Planning for my first portable (N64)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo
Planning for my first portable (N64)

Post by qwertymodo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:31 pm

I'm currently putting together parts and plans to build an N64 portable this summer when I have more free time and a better workbench. I think I'll start throwing my plans down here and then once I start building, I can post updates once I have something to update. For now, I'm going to see what people think and maybe get some clarification on things I'm unsure of. Here are my planned specs:

8Mbit RDRAM on-board
-Directly soldered onto the mainboard, no Expansion Pak relocation
Controller
-3rd party controller w/upgraded joystick
-Will have all buttons (I'm not going to leave off L)
*Possibly double-Z triggers (one for each hand)
-Internal Nyko HyperPak Plus
*Switch for rumble/memory(/off?)
*Switch for memory bank
*Switch for rumble level(?)
-4 external controller ports
*4-way switch to select player for internal controller
*Snap-style N.C. activation switches in controller ports to disable internal
controller when an external controller is connected to the same port
PSOne screen
-Direct RGB connection
-LED backlight mod
Speakers
-Internal Speakers
-Headphone jack
Internal 64Drive
-External access to CF card *instead of* external cartridge slot
-External USB-B port for reprogramming the 64Drive or loading/testing homebrew
External Connections
-LOB64 (with the controller select switch, I'll be able to select my controller for multiplayer)
-Video out(?)
Batteries - ??
Frankencase
-Using the original N64 case
-Going to cut up a controller and mount it to the back of the case for winged grip feel

Some things I'm unsure of:
I'm not sure about the possibility for video out. If I do add it, I'll probably add a switch to turn off the screen. Also, I remember hearing something about not having the 64Drive in the N64 when upgrading the bootloader. I'm not sure if that's always or just not when the console's on. If it's always, I may scrap the external USB-B port so I don't brick my 64Drive. The other thing I'm on the fence about is I don't know how much power the rumble pak draws, so I may have an option to turn it off entirely.

Does anybody have any experience with the Nyko HyperPak? I've heard that it can have issues corrupting saves, but I'm willing to risk it for the 4x capacity if it's not an overwhelmingly consistent problem.

qwertymodo
360 GamerTag:qwertymodo
Steam ID:qwertymodo

Re: Planning for my first portable (N64)

Post by qwertymodo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:31 pm

Reserving for updates, and I'll post what I've done so far:

I have a rev-03 mainboard, so I have access to RGB video, and I have 2x2Mb RAM chips on-board. I have removed them and plan to replace them with 2x4Mb chips directly on-board so I don't need an expansion pak at all (I know I need the terminating resistors and the clock jumper, I'll have to figure out those connections but not really a big deal.

I've also removed the cart connector and expansion port, so my first goal is the RAM upgrade, then I'll tackle the cart slot relocation, and hopefully it will still boot at that point. If it does, I'll go from there.

I have a pretty good idea how I want the case to work. I'll be frankencasing the original N64 case, held upside down, so the screen is on the bottom, with the controller ports "up". I may relocate the controller ports, but I'm just saying that for reference. I can cut off the back of the case where there's the recess for the power brick in order to make the case less unwieldy. I will also be filling most of the vents on the bottom of the case with bondo or some other filler in order to make the front of the case flush. I may have to cut new vents later, but that's down the line.