

ChrisS

Post by ChrisS » Tue Jan 01, 2008 3:50 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:This is kinda where I was leaning for replay value and all, plus I'm an RPG nut. But how is the story? I crave Bioshock because I hear it's a literary masterpiece, but if Oblivion's is entertaining, then I can see why I would want it even more. Maybe I could just get both...
Both have excellent stories, it's just that Oblivion has a lot more to it.

I still recommend renting Bioshock, but if you want to buy it I'm sure there are plenty of used copies out there. To save money for now you can buy the regular copy of Oblivion without the expansions for $30 or less. It will take you plenty of time to play without the expansions and you can always pick them up later when you get more cash.

Valium

Post by Valium » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:39 pm

Call of Duty 2, 3, and 4?

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:17 pm

I got Oblivion for Christmas. I kinda forgot I had it until I saw Ben playing it on his 360.

So I've started playing it and I love it. I'm 7 hours in to the game, and instead of doing all the main quests for the moment, I'm leveling and doing quests for the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood.

Get Oblivion, Game of the Year Edition.