Emulation scene for PS2

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
Emulation scene for PS2

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:15 pm

Hey guys. I made a thread expressing my interest in PS2 Emu here, and now I think I'm ready to start taking this more serioulsy. I wanna throw it in the portable Skyone is making for me, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I'm in it strictly for SNES, NES, and Genesis, using the PS2 emulators from Zophar's Domain. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to start. For instance, what would I need to buy to do this (modchips, boot discs, etc.)? How do I save the emulators to the PS2/Modchip, and how do I save ROMs from there? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never done emulation on consoles/handhelds before, so this is all new to me. The help is very appreciated!

EDIT: Also, I'm using a slim ps2 for this, if that makes any difference. And does anyone know how much this'll cost (about)?

Thanks,
CTFan :wink:

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:26 pm

Eh, if you're serious about this, I can build in a modchip like I offered before. I say yes about it, there's a lot of emulation for the PS2 such as the 5200, Commodore, NES, Genesis and SNES. Of course there's a ton of homebrew out there.

http://ps2dev.org/

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:20 pm

If you had've used an old PS2 you could've ran an IDE or a laptop hard drive actually. With the newer PSTwo, you have to use a USB hard drive, and it isn't nearly as compatable as the internal IDE drives.

When using a chip, you have to put your homebrew/emu's on a cd/dvd drive, they won't install directly to the chip. There are some exploits to get the emu itself onto the memory card, but you would still need a cd/dvd with your roms. Also, the only emu that works with a hard drive is SNES, it doesn't work very well on hard drive yet, but at least it is still an active project.

Busterblade

Post by Busterblade » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:35 am

How well can each system emulate on PS2?
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:30 pm

Nucklez wrote:If you had've used an old PS2 you could've ran an IDE or a laptop hard drive actually. With the newer PSTwo, you have to use a USB hard drive, and it isn't nearly as compatable as the internal IDE drives.

When using a chip, you have to put your homebrew/emu's on a cd/dvd drive, they won't install directly to the chip. There are some exploits to get the emu itself onto the memory card, but you would still need a cd/dvd with your roms. Also, the only emu that works with a hard drive is SNES, it doesn't work very well on hard drive yet, but at least it is still an active project.
Oh, okay. So can you shove the emu/ROMs on a CD-R/CD-RW, or anything of the like? And do you know of any info on how to get the emulator on the mem card? Thanks! :P

CTFan

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:55 pm

not the memcard, either off a dvd or ona hard drive

40 wires for the slim to get one ....I would advise it if you want, (since the work will be piled on sky anyway, and he is a wiz with a pencil solder :P )

If you think about it just place an ide cable on the back or possibly two serial ports (since they got screws :D ) label them opne and two and therefore it could be removable...everyone is happy (except sky)

But while your there just get modchip since I believe thatis whatenabled segasonicfan to boot up his emulators (since it could play the blank dvr's)
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:14 pm

Krepticor wrote:not the memcard, either off a dvd or ona hard drive

40 wires for the slim to get one ....I would advise it if you want, (since the work will be piled on sky anyway, and he is a wiz with a pencil solder :P )

If you think about it just place an ide cable on the back or possibly two serial ports (since they got screws :D ) label them opne and two and therefore it could be removable...everyone is happy (except sky)

But while your there just get modchip since I believe thatis whatenabled segasonicfan to boot up his emulators (since it could play the blank dvr's)
Wait...what? So can I or can't I use CD-RWs for running the Emu/ROMs off of while using the DMS4 Lite modchip? ?:? Now I'm confused all over again!

CTFan

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:58 pm

Ok here are your options I thought you wanted to run the emu off a memcard...not going to happen...

saving on the memory card...possible

Hard Drive = good idea = more space and complex wiring = not pratical for a portable m(well one that fits easily in the hands

hereby I suggest one that is easily detachable wih either IDE slots or SERIAL interface connectors (serial since they have screws built in and they are very cheap and easy to come by, not that ide isn't it is just serial kinda well isout of date to some so it is easier in that respect)

now, Running off a DVD-r = yes = load times and game lag (since it is a disk format, th entire level has to load and blah blah blah)

So recap
Just like computer, harddrives are for speed since they don't need to load as long, disks just have slow loading times, and yes the save data should be able to go on the memory card (if it is anything like dreamSNES...kinda what I am basing it off from personal experiences)

And finally, read the "to do" lists on the sites zophar links you to...Star with dreamcast since it is very easy to get into then work you way up (trust me DreamSNES will take you like a day to get...tops...just don't forget to get the right images and right format for that...also, read the emu's forums they help...most of the time with a tutorial)

sammy

Post by sammy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:49 am

The ps2 certainly has a lot of emulation capabilities. Their just not that well known. First thing I'd do is get a ps2 hd.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:13 pm

Okay, since it's been mentioned a couple of times, just know that I can't use a hard drive for this. Not only is it a slim PS2, but it's being used in a portable, and a hard drive would be unnecessary size and weight. Therefore, I want to use a disc for this. What kind of disc could I use?

I'll be using Nero to burn the disc, and I want to try my hand at SNES Station for initial use. How would I go about getting the emulator and ROMs onto a disc of the correct format (CD-R, DVD-R, what?) to play on the PS2p?

Thanks,
CTFan :wink:

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:57 pm

go here
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/293195
I think that will cover it

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks for the link kreciptor! It helped.

EDIT: Okay, I was looking around some more, and checked out the directions for burning discs on the SNES Station site, here:

http://snes-station.gamebase.ca/index.htm

If you go to the sidebar, click on the downloads section (the floppy symbol) and there will be a CD Walkthrough Guide. It is a step-by-step guide on how to burn a CD with ROMs on it using Nero, my program of choice. Although I'm a bit confused. Is that guide just describing how to put ROM files on the disc, or the emulator as well? Thanks!

CTFan

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:07 pm

It would appear that the CD includes the emulator, as there are three files, SYSTEM.CNF, INSTALL.CNF, and SNES_EMU.ELF, in addition to the ROMs.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:43 am

Cronotriggerfan: You can burn emulators and roms to CD's all day long. That is the recommended/required media for most of the emulators actually.

None of the emulators even work off of a hard drive except SNES Station, but since you don't need a hard drive, I will drop the subject from here on out. :)

As for the memory card saving the emulators, it is simply called the memory card exploit. IMO it sux, and is useless for the most part because you need to boot off of a cd to get it to work. Why not just make a bootable PS2 CD in the first place and not worry about the memory card exploit.

Last but not least, the DMS4 Lite will easily boot any backup/homebrew CD/DVD/DVD-9 that you want!

My recommended emulators are as follows:

NES = It Might be NES (Although it was written for the PSOne, it works great on the PS2.)

SNES = SNES Station (Works almost perfectly!)

Genesis = PGen (Works even better than SNES Station does)

You also have TG16, Master System and tons of Atari emulators. I haven't tried all of them, or I simply can't remember since my PS2 is gathering dust after getting my new Wii.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:21 pm

Thanks for the info, Nucklez! I'm gonna start getting more info on SNES Station now. And since I now know that CD-R is the most widely accepted format for doing this, can you use CD-RWs as well? Probably yes, but I just wanted to make sure before I went out buying some... :lol:

Thanks,
CTFan