PS1 Portable Screen Help!

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Germs
PS1 Portable Screen Help!

Post by Germs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:47 pm

So today I purchased a Playstation Mini that was paired with a portable screen and am having trouble getting the screen to work.
So the 7.5v adapter that came with the console didnt power the console or the screen on so I used my PS2 power supply which did indeed power up the console but not the screen.

I took the screen apart and I see absolutely no signs of any obvious issues. I saw that a common issue is the fuses and so I tried bridging them. When I bridge PS1 on the motherboard the power light on the PS1 flashes green so that doesnt work. I can bridge PS2 and nothing seems to happen though the PS1 will still power up properly. I don't think these the issues. Does anyone have an recommendations to try and get this thing up and running? Again it's currently being powered by the 8.5v DC adapter for the Playstation 2 since the power adapter (7.5v) for the PS1 did not seem to be working. Can someone maybe give me some advice?

Thanks!

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: PS1 Portable Screen Help!

Post by Metallica Man X » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:13 pm

It's possible the cathode backlight is burned out. I've purchased several 'broken' screens that had that problem and fixed them right up by doing the staple LED mod.

Try powering up the system and taking a close look at the screen while it's running. With the light at the right angle, you should be able to vaguely make out what's going on. If there is activity, then it is a burned out backlight.
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Germs

Post by Germs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it!
If the screen was even powering on though shouldnt I get sound coming from the speakers? That's what's concerning me.
I looked at the screen from a wide variety of angles and was unable to see any sort of activity going on on the screen.

Thanks again for helping me out!

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 pm

Hm. No sound either eh?

Start checking traces and making sure the connectors aren't corroded or anything. If you have a multimeter, start poking!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

Germs

Post by Germs » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 pm

So there is no sign of any corrosion or anything related on the board other than the solder marks that I left. This is just so strange. The board itself looks like it's in great shape. Could this be an issues caused by the playstation itself? The playstation looks as though it's been opened before so I don't know if that could be the source somehow. At the same time i've tried using the screen with my PS2 via inputs to the screen directly and no such luck there either.

I need to buy a multi meter and start trying to discover something that way I guess.

Metallica Man X

Post by Metallica Man X » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 am

Well shoot, I dunno then. A multimeter would certainly be of some good use now, if only just to check if the 7805s are actually getting power, or putting out power...

Germs

Post by Germs » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 pm

No worries. I'll get my hands on a multi meter and start poking around with it. I'll post an update when I do so.

Thanks again