Super All In One Console Project.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22
Re: Super All In One Console Project.

Post by griehm » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:15 am

I can't really see that being an issue unless you have a cartridge with a co-processor inside. If it doesn't have the coprocessor, the only thing it's really doing is feeding data, so loading times would be milliseconds longer. With the coprocessor in the cartridge, it *may* have issues. Maybe the system can handle timing differences, but maybe not.

Take for example Apple's idea to make a "beautiful" motherboard with straight lines only. It failed miserably, crashing consistently due to the RAM having slightly different timing, and connected peripherals getting data at different times.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:48 am

BourbonPlease wrote:
TSX420J wrote:Does anyone know the pitch of the sega genesis and n64 carts?
what parameter exactly is "pitch" describing when refering to these card edgee connectors? Until clicking on your digi key link, I assumed it had something to do with an angle, but it doesnt appear to be so. Sorry, google wasn't cooperating.
Pitch is the distance between the contacts/pins. It is measured from the center of one contact/pin to the center of the next.
Last edited by TSX420J on Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:51 am

chunky wrote:Just something to think about;

I'm pretty sure I read that some consoles can't have the cartridge slots located too far away [i.e. cable between PCB and cartridge slot too long] or it messes with the signal/timings.
Not sure how true it is, but it could be something to look in to.
Wow never thought of that. I hope it is not an issue. I'll test it out before I start doing all of the hard work. Thanks!

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 am

griehm wrote:I can't really see that being an issue unless you have a cartridge with a co-processor inside. If it doesn't have the coprocessor, the only thing it's really doing is feeding data, so loading times would be milliseconds longer. With the coprocessor in the cartridge, it *may* have issues. Maybe the system can handle timing differences, but maybe not.

Take for example Apple's idea to make a "beautiful" motherboard with straight lines only. It failed miserably, crashing consistently due to the RAM having slightly different timing, and connected peripherals getting data at different times.
So superFx games might be an issue. I'll be sure to test out starfox before I do all of the wiring and cutting. I may have to rethink my gameplan. I do have an alternate idea in mind. Maybe if things don't work as planned ill make a custom box and mount all 4 mobo's horizontal and close to the top. Then I won't even have to rewire everything, just the video and controller ports. I'm good with woodwork.

BourbonPlease
PSN Username:crap
360 GamerTag:DREX777

Post by BourbonPlease » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:08 am

Pitch is the distance between the contacts/pins. It is measured from the center of one contact/pin to the center of the next.
Ah, thanks.

Also, dont do a wood box if you go custom. Get some square aluminum tubing and some sheet aluminum from lowes/home depot/ace hardware. Or, some plexiglass and clear silicone caulk for a transparent case.