Completed PsOneP - by the book

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Mr. Cool

Post by Mr. Cool » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:39 pm

Im surprised soemone did it on basically their first try. Maybe its another member in hiding. The pictures should be put in the sticky about completed PSONEPs
Need unique content writer for your website? Check out http://www.uniquecontentcreation.com/

MilkMonster

Post by MilkMonster » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:01 pm

one word, verynicegreatjob. :D

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:26 pm

S2Kyle

Post by S2Kyle » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:05 pm

Thanks much everyone for the positive comments! I actually did this without frying anything (screen or psone) which was nice, but again i did use the book and tried to be as careful as possible. I used a 25w iron with a pencil tip to solder everything and a radioshack de-soldering iron to remove what needed to go. I honestly think making the case was the most difficult part. It's not perfect, you can see some glue on the sides where the walls meet the face/rear plates, but as it was mentioned for a first attempt im more than happy with the outcome.

Demon: I used male molex connectors and bent them to go where the battery terminals are (a la the book)

Oh, and as far as being another member in hiding, i have no idea how i could prove otherwise but im new here. I am in my last 3 months of my 12 month electronics class, and finished a 2 year program in electrical trades (electrician) the year after i was done with high school, so im familiar with electric and such but somewhat a rookie in the electronics field. Either way, just having someone think that i could be a veteran portablizer in disguise is a compliment :)

damphool

Post by damphool » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:18 pm

Nice job. I am following the book for a PSOne as well. Did you have any trouble getting the "teeth" glued to the nylon spacer to make the screen release button? I have put mine aside because of frustration with that part of the project.

S2Kyle

Post by S2Kyle » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:32 am

damphool wrote:Did you have any trouble getting the "teeth" glued to the nylon spacer to make the screen release button? I have put mine aside because of frustration with that part of the project.
Yeah this part was a bit of a hassle. I set everything up and got an idea of where the teeth needed to be then took apart the latch assembly and glued the teeth on while the spacer was out of the case. This got me pretty close, but i had to make some adjustments to the hole they click into. I didnt like the way it closed (didnt really click and hold), so i made a piece the shape of just the tooth (not the shaft glued to the spacer) and glued that to the inside of a tooth to get it to stick out a bit more. It worked out great for me, I can post a pic of what im talkin about later if you like.

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:13 pm

Really good job! Thats awesome especialy for your first try.

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:53 pm

Mr. Cool wrote:its nice when noobs dont coemto the forum saying my psone wont wor whats wrong! Can I use a gamegear screen? good job you are one of the elite few to finish. how many psones did it take you?
Exactly it gives me hope. Its nice to see a guy who comes here and says "hey i've done my reasearch, I bought the book, becuase I am a beginner, and here is the wonderful fruits of my labour". Even if he hadn't finished yet, but instead posted some educated questions thats almost as good(its never as good as seeing someone's new portable:D).
SNESp - 100%
Protable X - 15% - I need money :(

Black-Ops

Post by Black-Ops » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:17 am

Hey man that is nice. I'm planning on doing the same thing soon. :)

Gordon1

Post by Gordon1 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:08 pm

Do you realize this post is getting close to three years old now?

SuperDuperMan

Post by SuperDuperMan » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Cool.

footinmouth

Post by footinmouth » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:37 pm

I've almost completed mine, by myself. I only need the battery connecter, the sony battery charger and a way to attach the controller

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:14 pm

Yea it is cool, I all most did one of these but Then there was the 5 projects I was doing half-baked, and that thing called money
and I cant do the latches :x

Rekarp
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:Lnghrn_
Steam ID:rekarp

Post by Rekarp » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:58 pm

epic zombie thread?
The wood master

"I was under the impression Mac owners don't actually USE their machines, they just parade them around trying to evangelize the masses."