Making a PS one Portable. (Help please.)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

rokumanxes
Making a PS one Portable. (Help please.)

Post by rokumanxes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:49 am

I've began work on a portable PS one. I've never hacked a console before, or portablized one, so this is all quite new to me.
Apologies in advance, as I'm sure you're gonna be clicking Picard a lot in your responses.

So far, I've... well, honestly, I've gotten just about nothing finished aside from case modification.
(I'm using the tiny PS one's original case, and part of the official screen's case as well, and then using whatever glues/plastics
I'm going to need to use, and then I'll be sanding 'til I'm happy with it.)

Right now I need to figure out how to cut the controller board and wire it so it still works,
as... a non-working one would be no fun. It looks like there's a way to just rewire it without cutting it all?
I'm not terribly sure how to begin going about it, so if there are any diagrams one might be able to direct me to, that'd sure be helpful.

Also, I dunno what to use as a power supply.
Batteries, obviously, but is there any way I could use a laptop battery?
I've sorta got a little collection goin' on due to dead laptops...
I figured it'd be nice to put them to use if I can.

Anyway, those are my questions for now.
Sorry to bother y'all, but, I know you all know your crap.
I've been following this "scene" just about since it began,
(I think I saw Ben in an EGM? Or, it's been a while, I'm not sure what magazine, exactly.)
and... well, I dunno where I was taking that...

But I've been so interested in doing this for such a long time, and I know you guys can help.

Thank you.

genious 7

Re: Making a PS one Portable. (Help please.)

Post by genious 7 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:58 pm

Can't say much as I haven't modded a PS, but I can tell you about the batteries. The laptop batteries are probably lithium ion, and you can use them. However, you will probably need to buy a protection circuit, unless the old one can be reused.

**Never run a lithium ion battery without the protection circuit**

When you open the laptop's battery, you will find several individual lithium cells, you just take the ones you will use and well... use them. Just make sure to use the protection circuit, not short them, and not do something you are not sure about. If you short or use them without a protection circuit, there is a high risk of damaging the batteries or them catching fire.

rokumanxes

Post by rokumanxes » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, which, would be all too likely, but would I be able to use the battery unmodified if I attached the port from the laptop to the motherboard? I'm looking to sort of incorporate the battery into the case as well, so it'll be nice and flush. I COULD do all of what you described, but frankly, I'm new to this, and still not too good at it, so I'm aiming for a very simply designed handheld.

I'm also looking to give it the LOB64 capabilities of a/v out and a second controller.

On top of that, I'm looking to make it possible to switch between controller ports on the fly with the internal controller.
Sure, I can only think of it being useful in Metal Gear Solid, but honestly, dammit, I think it'll be worth the trouble.

...For Metal Gear Solid.

Thanks again.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Probably not, the batteries are probably set to put out a voltage that's not ideal for the PS1. Plus, it's probably too big of a pain to get a connection from the unmodded batteries.
However, using the cells, you can rig them up to do any voltage divisible. My recommendation? Use 2 or 4 cells for 7.4V, and pipe in GND and 7.4V straight from the protection circuit into the 7.6V line, and use a step-down switching regulator to get 3.6V for the other line.
More about the PS1 PSU:
[link]
[link]
To switch controllers on the fly, I'd say to hook up the voltage to the common (middle) terminal of a DPST switch, and hook up one end to the internal controller, and the other to the port.

What you need to do is just open the laptop battery. You'll see some PCB's and boxes. The boxes are the cells, and each outputs 3.7V.
Make sure that the cells you're using are all from the same battery.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.