Help: Gamecube Controller in an N64 Controller?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Killericon
360 GamerTag:Killericon
Steam ID:Killer_icon
Help: Gamecube Controller in an N64 Controller?

Post by Killericon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:52 pm

So, I'm quite greenhorn at the DIY stuff, but I wanted to tackle a decent project, and my first thought was to make an N64 controller that'd work with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I got an N64 to GC adaptor, but I feel that the C-stick is sorely lacking.

I thought I'd ask you guys your opinions. I wanted to put a gamecube controller into an N64 controller, but do you think that'd be too much for a rookie like me to tackle? If so, would it just be easier to somehow plant a c-stick into an N64 controller?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. Really looking forward to this!

Cheers,
Connor

Killericon

Re: Help: Gamecube Controller in an N64 Controller?

Post by Killericon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Alternatively, if you guys think this is way out of my league, but you could tackle it yourself, maybe I could commission someone to make it for me?

Killericon

Post by Killericon » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:55 pm

Right now my biggest issue seems to be the placement of the X and Y buttons. Any thoughts?

kylerock96
PSN Username:xXminiman159Xx
360 GamerTag:xXkylerockXx

Post by kylerock96 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:35 pm

uhhh, you could use the 6 buttons for a,b,x, and y, just mold the c stick in, use the d pad, analog stick, and the L/R buttons, and just make the z button the z button on the gamecube. BTW, You could commison me for this, im always looking for a project!
I will take commissions on anything!!!!*

that is, anything but arcade systems...

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:49 pm

Could you make a quick sketch in paint of how you want it to look? That might help us see what you want to do.

Killericon

Post by Killericon » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:58 pm

hidiosoman wrote:Could you make a quick sketch in paint of how you want it to look? That might help us see what you want to do.

markus
PSN Username:ikramtuht

Post by markus » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Maybe if you want, switch the X,Y and A,B buttons so it'd have more of a "GameCube" feel to it.
Just my opinion.
Markus

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:37 pm

I just took apart a GameCube controller and compared it to an N64 controller. You would need to rewire the Dpad and relocate that, which shouldn't be too hard. I would also use pieces of another controller to connect the buttons to, kind of like this:

I really like this idea and my cousin suggested just the opposite; an N64 controller in a GameCube controller casing.

Another problem will be the shoulder buttons. I have thought of a great solution to this: Use the analog shoulder buttons from a Wii Classic Controller. Of course you will need to adjust the size of the holes for it, but it will do...

Edit: If all you want to do is replace the c-stick, you could buy a 4 directional tact switch and just wire that in there... But I still like the idea of the GameCube controller.

The Smooth

Post by The Smooth » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:20 am

hidiosoman wrote:If all you want to do is replace the c-stick, you could buy a 4 directional tact switch and just wire that in there... But I still like the idea of the GameCube controller.
:facepalm:
Let's just say my portable has got loads of win!!! *hint *hint
Transformice is so addictive!

Bush

Post by Bush » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am

I can still do this commission for you if you would like. If you want to do it yourself, by all means DIY.

gamax92

Post by gamax92 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:27 am

What Buttons Get Ported To What.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
nevermind1534 wrote:By, I cringe every time I see a post by you, because of the immense number of useless comments that seem to be there for no reason other than to up your post count.
I DONT CARE ABOUT POST COUNT.
#DCE1E5 #ECECEC

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:37 pm

The Smooth wrote:
hidiosoman wrote:If all you want to do is replace the c-stick, you could buy a 4 directional tact switch and just wire that in there... But I still like the idea of the GameCube controller.
:facepalm:
Killericon wrote:If so, would it just be easier to somehow plant a c-stick into an N64 controller?
I don't see why you facepalmed that... maybe because I wrote "replace the c-stick" instead of "put in a c-stick". But I thought everyone here was intelligent and could figure stuff out.
So, Killericon, what I would do is just buy one of these: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33892" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And solder the stuff to replace the c-buttons with a c-stick :D

Killericon

Post by Killericon » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:38 am

Bush has kindly agreed to do the Commision for me, so he'll be taking it from here. Thanks for all the input!

Bush

Post by Bush » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 pm

YAY