Xbox Live: Worth it?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Xbox Live: Worth it?

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:58 pm

I must say, I've never been much of an online gamer. I played Halo online a bit for PC, but other than that, nothing really heavy. That's starting to change, though, as I've started playing many games online for PSP, like Metal Gear Solid and Medal of Honor, and I really enjoy it. My 360 is gathering dust, and I only have 3 titles for it; Gears of War, Viva Pinata, and Dead or Alive 4. A few others have interested me, but not enough to make me go out and get them. Maybe Bioshock...

Anyways, my question is this: Do you guys think going "Live" would breathe some new life into my 360? I'd like to play with a lot of people, both from here and this crazy place called "reality", but is it financially viable on my end? Seeing as the 360 is far, far away from my modem, I'd have to buy a network adapter in addition to the Live service, which means even more moolah for me to spend. And is the Live Arcade something worth having as well? I've heard good things about it. Finally, what games are good online? I'm a bit behind on 360 news, but Lost Planet looks cool. What do you guys think?

CTFan

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:39 am

I would say that it is worth it. Having live for the 360 adds a bunch of features that will make you more likely to use it more often (Arcade, Videos, Movies, Demos). Games that are good on live are Gears of War, Halo 2, and Halo 3? I only really play halo and gow online so i cant recommend much more, overall, its worth it.

nbox360

Post by nbox360 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:55 pm

I have xbox live and it is so much fun. You get access to many features like tournaments, demos, movies, and more. Also online gaming for Halo2 and GoW rockes so it is good to get.

Skyone

Re: Xbox Live: Worth it?

Post by Skyone » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:27 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:I must say, I've never been much of an online gamer. I played Halo online a bit for PC, but other than that, nothing really heavy. That's starting to change, though, as I've started playing many games online for PSP, like Metal Gear Solid and Medal of Honor, and I really enjoy it. My 360 is gathering dust, and I only have 3 titles for it; Gears of War, Viva Pinata, and Dead or Alive 4. A few others have interested me, but not enough to make me go out and get them. Maybe Bioshock...

Anyways, my question is this: Do you guys think going "Live" would breathe some new life into my 360? I'd like to play with a lot of people, both from here and this crazy place called "reality", but is it financially viable on my end? Seeing as the 360 is far, far away from my modem, I'd have to buy a network adapter in addition to the Live service, which means even more moolah for me to spend. And is the Live Arcade something worth having as well? I've heard good things about it. Finally, what games are good online? I'm a bit behind on 360 news, but Lost Planet looks cool. What do you guys think?

CTFan
CronoTriggerfan, two days ago, wrote:It looks awesome, but I probably won't buy it right away. Why? Because Nintendo needs to pull their heads out of their asses and include freaking online with at LEAST one game. To go this long without an online game is inexcusable. Besides, they can put online on Hunters, but not Corruption? Come on.

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:40 pm

Lost Planet sucks big time.

That is all.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:58 pm

Lost Planet is great! What don't you like about it Warthog?

I would admit that the campaign is a little lacking, but multiplayer is a blast. I would definitely recommend it to CTFan.

As far as Live. You get the demos and downloads with just the Silver (free) membership, but if you want to do some online gaming then Gold is the ticket for you. It really comes down to this... Is it worth $4 a month to you to play online? In the end that's all the more it costs. That amount of money can be blown on one breakfast at McDonald's without any trouble, so it's quite negligible IMO.

GRAW 2 and Rainbow 6 Vegas are pretty sweet online. I've already mentioned in past threads my lack of interest in the online for Gears, but most people seem to enjoy it.

I don't know if your only interest is in shooters or not. Because there are always the racing games like Test Drive Unlimited, Forza 2, and PGR3 that are a blast to play online.

On another note. Have you had a chance to check out Blue Dragon yet? I thought I remembered you saying you had an interest in that one.

Anyway... Moving on... :)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:12 am

jones wrote:On another note. Have you had a chance to check out Blue Dragon yet? I thought I remembered you saying you had an interest in that one.

Yeah, I picked it up the day it came out. I must say, I'm really disappointed with it. I mean, it's not a bad game, but it's standard, generic RPG fare, and the story isn't the marvel it's marketed as. In all honesty, I wish I would have bought Prime 3 or Bioshock instead, I almost see it as a wasted trip. :( Kind of a shame, too, because now I feel like I have to trek through the whole game to get my money's worth.

CTFan

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:32 am

Where did you buy it from? Just bring it back and say it was the wrong game and trade it in for another one.

Thats how i bought Bioshock. I brought some crappy 360 games back that I already beat and traded them in for Bioshock. But it does depend on where you bought it from and if you still have the receipt.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:47 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:
jones wrote:On another note. Have you had a chance to check out Blue Dragon yet? I thought I remembered you saying you had an interest in that one.

Yeah, I picked it up the day it came out. I must say, I'm really disappointed with it. I mean, it's not a bad game, but it's standard, generic RPG fare, and the story isn't the marvel it's marketed as. In all honesty, I wish I would have bought Prime 3 or Bioshock instead, I almost see it as a wasted trip. :( Kind of a shame, too, because now I feel like I have to trek through the whole game to get my money's worth.

CTFan
Ahhh... Well that sucks. I kind of lost interest in it after playing the demo. I see Gamefly sent it out to me today though, so I guess I'll give the full blown game a whirl.

Hopefully it isn't too boring...

Too bad you didn't go with BioShock. :(