How To Remove Nintendo Screws- a Tutorial

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:32 pm

I tried this thing on a busted SNES mini I found in the Junkyard near my house. I put a little play doh (YES PLAY DOH) in the hole, And made a little bit come out of the hole...lIke A fUSe. I lit it, and took cover. A little pop, but the case got WEAKEND, as it was loose. I added a bit more. It came open, NO DAMAGE. However, I doubt doing it again. Seems VERY risky.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:16 pm

demonofaj wrote:USBDCS, did you solder off the end or what?
First of all, use either usbcd36 or usb, I don't know why everyone keeps calling me usbcds :? .

Second, I used a file to make a groove in the screwdriver. I actually used two, a triangular one to start the groove and a rectangular one to widen it and make it fit the screw. I don't suggest it unless you have a fairly thin file, it was a pain to do with the files I had.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:37 am

Play Doh is flammible?

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:06 pm

Yes, from Real Life, and Futurama.

demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Just a q, could this work, solder/melt the surrounding plastic, then dig around the screw with the iron, melting the inside screw thing. Then just pull the screw out :?:

atkafighter

Post by atkafighter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:53 pm

demonofaj wrote:Just a q, could this work, solder/melt the surrounding plastic, then dig around the screw with the iron, melting the inside screw thing. Then just pull the screw out :?:
Sort of. I know what you mean, but the screw is still screwed into the post. What you can do is melt everything away around the screw post, and the halves come apart.

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:00 pm

It would be better to heat only the screw and pull it out with pliers, leaving all the plastic intact. I kind of "invented" this method and it works really well. You may have put a bit of flux on the screw so it conducts heat easier.

Lych

Post by Lych » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:05 pm

Lol all a bunch of noob methods... All i use was a nice hack saw. Two or 3 second later, BAM open, no proublems at all!
Remember the greats, one of them will leave after the other. Happens every where.....

loup

Post by loup » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:00 am

I just opened up my gameboy a few days ago, I didn't want to wait to get a triwing driver so I just drilled out the head of the screw, pulled the case off (this took a little bit of force, but not enough to damage the case) and then used a pair of gas pliars to take the screws out. Later I was able to use some screws that were the same size as the old ones with a standard phillips head

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:03 pm

an angle grinder is a good method, its how i opened up my snes, however be sure to do it in a well ventilated place is the heat quite often melts the plastic
mmmmm fumes..... :lol:

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:51 pm

I didn't see it anywhere in here, and thought that it was by far the EASIEST way to remove nintendo screws:

-Get a drill and drill the head off, then lift it open as if you took the screws out.

This is the easiest method for taking it apart if you don't plan to re-use the screws. It takes 5+ seconds, depending on how sharp your bit is.
Hey, sup?

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:18 pm

Yes, but you need metal drilling bits then…

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:21 pm

I just use the plain old ones. It works fine, the screws are relatively soft.
Hey, sup?

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:24 pm

i use a pen. it works like a charm every time and is incredibly easy and causes no damage to anything but the pen. just make sure you melt a very little bit of it, just enough to get the screw head and no more
ImageImage

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:14 pm

also, make sure the pen has a hard plastic.....the little grooves made with a softer pen get shredded off immediately when you try to use them on the screws (at least, in my own experiences they do).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!