How To Remove Nintendo Screws- a Tutorial

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

RollOfToiletPaper

Post by RollOfToiletPaper » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 pm

I used a BIC pen and I repeatedly had to burn the plastic because the thing didn't do squat and kept breaking. I guess I'm going to have to buy that GameBit off Ebay. :x

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:53 pm

No don't light the pen on fire just melt it by the fire so that it doesn't light up! Otherwise it will be weak and break.

RollOfToiletPaper

Post by RollOfToiletPaper » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:43 pm

Metroid fan wrote:No don't light the pen on fire just melt it by the fire so that it doesn't light up! Otherwise it will be weak and break.
Just no. It doesn't work at all, I've tried it. The damn thing still breaks no matter how I do it.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:00 pm

Please don't post in the stickies unless you hav information to add to it. The stickies provide a place where users can se all the common organized information together. Not for you to tell them that you don't like to do it one way.

(I know this sounds like a mod, but I'm sure they'd agree with me)
Hey, sup?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:47 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Please don't post in the stickies unless you hav information to add to it. The stickies provide a place where users can se all the common organized information together. Not for you to tell them that you don't like to do it one way.

(I know this sounds like a mod, but I'm sure they'd agree with me)
Sorry Kurt_ but I just don't. This stick is like a thread for information and to be publicly updated from people. That's why this thread is not locked.

To anyone else feel free to add any method of removing these screws you find, we have a couple so just see if it's added alread. Thank you.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

theking103

easiest method

Post by theking103 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:48 pm

friend (usbcd) showed me post and we came up with a new idea, first remove a screw with bute force (from a crappy game of something) then go to a hardware store and find a torx screw ( they are inverted torx screws duh) that the gamebit srew fits into, wallah your new gamebit bit, you can get them in many sizes, just round of the ends so it is narrow enough to fit in the hole and there you go, you can also mount it into an old rod or something, dust drill a small hole in the rod, srew the torx screw into the rod, weld/solder it there, and you have a gamebit screwdriver

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:09 pm

games dont use the same size screw as systems but if you just ripped one off of a system it soiunds like a great idea
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:38 pm

Anyone know what size screws are used in the DS? I need to get some Philips replacements.

theking103

Post by theking103 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:33 pm

did some resaerch, they are actually called e-torx and it stands for external torx, you can find e-torx drivers at a hardware store, because they probably wont know what you are talking about if you say gamebit

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:53 pm

Hey, I found a how-to for most of these methods here: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/diy-gamebit.htm

CTFan

TRex3166

The Cure (for inverted hex only)

Post by TRex3166 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:55 am

This trick works perfectly every time! You'll need a 1/4" drive, 4mm
deep 6pt. socket (mine's a Craftsman), and a 3/16" flat screwdriver. Simply insert screwdriver into end of socket where wrench would normally go, and remove screws! On my N64, I did have to remove a little material from 1 screwhole (the inboard 1, by the A/V plug). Good Luck! [/img]

johnbjuice

gba screws

Post by johnbjuice » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:52 pm

anyone know how to remove the TINY tri-prong gba/gba sp screws? ive tried everything - dremel, melted pen, hammer...

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:01 pm

id say try a small, flat jewelry screwdriver. a bit off-center but it can work if the screw isnt too tight.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: gba screws

Post by vskid » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:40 pm

johnbjuice wrote:anyone know how to remove the TINY tri-prong gba/gba sp screws? ive tried everything - dremel, melted pen, hammer...
I use a small flat head screwdriver that takes up one of the prongs, and then I push it into the screw firmly as I turn to keep it in its prong.

illustriouschin

Post by illustriouschin » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:42 am

I've tried the "melt a pen" trick and it did not work at all and made a bad plastic mess in the screw hole. For triwings I use a small flathead screwdriver but I would like to just buy real screwdrivers for that crap.