CDX Controller Port Not Working :( FIXED!!!!!! :)

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

TSX420J
CDX Controller Port Not Working :( FIXED!!!!!! :)

Post by TSX420J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi my friends, its me again. LOL. Sorry for all my questions. I wish I had more answers believe me. Well my newest acquisition is a Sega CDX. WOOHOO!!! I bought it knowing that the first controller port was bad. I though it might be a cold solder joint fix, its not. But, I think I have a solution if I knew what the parts are classified as. Anyway, I tested it out and the console works. The second player port works well. Just the first player port has no response.

What are the black square 222 things called? I also want to change out that suspect blue smd thing as well, what is it? LOL, I cannot tell if it is a ceramic capacitor or a fuse of some sort. I am good at replacing them but not identifying what they are, sorry..

Thanks in advanced.

Shot at 2012-04-04

Shot at 2012-04-04
Last edited by TSX420J on Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TSX420J

Re: CDX Controller Port Not Working :( Not Cold Solder Joints

Post by TSX420J » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:39 am

FIXED!!!!! WOOHOO!!!! Thanks anyways.
I was looking at a schematic for the genny mobo and saw that the FB4 component is for the controllers ground. Then I thought that the reason why none of the input commands were working is because the FB was fried and it wasn't getting ground. I was wrong and right. I was right about the controller not getting ground but i was wrong about the FB4 being fried. Taking a closer look at the FB4, I noticed there was some corrosion just above it. To the bottom of the component there is a copper ring/hole (highlighted in blue). At the top its supposed to be the same but it is corroded (highlighted in red). On the other side of the board that corroded ring/hole connects to ground. I scraped the corrosion off and put a tinned wire through the ring/hole and soldered one side to ground and the other to the lead on the FB4. Problem Solved!!

Still wondering just in case the FB4 goes bad, the FB4 is a SMD Ferrite Bead, right? What does the color mean?

Shot at 2012-04-05
Shot at 2012-04-05
Shot at 2012-04-05