Nintendo DS games 'console'

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer
Nintendo DS games 'console'

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:28 am

I've got a spare Nintendo DS lying around that I don't have much use for, and I was thinking about turning it into a videogames console, complete with controller.

Any suggestions?

I want to head in the reverse direction from making things portable, to making portables a console.

Things I'd like to do...

Bigger view
Bigger Touch screen
hard wire a controller, with a controller housing the touch panel for the touch screen (posibly).

Now, one issue I have currently is that the connections or the screen aren't standard (as far as I know) so I'll need to enlarge the screen's display another way.. Any suggestions?
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.
vskid wrote:I'm safe, I live in Utah. :P

josh

Post by josh » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Take out the bottem and use it as the controler and wire the top screen to an AV jack (Extremely hard).

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:02 pm

the controller, wire to the button contacts, and connect them all to one sort of port that is common. send them to some tact switches/contacts in a custom board. So, that should be easy enough. for the touch screen, you might have to get a lot of extensions for the screen connector, and send it to the controller, and you can touch it. Video- can't help ya. >_<
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:45 am

I've tried to contact DarkFader about the video signal, because he's said to me before that he's managed to get a video signal from his DS. at GAME they have a dummy DS lite model, which I can use as a controller. Possibly with a parallel DB25 interface because of the wires needed for the touch panel.

if I can't get a video signal, then I'm going to cam it using an old Logitech quickcam. and mounting it in focus of both of the screens, then wiring the controller to it.

of course, this limits DS playing to the PC, in a low resolution and crap light.
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.

x24

Post by x24 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:33 pm

about the video.. this was released back in august ..
http://www.qj.net/Play-the-DS-on-your-T ... /aid/63650

its by the same group that made the gba to tv adaptor so it must be possible.. havent seen it anywhere for sale tho..

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:15 pm

Well if ease is more of a thing than size, then go for the adapter, but if size is a big thing, then just use the direct video signal found on the DS.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:30 am

That Qmark DS to TV doesn't exist.. I've been speaking with their sales department for the past few months and they said it was only a prototype and it might not go for sale due to the extensive hardware modifications it requires.

Quite honestly, I don't mind doing extensive hardware modifications, but I doubt they're going to release a prototype to me... or even the design.

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:54 pm

NP made one that looks just like a ATA cable that plugs right into the back of the DS. So there must be some sort of video signal coming from the charge/data port.
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:14 am

Mikeyman64 wrote:NP made one that looks just like a ATA cable that plugs right into the back of the DS. So there must be some sort of video signal coming from the charge/data port.
The charge port only gives out audio, not video... and audio can be tapped from anywhere, anyway.

Who's NP?

Mikeyman64

Post by Mikeyman64 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:09 am

Nintendo Power. I've got a picture in one of my mags of the workiong adapter, I just have to find it.
Go Here! On Your Wii!

Matt. 5:27