Genesis 7805 cooler

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

sammy
Genesis 7805 cooler

Post by sammy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:10 pm

As I was thinking of how I should make my case there was one big problem. If that damn 7805 cooler would have been a bit less tall (say half as tall) then my case would have to be 2 cm less tall as wel since the cooler is on the back. The cooler had to go... So I tried, multiple times but since it is a cooler I wasn't able to desolder it! I decided to cut it out but it was very risky because some of the audio lines run very close to it. I cut it out but couldn't avoid some of the lines being broken... So now I am trying to fix them.

To replace the original 3inch cooler i replaced with a 1 inch cooler about four times the surface of the original one and I placed it on an extra board along with my outputs. But I have to know if the new cooler will cool enough. I know the 7805 heats up a lot when the genesis is actif for about an hour so it has to be cooled. Should I install a fan or is that too much? Also I cut out the second controller port and placed it on the same board which enables some sort of link cable effect with my friend. I think it is going to be really cool and it's especially cool because the extra board looks a lot like a video card.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:22 pm

I wouldn't worry overmuch about the 7805. They get warm anyway, but they're made to work when they're hot.
It doesn't hurt to cool them as much as you can, but they're cheap.
You might consider building a PWM switching regulator, based off an LM2672. It's what I used for my SNES.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:17 pm

if you get a genesis 3 it has a little surface mount heat sink that takes up hardy any room at all
ImageImage

sammy

Post by sammy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:59 pm

I'm sorry but what exactly does a switching regulator do? I'm not so good with English electronic therms since I speak Dutch.

I've seen a Genesis 3 before but it was quite expensive...

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:08 pm

i got a genesis 3 about 5or 6 years ago for $20 at toys r us, dunno if they still have them. a switching regulator's a voltage regulator that's very efficient and generally make less heat than linear regulators
ImageImage