Super NES Only Plays in Monochrome...Help!!!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

moviefan2k4
Super NES Only Plays in Monochrome...Help!!!

Post by moviefan2k4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:47 am

I bought a refurbished SNES two years ago, and last night all the color vanished from the gameplay. I tried two different sets of multi-out AV cables, on two different "picture tube" TV sets...no luck. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks for your time.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Super NES Only Plays in Monochrome...Help!!!

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:04 pm

Are you just using the composite video out?

If so, it could be that you're only getting luma or chroma instead of both like you need for composite.

Same thing would happen if you're using S-video too in that you're only getting one signal.

Either way, you're going to have to open that bad boy up to fix it...as it's probably a bad resistor/cap between the chip and the video connector.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:34 am

I'm using the standard RWY multi-out, that has composite cables on the other end. I don't know anything about fixing this system, nor do I have the necessary tools for doing so. I was hoping Ben or another user would fix it if I paid for shipping both ways.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:20 pm

Well, Ben is bout as busy as it gets these days....leaving only the rest of us. I could take a look at it for ya if you want. I do have the tooling needed to take it apart without breaking it lol.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 am

I have the gamebits and standard screwdrivers, but I know nothing about complex circuitry. When I look at those boards, all I see is green, silver, and black. The abbreviations and such are gibberish to me. I have Ben's book, but that's all about the extensive stuff. I just want the color back on my system, so it will play properly.

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 pm

I sent a PM to Metallica Man X, but he never responded. If anyone else is interested in repairing this system for me, please let me know. Thanks again! :)

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:14 am

But, um, I did respond :wtf:

You sent an E-mail to me, maybe that's why you didn't get the reply.

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:41 am

I did both PM and email, asking for your address in the latter if you were willing and able to fix my system. You never wrote back.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:17 pm

I got the e-mail, but I never got the regular PM..my PM box isn't full or anything..I wonder what's up...

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:31 pm

Well, the offer's still open, if you're serious about knowing how to fix my system. Just email me an address to ship it to, and I'll include payment for return shipping as well.

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:37 pm

OK, so a freaky thing just happened, which I have no natural explanation for...

...the color is back on my SNES gameplay.

Like I said earlier, I have no knowledge of circuitry, so all I did was open the case and take some of the screws out to look at the motherboard. I didn't unplug anything except a silver box at the top right, and re-plugged it straight after. At one point I dropped it by accident, onto the dining room floor from about 4 feet up. There was a small hairball in the case, which I removed...but that's it.

I gave myself a headache with that pesky Eject spring, but short of a miracle, I honestly don't know how it was fixed. All I know to say is "glory to God", and leave it at that. :)

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:32 am

haha, crazy randomness. Sometimes all you gotta do is just beat on it haha.

You'd be surprised how many times I've wound up fixing things simply by laying the smackdown on it XD

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:18 pm