Treamcast

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
Treamcast

Post by Sparkfist » Tue May 25, 2004 1:29 pm

I'm sure atleast half the fourm's members have heard of it. I'm courious, does anyone know how it was built and/or what it would cost to mod a dreamcast so it has the screen and battery built on. Reason I want to mod a Dreamcast is a Treamcast has two problems I cant get past, 1; No A/V output and 2; ~$200 price tag.
Anyone think its possible?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

someone

Post by someone » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:52 pm

It's probably easy to hack the av on a treamcast and get av out...

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:51 pm

Some Hong-Kong guys gutted a DC and made custom casing, and fit the DC guts in there. I have no idea how much it might cost, perhaps just the cost of a PSONE screen, hotglue, and a few hours of soldering.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:39 pm

Well whats making me hessitant about looking for a Treamcast is the price it was listed as - $195
My other opition was EBGames.com has DC for $50 plus 15 games.

So I'm stuck thing if I buy the illegal copy and mod it or buy the origanal and mod it.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

cennar

Post by cennar » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:44 am

so you need the tream cast why to toos in a back pack or play in a car...
get an lcd screen from a ps2 7" and a digital porjecter.and intergrate in to one custom case... wow that hould be seriously copulate if i had a thousand to spend on a projecter i would totaly do that in hart beat...
just think pulling up to an empty parkin lot and just playing you emulaters or sonic adv2 on the side of a shoping mall. all with out leaving your car (Dream cast parked on your dash board or out the sun roof!)

FL|ck i'm going to try and get that made if and when i can get some money

I'll call it the Screen Cast!

Link89

Post by Link89 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:03 pm

Have fun with the screen cast a lot of websits tell you how o build a projection tv which would probably work for the screen cast. As for the Treamcast I'd say go for an original dreamcast and buy a screen of ebay that way you could customize more to how you want. Also I found a site that sells Gamecube screens for around $70. But then you get to deal with that fun little power supply :twisted:. You should try to put in a mod chip though so you could run emulators and other stuff on it. Maybe you could get a wire less modem thingy so you could play some games online since it only uses 56k. Good luck though.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Jun 25, 2004 4:45 pm

As for the Wi-Fi the closest thing I thought to that was rigging up a linsys rouder as I cant find any of the broadband adapters for the DC.

Thanks for the incuragment I'll probibly move that up my list to 3 as far as thing to do.

I am a geek.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:14 pm

If you have a cell -hone that might work if you canb find a way to hook them up. What portables are on your list? Does anyone know where to put something for Sega Saturn because i noticed there wasn't one.

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:20 pm

With the dc modem I'm sure you could build a transceiver circuit to make it into a wireless modem.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:06 pm

Ya but remember I'd be working with 1998 tech here. The 56k (standard) modem is Winmodem, that makes my plans at testing linux embedding futile. We all know broadband is nutral, and well if I have to make a power board why not mod a router or some eithernet card.
Well I'm here I might as well ask what would be a good cheap (if possible) material to make the new case out of? Cardboard just wont cut it with how I handle stuff that goes in my car, I thought wood but I'd like something I dont have to worry about the joints being fraggle.

Link89 anything about the Saturn would go under playstation as its a 32-bit system as well.

I am a geek.

Link89

Post by Link89 » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:34 pm

Ever think of pcb board or maybe even plexiglass. The problem with using a board material is it can be hard to get smooth corners. You could always do amonster case using the orignal dreamcast case which could turn out to be pretty cool. As for a modem I don't know much about the Dreamcast insides but couldn't you use a laptop wireless internet connection. I remeber seeing them all over the place a while ago. You'd probably have to modify it a little. Good luck with it all. But if you have a cell phoone try getting it to work as the modem for you're dreamcast.

cennar

Post by cennar » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:29 am

here is a guy who maade some thing that will defantly help with the modem thing and yeah i'm making one of thease two...

http://gamedev.allusion.net/hdwrprj/navi/

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:40 pm

I read the page so thankks cennar, I may be able to use that info when I'm ready to do the dreamcast mods.

As for the case I'd like to try to stick with plasic or simallar materials but if push comes to shuve I'll make it out of populer and ply wood.

Thanks for the encuragment.

I am a geek.

cennar

Post by cennar » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:55 am

Link89 wrote: You should try to put in a mod chip though so you could run emulators and other stuff on it.
um let me know if this sound crazy but every single dreamcast ive used doesnt need a mod chip for any thing, because there disks whernt readable on pcs untill people started getting GIGaDrives and then puting them on normal cds the dreamcast could still read... then they made the versioon two, witch could not boot hacked games and ive never ran in to one. so if yours is all messed about that trade it in and find a version one, the most comon

JackFrost22
Sir Posts-alot

Post by JackFrost22 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:50 am

dREAMCAST ONLINE WAS SHUT DOWN. All you can do is cheack email now.