Sony does it again

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

gamer2
Sony does it again

Post by gamer2 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:45 pm

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/767/767128p1.html

Sony is steering away from back wards compatibility on the PS3
Sony has confirmed that European PS3s will only play a "limited range of PlayStation 2 games" at launch because of hardware changes, compared to US and Japanese machines.

In a statement issued this morning, SCEE has admitted that Euro PlayStation 3's will embody "a new combination of hardware and software emulation", meaning the console will still play most PSone games - but far fewer PlayStation 2 games than its overseas counterparts, at least initially.

Although Sony has yet to offer clarification, it's thought software will now handle much of the PS2 emulation rather than the dedicated chip seen in US and Japanese consoles. It's widely believed the reason for the change is to help reduce the already enormous production costs of PlayStation 3, although only Sony can say for sure and, for now, it's remaining tight-lipped. If that's the case though, consumer anger would perhaps be justified, with any savings Sony makes unlikely to be passed onto the retail. Currently, European PS3s will hit shelves priced at £425 / 599 - substantially more expensive than elsewhere in the world - when it launches on March 23.

Of course, before our overseas cousins start getting too comfortable, it's worth highlighting that the news will likely have a knock-on effect, with any changes made to UK PS3s incorporated into future US and Japanese models. Again, Sony is saying nothing but if it's trying to cut costs it's likely the hardware changes will eventually be made across the globe.

Similar to Microsoft's Xbox 360 backward-compatibility strategy, Sony plans to release a series of firmware updates, via the PlayStation Network, that will increase the backwards compatibility of European consoles. Currently, Japanese and American PS3s can handle around 98 per cent of the PS2s catalogue but it's not known what per cent we can expect to see in Europe.

However, Sony has admitted that "certain PlayStation 2 format software titles may not perform properly on this system". As is the case with Xbox 360, it seems that even officially-emulated software might not be 100% compatible with the Sony's PS3. Of course, on the flip-side, manual emulation does offer Sony the potential to incorporate improvements such as 480p progressive scan support for older PS2 titles running on a its new hardware.

Whatever the outcome though, from March 23 you can check which PS2 games are playable on PS3 here.

David Reeves, president of SCEE, said Sony should not be concentrating on PS2 backwards compatibility, instead saying that "company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3, truly taking advantage of this exciting technology".

Although one could argue that consumers will buy a PS3 to play PS3 games on, rather than going back to their PS2 collection, there's no overlooking the fact that once again it seems like Europeans are getting the rough end of the deal.

Discuss

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:47 pm

copulate Sony. I live in US, i hate Sony, and that is very unfair.

Sony: Let's charge them more for less!

r3ap3r

Post by r3ap3r » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:33 pm

Well i live in Australia and that isnt great news but i dont hate Sony they own, i have worked with them for 2 weeks for School work experience and that now gives me a challenge go make them play all PS2 games. I am already able to play PSP games on PS2 and i rewrote the snes station emulator so it runs at 100%( with be released to public in about a month). Well anyway Cheers^_^

TitaniumHamster

Post by TitaniumHamster » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:06 pm

r3ap3r wrote:I am already able to play PSP games on PS2 and i rewrote the snes station emulator so it runs at 100%( with be released to public in about a month).
Sure you did.

Anyway, this is another story that makes me ask, What is Sony smoking? I mean, it's one thing to launch a expensive handheld out on the market, but it's another to launch a $700 dollar home system with no killer apps. The PS3 is a lot like the DMC Delorean (remember those?)(no, they did not really travel through time.) It's a super sexpensive piece of untested technology. The PS3 is a supurb computer, which is actually priced cheaper that it really should sell for, but it is still completely unnessesary in every way. If I wanted a Gaming PC, I would buy one. I miss the good ol' days of the PS2. Why did sony ruin their track record with super expensive products?!?
" ! "

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:18 pm

r3ap3r wrote:Well i live in Australia and that isnt great news but i dont hate Sony they own, i have worked with them for 2 weeks for School work experience and that now gives me a challenge go make them play all PS2 games. I am already able to play PSP games on PS2 and i rewrote the snes station emulator so it runs at 100%( with be released to public in about a month). Well anyway Cheers^_^
Vid's or it didn't happen.

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:29 pm

TitaniumHamster wrote:
r3ap3r wrote:I am already able to play PSP games on PS2 and i rewrote the snes station emulator so it runs at 100%( with be released to public in about a month).
Sure you did.

Anyway, this is another story that makes me ask, What is Sony smoking? I mean, it's one thing to launch a expensive handheld out on the market, but it's another to launch a $700 dollar home system with no killer apps. The PS3 is a lot like the DMC Delorean (remember those?)(no, they did not really travel through time.) It's a super sexpensive piece of untested technology. The PS3 is a supurb computer, which is actually priced cheaper that it really should sell for, but it is still completely unnessesary in every way. If I wanted a Gaming PC, I would buy one. I miss the good ol' days of the PS2. Why did sony ruin their track record with super expensive products?!?
What track record? lol. Only game I ever liked for any Sony consol was the Gran Turismo Series, thats the only reason I got a PS2.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:45 pm

I just got a PS2 and Shadow of the Colossus and that and maybe a couple of other games is the reason I have it.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:55 pm

Well, their marketing managers have shiz for brains

PSP = nice but too damn expensive

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:05 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:Well, their marketing managers have shiz for brains

SS
and PSP has Shiz titles, only game I see that is any good is Monster rancher (I heard its good) and Lumines.

DS PWNS!!!!!

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:14 pm

Your sig proves that :lol:

But it has kickass emu's I believe.

I want perfect snes!

SS

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:23 pm

Jongamer wrote:

SS
and PSP has Shiz titles, only game I see that is any good is Monster rancher (I heard its good) and Lumines.

DS PWNS!!!!!
Homebrew for PSP is better and easier as long as you have the right firmware, no need to buy special cartridges for homebrew.
DS does have better "official" games, its Nintendo of course.

TitaniumHamster

Post by TitaniumHamster » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:25 pm

Jongamer wrote: What track record? lol. Only game I ever liked for any Sony consol was the Gran Turismo Series, thats the only reason I got a PS2.
Well, when you look at how the PS2and PS took over the market, and you notice the games that made both systems, you have to admit they had something going for them. But the PS3? What does that have going for it?
" ! "

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:32 pm

vskid wrote:
Jongamer wrote:

SS

DS PWNS!!!!!
Homebrew for PSP is better and easier as long as you have the right firmware, no need to buy special cartridges for homebrew.
DS does have better "official" games, its Nintendo of course.
Well Thats what I mean. HB for psp is supposedly better. When I recieve my psp from harshboy, I'll know.

SS

totokan

Post by totokan » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:38 pm

r3ap3r=new SS
SS: N64 100% on a ds
r3ap3r: PSP on PS2
both lying, attention-craving wannabes.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Jongamer

Post by Jongamer » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:38 pm

TitaniumHamster wrote:
Jongamer wrote: What track record? lol. Only game I ever liked for any Sony consol was the Gran Turismo Series, thats the only reason I got a PS2.
Well, when you look at how the PS2and PS took over the market, and you notice the games that made both systems, you have to admit they had something going for them. But the PS3? What does that have going for it?
Well PS2 had a good track record because the 3rd party developers loved the PS1, hell they were still making 3rd party ps1 titles quite a while after the PS2 came out.