Case material/construction

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
Case material/construction

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:38 am

I've been thinking about this for a bit. What would any of you on the fourm think if (when I got a new PSOne and built it) made the case out of cardboard.
The mater modder on the screensavers, Yoshi, made a computer case out of cardboard. So I thought would that work for sothing like these.

What do you think of this idea?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

diggerdanh

Post by diggerdanh » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:56 am

I'm no portablization master by any mean, but my 2 cents...

I think that cardboard could be fine for a computer case (like Yoshi's computer or like Ben's MGD computer) because it is not really handled all that much. It may be moved from place to place from time to time, but you wouldn't expect much beyond that.

A portable game system, on the other hand (no pun intended), will by definition be handled constantly while in use. I don't think that cardboard can stand up to that kind of wear. It will get soggy from sweaty palms, etc.

But... you could create a nice portable (remote) unit that sits on the floor (or in the lap) that is run off batteries and uses a joystick, or in the case of PS1 - a joypad, plugged into the unit. If you were doing something like this, I think you could use cardboard.

SeinorMexicano

Post by SeinorMexicano » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:42 am

Like diggerdanh said, computers are meant to sit on a desk, portables are meant to be where you want them to be. The cardboard would probably wear easily if placed in a book-bag, and get soggy after a long use.

I wouldn't use it personally, but it would be a unique aspect of a portable.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:58 pm

Another problem is that your hands may clench on the unit out of habit during tough parts of a game.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:45 pm

Wrap the sucker in duct tape; instant water protection!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:31 pm

someone wrote:Wrap the sucker in duct tape; instant water protection!
I was reading the post and I was going to address the issue about putting a lamanite or something like that on the outside, but duct tape... damn thats hard to beat.

The key reason I wanted to ask everyones opinion on it is I'm looking to give a portable the best look possible without burning a hole in my pocket. I know Yoshi mentioned his case was sturdy and hey if he spent $20 on that big case, you get the idea.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:39 pm

My religion is Duct-Tape-ism

geebs61

cardboard strength...

Post by geebs61 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:15 am

thecarboard would be strong enough... i am notsure about the sweaty palms thing though, that would probably be the demise of the unit. in high school i had to build a chair out of cardboard, and hot glue. it held up surprisingly well. but in the process my partner cut his hand with a razor(he screamed like a girl, one of the funniest things i ever saw). but cardboard and hot glue are freakishly strong.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:36 am

Well now that I'm sure that cardboard would be a suitable material, what should I do about water/moister.
What would many of you suggest, paint, plastic or something else?

I am a geek.

ARKARY

Post by ARKARY » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:23 pm

If you're looking for a case for a PSp, Radio Shack sells a plastic project case that's the perfect size for about $8 (I think it's 8" by 13" or something). Its default size is a little too thick for a portable device, but can easilly be trimmed down to the size you need. It's what I originally planned on using for mine, but I made a mistake in cutting it down and ended up trashing it, but if you're careful it's what I would recommend.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:03 am

I checked out the project boxes... its just I'd prefure something that I can comfurtably rap my hands around. That and I wowuld do it with wood as I'm a woodworker but I dont have the money or (sad to say) the tools for what I'd do to make the case.

I know I can build the thing the only problem I have now is how to coat it. All that comes to mind it celiphan or planstic rap over an adhesive.

I am a geek.

cennar

Post by cennar » Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:50 am

and no one forget the quick and ezy soultion of 2.00 dollar tuperware

someone

Post by someone » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:10 am

but horrible looking :D