SNES Bad Cap & Other Component. Need Help Finding Parts.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

TSX420J
SNES Bad Cap & Other Component. Need Help Finding Parts.

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:40 am

So, I bought a couple SNES's for my build. I got one fixed but would like to get the other one going as well. While inspecting the board I saw that one of the caps is sucked in (looks dented/imploded) and another component looks like it got burnt. I was looking on digikey and may have found the cap but I am unsure if the part I found is the same. I am having a hard time finding the burnt one though, I am not sure what it is so I have no idea what category to search in.

This is the link for the caps I found. Scroll down to the middle. They look the same but I don't know how to select the proper cap. I have been searching for hours and have no idea what to look for.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/cap ... a%2010%20g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are some pictures of the parts I need. I googled what is printed on the components and have come up with dead ends only. I have no idea what to do so I have to ask for help. Thanks in advanced!!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Re: SNES Bad Cap & Other Component. Need Help Finding Parts.

Post by marshallh » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:48 pm

1. ceramic resonator with integrated caps

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... -ND/584637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... -ND/653100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

either will work

2. 100uF 10V electrolytic SMD cap

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... -ND/766243" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You may as well replace all occurrences of this capacitor. Others may be going bad too

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks so much!! I was lost, I didn't even know what to look for. You da BEST!! I'll be posting a follow up of the repair. Thanks Again!!

wwwyzzerdd
Steam ID:vanillajackson

Post by wwwyzzerdd » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:47 pm

You could pull a cap with the same values from an old motherboard or something, it would probably work just fine. That way you could determine what you need to buy, or just leave it like that if it works.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:46 am

wwwyzzerdd wrote:You could pull a cap with the same values from an old motherboard or something, it would probably work just fine. That way you could determine what you need to buy, or just leave it like that if it works.
I could've, but I don't have another motherboard that uses the same components. :( I have a extra mobo but it's the 2nd rev and uses different rated components. I just ordered the parts, it wasn't bad at all, like 4 dollars. I'll have the results posted soon!! Thanks!

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 am

My parts shipped, but it will be a couple of days before I receive them. I was doing some research on the best way to remove the smd caps and came up with everything but that. On my adventure into the unknown I saw that 100 lead smd chips are easily removed with a heat gun at the proper temp. I experimented on a dead snes mobo i had tried to repair with no success. I also damaged that same mobo the process, rookie mistakes (I lifted some traces on some multi lead components).

So this time, I tried the heat gun method to remove the components. Works great!! My technique and heat gun needed a little tweaking before I started to remove the components from the good mobo. I needed a nozzle on my heat gun but that would require me to order one and wait for that too. I am too impatient and do not like to wait, so I Macgyver'ed my own with some household materials.

I don't know if this nozzle is safe to use on a heat gun for any period of time but I was impatient and needed these things off now. LOL If you try my method and something goes wrong I will not be held responsible for anything that might happen. So if you do, please do not blame me if anything goes wrong because I do not recommend this technique. The right way is with some soldering tweezers.

Although i do not recommend this, I will tell you that everything went smooth as butter. No broken traces or burnt/melted components.

Here are some pics of my rig. LOL, don't hate.. :roll:

I used some aluminum foil, a pencil, scotch tape, needle nose pliers and a heat gun (750f low - 1500f high)

I folded the aluminum foil in half and wrapped it around the heat gun nozzle and part of the actual heat gun itself.

After I folded it, I molded it to the shape of the heatgun by crushing the aluminum foil with my hand. I left the tip untouched.

I then stuck a pencil in the middle to taper the tip to a smaller diameter by crushing it as well.

I used a second piece of aluminum foil and repeated the process.

When I finished i removed the pencil.

I used a strip of tape one the top and bottom to stop the nozzle from flying off.

I then prepped the board by covering the components and plastic I did not want to heat up. (very important)

I set the mobo on a phonebook. Using the needle nose pliers, I grabbed the faulty component and lifted the mobo about a 1/4 of an inch off the phone book. The opposite side of the mobo is resting on the phone book, so there is not too much tension and I will not break any traces off. While lifting I began to heat the component on "low" with the heatgun. As soon as the solder melted, I let gravity pull the mobo down freeing the component. As soon as the mobo drops I immediately stopped heating the mobo.

After removing all of the components I used my radioshack desoldering iron to clean off any left over solder. I need to buy some desoldering braid to clean it up a bit more, but for now its good. Covering the tip of the desoldering iron with some flux and solder will help.

After I finished everything, I used a paper towel and some 70% alcohol to clean up the left over flux.

Well that's all for now.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:27 am

So I replaced the caps and the resonator. I still get power but no video or audio. The screen flickers and detects a source, but remains black.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:48 pm

I bought a broken identical snes and it powers on but has the same problem, wtf!!! I can't believe this, lol. 2 snes's with same problem. This seems to be a common problem, I guess. Oh well. I'll keep reading and see what I come up with. If anyone has fixed this please let me know how, thanks.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:32 am

Bad cart slot?
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:09 am

ProgMetalMan wrote:Bad cart slot?
I tried using different cart slots I know work with no luck. :( The power adapter is oem and works on my other 2 snes's. My oem multi out av cable also works on all of my consoles. This is so weird. I'm all out of ideas. I also removed the reset buttons just in case it was stuck. I inspected the whole board and don't see anything weird. I also swapped the sound boards.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm throwing in the towel!! I have done everything I could think of. I am just going to resell them for parts as is.

Thanks Again!! I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Ok, I was throwing in the towel; then something happened. I sold a working snes to a friend and he gave me his non working one for a discount. I tested it out to see what was wrong. The console powered on fine and displayed the game (mario world) on screen. After 5 seconds the game froze and the screen went black. Then I tested with wrestlemania. The game loaded fine and did not freeze, but I noticed it looked as if the signal was week and distorted. On the bottom left it had some distortion. The screen started to flicker off for a second then come back where it left off (not reseting). After some time the game eventually froze and went to a black screen. This SNES has the same mobo as the other two I tried fixing in this thread WTF!!!. I tested this with a very clean and known working cart slot as well.

I am thinking that this is what occurs right before the component goes completely bad and gives me the problems the other two do.
For kicks, I replaced the lockout chip with one from a spare board, to see if that was causing the freezing. Same issues. I am going to figure this out, with the help of the forum of course.

So what do you experts think? I never replaced all of the caps on the board, just the four I pointed out in the pics. Should I replace all the caps, even big nasty (the largest one)?

Here is the distortion I was talking about. The text also has these flickering pixels on the edges that look like they are constantly moving as well.

Can this distortion and these problems be attributed to failing caps?

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Argh, I hate when things like this happen. It is so tricky to track down the problem.
The only thing I can honestly think of, is that the cartridge slot may be bad. I mean, give the pins a good resolder if they are though hole based (I dont really know the SNES mainboard). It could be anything really.

Just be sure you're not going though UHF and you have the frequency set wrong, LOL.