ps2 linux laptop idea

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

dracolacertae
ps2 linux laptop idea

Post by dracolacertae » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:45 pm

I'm new hear, but I think I have a cool idea. I have a ps2 linux kit, and was wondering, what if someone making a ps2 portable just added a usb keyboard, they could make it into a ps2 laptop! I think its almost as cool as the Atari laptop project that was put up on the main site.

What does everyone else think?

Of course, I'm mostly a software hacker, so I don't have the skills to construct such a device!

vb_master

Re: ps2 linux laptop idea

Post by vb_master » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:47 pm

dracolacertae wrote:I'm new hear, but I think I have a cool idea. I have a ps2 linux kit, and was wondering, what if someone making a ps2 portable just added a usb keyboard, they could make it into a ps2 laptop! I think its almost as cool as the Atari laptop project that was put up on the main site.

What does everyone else think?

Of course, I'm mostly a software hacker, so I don't have the skills to construct such a device!
It will be huge and Linux kits are rare and very expensive.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:49 pm

Yeah but the one thing the Linux Kits have that make them wortht the money is the developement software.

As for making the PS2 a laptop. Theoteticly yes, you'd have to do some redesiging with a slim so that you can access the DVD-Rom easily. Also as a touchpad might not work, go with the old Powerbook 150 trackball idea.

If you think it's possible start planning it out.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:45 pm

don't forget that a pstwo does not have an easily addable hardrive
(about 40 wires to solder...)

I know linux technically doesn't need a hardisc but i would be more useful

Also consider if you buy a larger screen it WILL COST MORE the laptop idea sounds very cool and very doable but WILL BE EXPENSIVE

GOOD LUCK THOUGH!!!!!
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:17 pm

The Linux version for the PS2 isn't self bootable, you do have to install it. As for the hard drive, compactflash/micro-drive 8GB for only $159. Combine that with a CF > IDE adapter you can keep the size small. As for a screen, go with something like what Ben did for his Atari 800 Laptop, use an 8" LCD tv.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:33 pm

You'll also need to learn some vector drawing and CNC'in to have it all fit in a ergonomical and economical box. :)