a old XBOX, GAMECUBE...and DELL

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

twistyblue
a old XBOX, GAMECUBE...and DELL

Post by twistyblue » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:32 am

okay...so heres the case....my friend gave me his old xbox the other...cuz..well its old...and he has...360 now.....as for my gamecube...the friggin power outlet broke! wtf...this is the second time...but this is a weird case...everytime i plug it in...smoke starts to appear. and i got this gc last christmas!!!..and lastly...another friend of mine...gave me his dell inspiron 1100.....the problem with that....no clue...it turns on..i see the lcd turn on and all that crap..but..it just wont work...
maybe im cursed with electronics that were given to me... so in conclusion i want to um...do something with it....somehow work all these together....so here is what i have in mind...i want to use the laptop hdd and the cd drive...for the xbox...wondering would that be possibel...want to slim down this huge junk!!! =D....and for the gamecube...i want to use the LCD from the laptop and the battery...making this one a portable...yes i know...how much i would be spending on the laptop lcd...but before i start on it...i want to know if any of these two mods are possible...and how do i test this lcd screen if it really works? i dont want to buy the controller for the lcd if the lcd itself doesnt work at all...

haha i know this is one long dull idea, and excuse the incorrect grammar =D i suck in english

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:36 am

You can use the laptop HD in the Xbox, just get a laptop to desktop convertor and a modchip.

I'm not sure about the laptop DVD drive. Some of them have funny connections.

You can't test the screen without some sort of input, but you can use the battery to power the portable. (Use the laptop itself as the charging station.)

A converter for the laptop screen would probably be more than a couple hundred bucks.

Mr. Hawkins

Post by Mr. Hawkins » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:45 am

Laptop LCD screens don't work, they use digital signals instead of analoge signals. As for the hdd, it could work. There are sites that tell how to install new hard drives and there are even some products you can buy, like this. As for the cd drive, I have no clue. This article discusses using a pc dvd drive on the Xbox, I guess it could work. Hope that helped
It's not about quantity, but rather quality

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:30 pm

Here's what you should do.

Get the xbox, and use an ActionReplay/USB flash drive+USB/XBOX converter to save the SIDeluxe gamesave exploit on it. When you run the gamesave through Mechassault, you have the ability to open up Chimp, an in-console hard drive copier. Open chimp, then open up your XBOX and, while chimp is still running, swap the IDE cable from the DVD drive to your new laptop hard drive. Then use an external power source, such as your computer's PSU, to power the drive, and turn it on.

Chimp will recognize the drive. Use chimp to copy all the contents of your old hard drive to the new one. It will only take a few minutes.

After that's done, turn the XBOX off, and replace your old hard drive with the new one. Plug your DVD drive back in. Now get a different gamesave (I prefer UDE) that will install a new, custom dashboard on your system. Evox is the recommended choice to start off with (you'll probably grow out of it, I moved on to XBOX Media Center after a few weeks).

Once you've done that, back up your games to your newly installed hard drive. Now flash your TSOP (see here for more info) with the X2 5035 BIOS (you can get it on xbins), make sure to place the X2Config file in your E:/ drive. Be very careful that you get the correct size for your version of XBOX. If you have anywhere from 1.2 up, you can't flash your TSOP, you'll have to either keep your DVD drive in, or you can cut it down to its bare PCB if you like.

Now your XBOX will boot without the DVD drive in. Now you can slim mod your XBOX to your liking.

At least that's how I did it. An easier way would be to buy a modchip, but hey, modchips cost money.

I don't think there's a way to use an optical drive from another computer without the original DVD drive in. What you can do is cut the stock DVD drive down to its bare PCB, and use an IDE and Molex splitter to run the new drive. I'd rather just back up my games and plug in the DVD drive when needed.

-Joe

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:49 pm

According to dkap01, you can bridge some stuff to make the Xbox think the drive is there. So if you do that, I bet you can use a different drive.

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:34 pm

vskid wrote:According to dkap01, you can bridge some stuff to make the Xbox think the drive is there. So if you do that, I bet you can use a different drive.
I think that's only if you have a certain modchip installed. Not sure though.

twistyblue

Post by twistyblue » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:47 am

umm to reply from everyone...umm...okay...so about using the battery i see thats possible...can someone help me look into this one more?...of course wanting it on my GC =D...and about the laptop screen....my friend has a converter that converts his gc cables to VGA...and for the laptop converting thingy =D haha i know its over hundred bucks...i heard its around 200$ but hey! most of good..nice looking mods take up that much money anyway right! =D haha unless someone else can recomend me a screen that bigger than 10in. i'll take that to consideration...
also theres another thing i want to do with the gc...i want to put the gc in the laptop chasis...i was thinking how can i slim it down...i mean is there parts i can get rid i of? everything fits...if i spread it out...and the controller ports fit perfect under where the CD drive use to be...so i was thinking if there was anymore ways to slim it down...

now on to xbox mod...hmm...yes and im waiting on a friend to reply back on lending me evoX...and i can always rent the mecha game...the only problem i have with this mod..would be...i dont know where to get a action replay card...and for the cd drive i'll drop that part...instead...i'll work on a slimmer case instead =D

Da Shimsta

GAMECUBE

Post by Da Shimsta » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:53 am

im workn on a portable gamecube myself and the problem that i have found is the disk drive

The mobo and chassis for the mobo are about 1 inch thick so pretty tiny but the disc drive takes about 1.5 inches

My gamecube right now assembled stacked like a normal cube is actualy only about 3.5 inches which is about 2 inches less than the original gamecube so that proves you can slim up the cube, but the disc drive has a 32 pin connector that connects its drive pcb to the mobo. The roblem is to move the disc drive you would have to wire 32 wires to the mobo and 32 wire ends to the disc drive pcb, thats 64 frekn wires that are very small. SO IM STUCK WITH THE ISSUE OF THE DISC DRIVE.

Another problem!!

The connector for the disk drive cannot be desoldered because they dont go through to the other side of the drive?
They are like implanted in the middle of the board and somehow attached?

IM CONFUSSED

For starters though your going to want to remove the expansion ports off the bottom of the mobo. They take up about 1 inch of room so thats a lot!

You can simply desolder them or like i did rip them off with plyers and then remove the solder with a dremel tool.

Hope that helps a little!

Can you tell me how you figured out the cd drive conundrum