SNES Save Battery Mod - Easy Servicing

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

TSX420J
SNES Save Battery Mod - Easy Servicing

Post by TSX420J » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:16 pm

The other day I bought Super Metroid. I was playing for a couple days and was pretty far in the game. I accidentally bumped the cart while playing and the game froze. I reset the SNES and my saves were gone. I realize that the data may have been corrupted because of me bumping the cart causing it to lose contact while powered on. I also know that the battery is super old and should be changed, preventing losing save data. Upon looking for a replacement battery, an idea popped into my head. Here it is.

Before

After

I had to modify the battery holder by filing it down to make it thinner to be able to fit snug in the case, otherwise I would not have been able to screw the case shut. I am pretty sure I can find some low profile battery holders so I do not have to modify anything but I have not looked. This thing is solid. I put one on a crappy game and case and threw it on the floor a couple of times. I do not recommend doing this, but I did it to make sure that any amount of shock was not going to corrupt my data. The game saves were held. After, I did it to my metroid and now Im going to do all of my games that use a battery that have not been serviced.

I only spent 2 dollars in total per game, I bought enough for 5 games. That is like 2 dollars more than the price of one specialized replacement battery.
Last edited by TSX420J on Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Re: SNES Save Battery Mod - Easy Servicing

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:29 pm

Nice! Very clean and professional :mrgreen: