Interfacing Multiple Consoles w/ a single video/audio output

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

rcullan
Interfacing Multiple Consoles w/ a single video/audio output

Post by rcullan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 am

I am currently going down a project to make a multi system gaming platorm out of an old (and big) Dell PC Tower. As a baseline I will be adding a NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genasis, and Atari 7800. Possibly a sega Master System as well, but likely not at this point

My question entails the video and audio systems of all the game systems will be wired to a single video output "hub" if you will at the back of the PC tower (where the usual hookups are). There will be a selector switch to pick which system will be playing and it will only be one at a time. Power wise, all the systems (and the ground of the audio/video hub) will be wired and powered off a converted ATX PC power supply. Now when which ever system is being played and out putting video to the "hub"... Will I have to be concerned about the degradation as a result of bleed back into the other currently not selected systems. They are all wired to the same power source so I think the potential is there

I could add individual diodes on the video and audio lines to prevent this but again, I dont know what type (if any) would work and not affect the signals

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I build rocket parts for a living... really

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Interfacing Multiple Consoles w/ a single video/audio output

Post by Metallica Man X » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:23 pm

There shouldn't be any real problem with the video being connected into a single output unless multiple systems are turned on at once.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:14 pm

I think he's worried about video signals from console A flowing into console B and damaging it.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:28 am

Well, even if that's the case, there still shouldn't be any issues.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 pm

I've noticed that when using a multi-unit cable with my N64 and xbox, that if it's plugged into my xbox, the N64 video simply won't work.

If you can throw $20 at it, you can get an auto-detecting switch box from walmart that can take care of the problem for you. Just toss it in the case, and problem solved.
http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... raint=3944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you can wait a week longer, but still throw money at it, amazon can do much better.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... deo+switch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Further, if you really want to get your hands dirty, and hack something together yourself, Ben has already made just the tutorial for you. How awesome.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/13/how- ... -switcher/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.instructables.com/community/ ... ate-chips/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;