DualShock1 on PSTwo? Full compatibility?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
DualShock1 on PSTwo? Full compatibility?

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:13 am

Okay, I just got this white PlayStation controller (the one that says PSOne on it) and I tested it with the game Phantom Brave, and it worked flawlessly. Will it work with all other games as well, or are there compatibility issues? For that matter, what's the difference between this controller and a DualShock2 besides color?

Thanks,
CTFan

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:02 am

On the DualShock 2, all the buttons (D-pad, shoulder buttons, face buttons) are analog, and on the DualShock 1 they're all digital. I think that's the only difference.

However, most PS2 games don't take advantage of the analog buttons.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Re: DualShock1 on PSTwo? Full compatibility?

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:20 am

CronoTriggerfan wrote:Okay, I just got this white PlayStation controller (the one that says PSOne on it) and I tested it with the game Phantom Brave, and it worked flawlessly. Will it work with all other games as well, or are there compatibility issues? For that matter, what's the difference between this controller and a DualShock2 besides color?

Thanks,
CTFan
Although it should work I did do this before, plugging a Playstation (1) controller into a PS2 system and try to play a PS2 game. I got a message like "Please insert a PS2 Dual Shock Controller." A PSone contrller might work, try it, but I know the older ones, like the first to have analoge sticks, don't.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:32 am

Doesn't the analogue buttons mean they're pressure sensitive? e.g. pushing X very slightly will give you slow acceleration / top speed etc?
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.
vskid wrote:I'm safe, I live in Utah. :P

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:52 am

@sparkfist yeah the first generation playstaton grey analog controllers won't work, but the latest grey playstation controllers and the PSone controllers will work. I don't know what is so different about the old revision and the new one :? but the old just won't work.

Solidus

Post by Solidus » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:10 am

EnterTheHatrix wrote:Doesn't the analogue buttons mean they're pressure sensitive? e.g. pushing X very slightly will give you slow acceleration / top speed etc?
Only game i can think of that uses them is metal gear solid 3, where for example lightly pressing the button raises your weapon, and pressing it all the way makes it fire.

eastsider_1

Post by eastsider_1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:37 am

The PSX controllers will only work for playstation games if played on the ps2, but the psone controller will work on most ps2 games, but if you use it for NFS underground 2 or any game that requires you to use the analog stick, it wont work. Also, the pressure sensitivity is why they upgraded the chipset from dualshock to dualshock 2. Just get a Dualshock 2 contoller and save some time and money. :wink:
PS2M-99% -Final Stages of the 1st O.G. PS2 Portable (Will this ever get done??)

PSTwoSP- 50%
Rewiring Controller, LED Modding Screen

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:05 pm

CTFan, I think I may be able to snag a DualShock 2, I'll let you know.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:13 pm

i have these, they work great and seem to be 100% compatable. only downside is that the analog sticks aren't quite as durable as official ones. they are interchangable with PS1 or PS2 analog sticks though so they're easy to fix if something goes wrong and they're cheap :)
ImageImage

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:26 pm

What the crap? The X O, Triangle and Square aren't labeled?

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:43 pm

Skyone wrote:What the crap? The X O, Triangle and Square aren't labeled?
Exactly what I thought. :|

Perhaps there OEM controllers that are (were) supposed to be shipped out to be branded by other companies?
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:10 pm

those are crap, I bought one of those unlabled ones, and the right analog stick broke after one Call of Duty session. Go for these labled ones I have one of those and it is just as good as an official controller. plus they are more hackable because they don't use that film stuff for the face and shoulder buttons.

Xiro

Post by Xiro » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:00 am

Solidus wrote:
EnterTheHatrix wrote:Doesn't the analogue buttons mean they're pressure sensitive? e.g. pushing X very slightly will give you slow acceleration / top speed etc?
Only game i can think of that uses them is metal gear solid 3, where for example lightly pressing the button raises your weapon, and pressing it all the way makes it fire.
also, a lot of racing games use this feature. Grand Turismo 3 and 4 i know do, because i've played them at a friends house, but i'm assuming its pretty standard