MegaCD II problem - CD spindle doesn't stop

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

beebogates
MegaCD II problem - CD spindle doesn't stop

Post by beebogates » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi all,
I have this weird issue with my megaCD II. basically as soon as I power it on, the CD spindle starts and goes into very high spinning speed. and doesn't stop.. this happens both when a CD is in the tray and when the tray is empty. Also happens with an open tray cover... just starts spinning and never stops. And the "access" light doesn't blink.
Any idea what that could be? or how I could go about testing it?

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: MegaCD II problem - CD spindle doesn't stop

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:46 am

Hm. Sounds like the laser isn't communicating with the rest of the machine properly. How does the laser itself look, and have you opened it up to see if anything is cooked yet?
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

beebogates

Re: MegaCD II problem - CD spindle doesn't stop

Post by beebogates » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:20 am

Hey, thanks for replying! I had almost given up on it then decided to re-visit my old posts and see if there's any hope. Just saw your post now. Yes I opened it and gave it a very thorough inspection. nothing looks cooked, the laser looks fine as in the spindle and laser motors both work fine. Apart from that I really don't know where to look or for what.