How To Remove Nintendo Screws- a Tutorial

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert
Re: How To Remove Nintendo Screws- a Tutorial

Post by Kurt_ » Wed May 06, 2009 8:20 pm

I still prefer the "soldering iron + light prying" technique. If done carefully enough, you can use my second technique, called "soldering iron + light pushing" to get it back on, and if you had the desire in the future, you can still screw/unscrew it afterwards.

Buy the full, detailed writeup, complete with instructional videos and colour photographs, for only $15 USD.
Hey, sup?

MacGyver1138

Post by MacGyver1138 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:49 am

On the Mini SNES, I just used a 1/2 inch drill bit and bored out the posts right down to the screw head. Once the plastic was completely bored out, the two halves came apart as if the screws weren't even there. I didn't have to drill into the screws at all. It obviously makes it so that you wouldn't be able to reuse the case, but it took maybe a minute to do all four screws.

glassjoe92
PSN Username:CHNM_RaepTiem
Steam ID:GlassJoe92

Post by glassjoe92 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 pm

bicostp wrote:How to Remove Nintendo Screws

Brute Force
Thios just involves cuttinhg, drilling, pulling, yanking, and playing that the system will open. It's dangerous and somewhat barbaric, but it may be your only option if you can't get the screws loose by any other means. Again, this is not the best solution if you're opening a Game Boy.
:wink: [/b]

This worked for me. I just drilled the heads off the screws with a torque drill.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Kurt_ wrote:Buy the full, detailed writeup, complete with instructional videos and colour photographs, for only $15 USD.
:facepalm:
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:34 pm

Delayed reaction is delayed. Nice bump. :lol:

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks.
I thought I'd post because nobody seemed to respond to that.
Was I seriously the first one to see that?
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 am

OK< I have one of those 3.8mm gamebits, and it works like a charm on those pesky security screws...but now I think I've stripped one of them. Any ideas on how to remove it and not damage the catridge?

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:04 pm

moviefan2k4 wrote:OK< I have one of those 3.8mm gamebits, and it works like a charm on those pesky security screws...but now I think I've stripped one of them. Any ideas on how to remove it and not damage the catridge?
A Drill would would be optional, or a drill with one of those specialized bits for stripped screws.....dunno if they make em for small sized screws though. If not, just make sure to get a small drill bit so as not to tear up the sides and find a a replacment once removed so you can re-use it.

moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:01 pm

I finally got the screw out by using a very small flat-head bit with a heavy-duty drill. Unfortunately, I think I also damaged the screw well in the process, so I'll need to replace the back panel of the cartridge at some point. The other 2 screws are still holding ikt together at the moment, though.

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:05 pm

I always like to sticka crap $3 soldering iron in there and pry out through the side, destroying the case, and ruining the crap iron, but it does the job. Worked great twice now, then I didn't have another on hand, had to drill the screwheads away with a drill press. :wtf:

Pkmnjunky7
Portablizer

Post by Pkmnjunky7 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:21 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmk0BexW_rA
I just made this video. Worked really really well. I was fed up with the stupid pen crap... (no offense to people who got that to work...)

PS: For all of you who are thinking to yourself "OMG HE SPELLED NINTENDO WRONG!!?!?! BBQ!!! I ARE TO CURRECT HIM NAO@!!",
just stop. I spelled it wrong on purpose, I don't want my video to get attention from youtube.. it could get pulled or something for containing info that could potentially help you mod your console. And dont think I'm crazy, I've had stuff pulled before... People can still find the video by typing nintendo because I put it in the tags..

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:21 pm

Classic tools for classic gamers =)

My father still has one of those lovely craftsmen drills like that laying around. It never fails on us!

Artyom

Post by Artyom » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Does anyone have the specs for the 4.5mm gamebit used on the N64? I'd like to purchase some with Philips or Slotted heads so I don't risk stripping the gamebit - bit I purchased.