Making a Game Gear TV Console

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

vargose
Making a Game Gear TV Console

Post by vargose » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:41 am

I am wanting to set out on doing the reverse of what is normally talked about hear. I would like to take a portable system, in this case the game gear, and turn it into a tv console. Instead of using the game gear, I was hoping to use one of these.
http://www.atgames.net/front/bin/ptdeta ... ory=100408
This will be my first console hack. So there are a few things that I am concerned about. The first of which is mapping the cartridge slot correctly. I can get the game gear cartridge pin outs online pretty easy, its figuring out where they would go on this board that is the trick. Is anyone familiar with this board? Does anyone have any pointers on how to figure out pinouts, so I can attach a cartridge slot to this? I know people have done similar things with the genesis on a chip systems.

The second thing I am concerned about is controller ports. I'd like to use a genesis controller if possible. I'd be willing to use the master system controller if need be. But I don't know if I'll need to do something to encode the buttons, or if this board has all I need. Again wouldn't know the mappings for that either.

So I guess what I need is that if anyone is familiar with this board to chime in, if not if anyone is familiar with system on a chip hacks like this, specifically adding a cartridge slot or controller to chime in. Or any pointers in the right direction.

electromaster64

Re: Making a Game Gear TV Console

Post by electromaster64 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:31 am

To have the gamegear play to a TV you would need to use something like Lovablechevy's RGB mod click here to get the video. Then you could make a controller port by soldering to the Game Gear board then to a serial port or something. You would not need the product you linked to. Just the RGB mod and some soldering skills.
ImageImage

Harlequin

Re: Making a Game Gear TV Console

Post by Harlequin » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am

would be an interesting Mod job.. maybe put in a switch and have both MS and GG cart slots available, see how small of a MS you could make using the game gear....