SNES Controller -- Capacitor

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Punchinello
SNES Controller -- Capacitor

Post by Punchinello » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:12 pm

Sorry to make so many SNES controller topics, but I think it might be best to start a new one to focus the answers.

Does anyone know the rating on the capacitor on this SNES controller (specificlaly C1)?

The controller I am tearing apart only has C1, and no resistors!

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Re: SNES Controller -- Capacitor

Post by qwertymodo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Well, I measure 1.6nF across it, but that doesn't sound right... I would think it should be higher. Assuming it's a smoothing cap, I would think it would be closer to 100nF. I guess it isn't accurate to measure it on the board. In any case, I have NSTC-U, NTSC-J, and PAL controllers and none of them have C2. Only PAL controllers have R1 or R2 (hence the silkscreen that says "ONLY P"). Those black strips are resistors, though I don't have measurements on them. Any reason in particular you're needing these measurements?

Punchinello

Post by Punchinello » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I am trying to rebuild the controller on a breadboard so I can hook it up to arcade buttons.

The fact that those are resistors makes a huge difference. What do they measure?

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:02 am

I had a feeling it was something like that. Rather than rebuilding that design, just use this one: http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It definitely works, and the resistors can be anything >=10K, though I think the official design that matches that schematic uses 47K. You don't actually need the capacitor. Also, the 4 pins that aren't connected to buttons can be tied together and then to Vcc through a single resistor if you want. You could even tie them directly to Vcc. You can buy CD4021 IC's new for super cheap. Jameco has them for $0.39 each. So you're wanting to connect arcade buttons to an SNES? I'm interested to hear more about your project.