Xbox portable idea

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

bizzy401
Had a wierd dream...

Post by bizzy401 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:36 am

Okay I lurk around these boards a lot and probably have read everything there is to read. I am very interested in making a portable. I have some experience, as I have modded well over 100 Xboxs. The thing is, the only person to make a "portable" Xbox has 50% of his room gone from Batteries. How many volts and mAh would be chewed up using the motherboard - laptop hardrive - psone screen - contoller (gutted down) - DVD Drive (this may have to be external)

I have an incredible idea that acctually came to me in a dream last night. I will post schematics as soon as I can. I just need to know if the power consumption is too much for a small battery like the ones in Ben's Handhelds or if it is plausible, because I have the size problem all figured out. If this all works...which I am pretty sure it will...it will be ALMOST as small as one of Ben's Handhelds...almost...with a very similar design. he he

Can't wait to reveal this concept.

Niku-Sama

Post by Niku-Sama » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:00 am

its a computer....

take into consideration that a P3 733 uses a lot of voltage compared to things more modern, a lap top hard drive and dvd rom do consume less power how ever you are powering the busses they connect to (instead of the drives directly) ram uses atleast 2.6V mabe more, 12V rails, 3.3V rails, 5Vrails all seperate....other things aswell

so basicly the earlier comment with the backpack and a car battery is the most viable one

a dreamcast has similar rails how ever you power the moterhboard you power everything else at the same time so much easier x-box is not this way

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:01 am

If someone wanted long life on their x-crate (yeah, itd be the size of a small crate) portable, I'd suggest leaving batteries to a phanny pack type of thing, that'd hold a number of high-capacity li-ion batteries.

bizzy401

It wsa worth a shot right?

Post by bizzy401 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:17 am

Yeah, you guys are right. I refuse to acctually build something that is not "portable" . Wishfull thinking I guess

Well, Back to my GAMECUBE!!!

(I want to get the Cube done before Zelda comes out)

Doofus

Post by Doofus » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:50 am

I've decided there's no point in making a Gamecube Portable, because of the news at GDC '05 that the next Nintendo system will be backwards compatible with the GC, so I'd rather just wait and make a portable for that. :?

nos_slived
Higher Idiot

Post by nos_slived » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:55 pm

You could wait, however the proposed release date for the N5, otherwise known as the "Revolution", is late 2006, more than a year and a half away.

mike24

Post by mike24 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:30 pm

going back the xbox portable.... why not forget the case. replace the hard drive with the smallest one you can find (maybee a laptop hard drive if possible) and try to replace and rearrange every possible then add a screen and battery power that will work and make a new case. like basically make a table top portable. theres no way with out some serious skills and a lot of modifying that you can make xbox hand held.the portable could be a back pack type thing the controllers obviously being external. ..... dunno might be kool but also i guess the xbox power is really screwey.

some one might want to try it

*o*

Post by *o* » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:41 pm

the xbox would be a portable technically not physically it would way a ton (3 to be exact) i wouldnt go near it myself.

halokiller27

NO WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by halokiller27 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:52 pm

is imposible to make an xbox portable is big and is heavy there is no way it can be portable
xbox and ps2 = PC
Gamecube = Apple Mac
Sega dreamcast = Solaris, Linux

MasterChieff44

Post by MasterChieff44 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:19 pm

not true at all, anything can be portable. just plug in a screen and add a battery pack and it's portable.

Current Projest: SnesP
Stage: eBay

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Thats over simplifing it.

The Xbox's Hard drive can be replaced with a Laptop, esily! All IDE(E) hard drives use the same pinout, the only thing special about laptop is that they have the 4 power pins combiled together with the 40 data ones.

Now as for the DVD-rom heres an idea. Either strip the Rom down to a board and pu in your own DVD slim using the mod, or you can remove the tray of it and have it set up like the DCp or GCp.

The Xbox is also 8 lbs. standard. Strip down the DVD-rom, Replace the Hard drive and add a nice big battery you'll likely end up at the same weight. It will also be about a foot wide, does anyone really want to have that ?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

MasterChieff44

Post by MasterChieff44 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:16 pm

no, it would be annoying, but it's still portable by definition. i never said convinient.

Current Projest: SnesP
Stage: eBay

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:18 pm

my n64P concept was almost a foot wide lol around 10 or 11 inches, of course it was an inch and three quarters at the thinckest so... i dont think the Xbox as a handheld is a plausible idea.

mike24

Post by mike24 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:45 pm

i was just saying you could possible make a decent like in the car thing, or all in one unit for the house , but yea who wants that. people want hand held but the person who said "it would way a ton(3 to be exact)" it wouldnt realy way that much and i said it would be a table top unit anyway not like your going to hold it.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:03 pm

Uh, how about a Hip Gear controller (un-modified) connected to a backpack-mounted Xbox mobo? (Still puzzling over power, maybe a generator on an oxygen-tank cart? :lol:)