Reading N64 Memory

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

toazron1
Reading N64 Memory

Post by toazron1 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:34 am

I'm looking for a way to read an n64 memory in realtime while playing a game, preferably via a USB connection.
I've looked at the Everdrive64/64drive, but it doesn't look like it is possible to use one of those.
I'm not opposed to modding my n64 or gameshark (pro 3.2) to accomplish this, I just don't know where to start.

Is this even possible?

Thanks!

Reubensupernerd

Re: Reading N64 Memory

Post by Reubensupernerd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:33 am

I'm not certain as to how this could be done. Try asking the people on nekochan or another SGI computer forum, they might know how to actively read RIMMs better than we do. As for the actual mod, you could probably get away with just tapping all the legs on the ram chips with some ribbon cable.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:45 am

It is possible. Just extremely complex because you're working now with Rambus Dynamic Random Access Memory.
Why you would want to tap into the RAM I dont know, but there would not be anything interesting.

Best person to ask, would be Marshallh (on these forums).
He is a legend and a very busy guy, so be patient with his response time ;)

toazron1

Post by toazron1 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:06 am

Basically I wrote a program which hooks into an emulator and tracks stats for SSB64 and I want to do the same thing with a real n64. It is possible to read a game's memory using a gameshark and a parallel port... but its slow, buggy and not practicable.

I was thinking it would be possible to tap into the gameshark. It must have access to the memory to apply the active cheat codes and edit the memory during the game.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out those forums in the meantime.