puting a hd dvd driver in a 360

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

silent killer
puting a hd dvd driver in a 360

Post by silent killer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:05 pm

well is it posible to play games, mp3 and dvd on you hd dvd driver, if so is it posible to put in a 360 with out moding the case?

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:13 pm

I'm thinking no.

The interface is different than the standard drive. It uses a USB port.

It would be theoretically possible to do, but it would involve massive case modding.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

silent killer

Post by silent killer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:25 pm

well use the usb from back route it to the driver and route the out back to usb out port but main thing is will it run all the other crap games, dvd, mp3, pics ect. and the pics of it look like it would fit

lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:31 pm

Complete English sentences with punctuation, please. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking.
Rekarp wrote:

silent killer

Post by silent killer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:50 pm

what im saying is can you use the usb port form the back of the consal to use it.

lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:57 pm

silent killer wrote:what im saying is can you use the usb port form the back of the consal to use it.
Um, yes. That's what it was designed for.
Rekarp wrote:

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:33 pm

MS says the HD-DVD drive isn't fast enough to play DVD (standard) 360 games.

Not sure what your question is but I'm sure that's one of the answers. :D

silent killer

Post by silent killer » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:21 pm

ya thanks but i thought it would be faster then the old driver

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:46 pm

silent killer wrote:ya thanks but i thought it would be faster then the old driver
You mean drive, not driveR, right? Nope, it's actually slower at reading DVDs/games than the stock 360 drive. At least, that's what MS said when asked why they didn't include the HD-DVD drive in the Elite.

lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:31 pm

jperryss wrote:
silent killer wrote:ya thanks but i thought it would be faster then the old driver
You mean drive, not driveR, right? Nope, it's actually slower at reading DVDs/games than the stock 360 drive. At least, that's what MS said when asked why they didn't include the HD-DVD drive in the Elite.
I've got a better reason: $$$
Rekarp wrote:

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:02 pm

I wonder how much more it would of cost Microsoft to put the HD-DVD drive in the Elite.

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:08 pm

Twisted Warthog wrote:I wonder how much more it would of cost Microsoft to put the HD-DVD drive in the Elite.
Like I said above, MS said they didn't do it because the HD-DVD drive is slower at reading normal DVDs than the stock 360 drive, and therefore not fast enough to load games properly.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:20 pm

jperryss wrote:
Twisted Warthog wrote:I wonder how much more it would of cost Microsoft to put the HD-DVD drive in the Elite.
Like I said above, MS said they didn't do it because the HD-DVD drive is slower at reading normal DVDs than the stock 360 drive, and therefore not fast enough to load games properly.
Could it be that the USB interface isn't fast enough? It isn't optimized for speed like the DVD drive's SATA connection (which is faster than USB). And I'm sure that, if they wanted to, the HD-DVD drive could read games fast enough to load right.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 pm

vskid wrote:
jperryss wrote:Like I said above, MS said they didn't do it because the HD-DVD drive is slower at reading normal DVDs than the stock 360 drive, and therefore not fast enough to load games properly.
Could it be that the USB interface isn't fast enough? It isn't optimized for speed like the DVD drive's SATA connection (which is faster than USB). And I'm sure that, if they wanted to, the HD-DVD drive could read games fast enough to load right.
That doesn't make sense, since isn't HD-DVD more information intensive than games?

They didn't include the HD-DVD drive in the Elite because it would be about the same price as a PS3.

PS3: $599

Elite: $479.99
HD-DVD drive: $199.99
Subtotal: 679.98

Subtract about $20 for the DVD-ROM drive, and probably $30 or so for the HD DVD drive's supporting hardware, and the price comes out to about $630. (Prices are approximate, of course.) This would have been bad for Microsoft, since the PS3 apparently has this ungodly bloated sky-high price tag... :roll:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:35 pm

bicostp wrote:
vskid wrote:
jperryss wrote:Like I said above, MS said they didn't do it because the HD-DVD drive is slower at reading normal DVDs than the stock 360 drive, and therefore not fast enough to load games properly.
That doesn't make sense, since isn't HD-DVD more information intensive than games?
I did some research, and after finding that HD-DVD is directly backwards compatible to DVD, I decided that the reason you can't play games on the HD-DVD player is that Microsoft doesn't want you to. Thats all there is to it.