Batteries

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

SeinorMexicano
Batteries

Post by SeinorMexicano » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:27 am

This is probably a question asked a lot, but what rechargable batteries are best for portablizing the PSOne w/ LCD...price wise and quality wise? Also, where can you get them...places like Radio Shack, or only online? How long will these said batteries last with use of the system and screen together?

diggerdanh

Post by diggerdanh » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:20 pm

Now that you mention it, how about a little primer on batteries?

I'm still in development of my portables and am still using alkaline AA's and 9volts because I have them. Once I get beyond development I will want to look into using camcorder batteries, rc batteries, or other rechargeables. I've read various people mentioning using Ni-CD this or LI-blah-blah-blah that here and there and I have seen a couple of links from time to time, but nothing complete and tied together.

Anyone want to start a primer on batteries? Different types, form factors, pros/cons, personal experiences, how-to's, voltages, wattages, amperage, life expectancy, time to recharge, etc. Pictures / diagrams would be appreciated. Specifics like: make, model, size would also be nice. Links to online stores where to purchase would be good. Maybe we can create another forum just for general battery info?

I know it's a rather ambitious request, but if someone would be willing to start I'm sure that others will contribute as well. Maybe even something as simple as: this is what I use, this is how I used it, this is why I went with this type/model, this is where I purchased it, etc.

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:07 pm

It would be nice. It could even be undertook as a group project easily thanks to the new forums and the chat room.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:00 pm

Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:56 pm

that dun really help unless you are totally unknowlageble about batteries and power. :shock:

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:40 pm

Like I said, just a start. I suppose I could email what I know to abbibi soon... He would probably add it.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:40 pm

that's a better idea :-)

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:27 pm

Here's what was sent to Abbibi:
I wrote:Calculating playtime:
divide Ah on battery (I'll call it B) by the sum of the amps of the screen (S) and the console. (C) If you are given something in mA, divide that number by 1,000 to get amps. You can also multiply the amperage by 1000 to get mA, as long as you have the same thing for all three. The result is your playtime in hours.

In other words, Time = B / (S+C)

For example, if your battery is rated at 2700mAH, that's 2.7 amps. Then your Atari adapter is rated at 500mA, that's .5 amps. Finally, your screen uses 600mA, that would be .6 amps

Your equation would then be time = 2.7 / (.6 + .5) = 2.45 hours, or just under 2 and a half hours.

Keep in mind, however, that this is assuming you have the same voltage for all 3 parts.

Types of batteries:

Alkaline: (usually AAs) Common batteries available almost anywhere. Because they are expensive and die quickly, I do NOT recommend these. If you are not going to use this much, especially not for long periods of time, however, you could use them.

Li-Ion: These usually are what you have when using camcorder batteries (although I have one from the 80's made out of sealed lead, but I'm no gonna go there) and are the best in my opinion. Their cost may seem high at first, but it will pay for itself after a few cycles of AAs. They are rechargable, and take a while to lose their charge. They are also not picky about being overcharged, in my experience. They also have a fairly long life before recharging.

Lithium Polymer: I do not know too much about them, but they are supposed to be lighter, smaller, and last about as long. There are a few downsides to them. For one thing, they can catch on fire if they are not charged with a proper charger. Another problem with them is that they are pretty expensive.

Nickel Cadium (AKA Ni-Cd) these are common with remote control car batteries. They are usually pretty cheap and will last a while. Some of them are pretty flexible with their shape if you want to open the soft plastic that keeps it all together. You do, however, need to drain them before recharging to prevent memory effects.

Nickel Metal Hydrate (AKA Ni-MH) These are the kind you get with newer rechargable AA's. I have used these on a few things before and I love them. I have powered a digital camera with it and we only need to use the charger every once in a while. They can be bought on ebay for about $1.50 each, which isn't too bad. Keep in mind that when you are calculating the amount you need that these are 1.2 volts, not 1.5 like normal, disposable AAs.

To have a (somewhat) integrated charger:
make a power jack (preferably with a plug other than what you would use for AC use, if any, so you don't mix them up and blow up your project) and hook them up to your battery terminals. Make your own wire and solder it to the charger, making sure you don't screw up the + and - ends. I would not recommend using this on Li-polymer batteries, as they are picky about their chargers.

Warning: Be careful when soldering wires to batteries, they can explode when too hot. I haven't used it, but some say that flux helps a lot.
Hope that suits your fancy :)
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:41 pm

weeeeeee! Funfunfunfun! (and better)

diggerdanh

Post by diggerdanh » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:22 am

Thanks, SpongeBuell. That helps a ton!

keilbaca

Post by keilbaca » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:19 am

Hey dude, the best the PSOne screen can do without any kind of modification is 9V max and 3A max. Anything higher 9v, and the LCD screen reverses colors, and anything above 3A makes the light get really really bright, like damage the screen bright.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:15 pm

Well, I suppose that you won't want to get a battery above 9 volts, then. :wink:

As for the amperage, those are drawn, not forced like volts are. You could have a 20 amp battery and the screen won't get too bright.
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

SeinorMexicano

Post by SeinorMexicano » Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:51 pm

Thanks SpongeBuell, that helps me out a lot...especially the formula.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:22 pm

Yup. I forgot to mention that if you are going to add something else (such as a power LED) add that to the part in parentheses in the equation.

Glad you all like it :D
Life of Brian wrote:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel

someone

Post by someone » Wed Jun 02, 2004 5:56 pm

Hint: get an ammeter and put it on one of the battery outputs.