Super All In One Console Project.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

griehm
PSN Username:hotchik3nflings
Steam ID:invisiblejack22
Re: Re: Super All In One Console Project.

Post by griehm » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:09 am

eggwolio wrote:[This goes for me, too. How difficult would it be to convert some of the top-loading disc systems to work with slot-loading trays?

Nearly impossible, if not fully impossible. The only ways possible to do it is find the pinout of the disk drive of the system and create your own controller to change it to a standard (IDE or SATA), or grab a variation of the console that has a tray loading disk drive. EG: Gamecube and Panasonic Q.
Setting up a website- I need input!
If you've got time- PM me for link.

TSX420J

Re: Super All In One Console Project.

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:50 am

eggwolio wrote:Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading for a long time, but this is one of the first projects on here which I've felt I had any good ideas for feedback on. There are so many possibilities here! You could integrate a 32X in the Genesis slot and it would be AMAZING if you could somehow make a SegaCD operate in a regular CD-ROM drive. Taking that further, it makes me imagine a tower with other disc based systems(Saturn, PSOne/PS2, XBox?) all wired to work the same way. You could maybe even have a TurboGrafx HuCard slot in a drivebay. Please document your project along the way with lots of pictures. I'm excited to see your results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I927 using Tapatalk
Cool, great ideas. I had thought of putting a sega genesis 1 mobo in my build so it would be compatible with the sega cd and the 32x, but since I was given a genesis 3, I wont. I had a sega cd ver.1 back in the day so it bothers me that I wont be adding one in my project. :( Maybe if I had more funds I'd do it, but for now, I am content with just the genesis. Another idea I had for the next one would be to put a ps2, xbox, xbox 360 and a ps3 in one (sorry not a fan of the wii, maybe the wii u), but that's way out of my budget. LOL. As of now I am sill trying to figure out how am I going to get a n64 that I can repair for cheap. With a pc case the possibilities are endless. I know that i can at least put 8 consoles in one case, if I were to make 2 motherboard trays that would be staggered. Its nuts!! I just finished fixing a nes I bought for 5 dollars, I have the genesis 3, I have a snes that I am repairing, and looking for a N64. I hope I find one soon, I am getting anxious to finish this project. I am working freelance right now so I have to be careful how I spend my money. Thanks for the response.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:02 am

griehm wrote:As above, it would be simple to ad in a Sega CD into a drive bay- get the bottom attached Sega CD and position it so that the tray lines up with a faceplate from a generic CD drive. Make sure to add a Sega CD logo too!
PS2- same deal, but make sure it's a fat unit so that you can use an HDD for backups.
Xbox- Eh, unless you like some games on it, it'll cause some issues due to heat from that beast. It is laid out like a computer though, so it takes IDE disk drives.
Gamecube- If you wanted to go all out on this and sell it for a ton, you CAN get it to have a slot in a drive bay- grab a Panasonic Q and mod from there. Downside? They're highly expensive, hard to find, and collectible, so taking one apart and modding the internal system just isn't right.
All other consoles with cart slots- remove cart slots, and re wire with IDE cables so that you can have them lined up on the top.

Oh and add power buttons to the side of each game console game insertion area (be it disk drive or cartridge slot) so you don't have to have all running at once.

Quite frankly this is such a good idea I may pursue something exactly like this, as long as you don't mind.
eggwolio wrote:
griehm wrote: Quite frankly this is such a good idea I may pursue something exactly like this, as long as you don't mind.
This goes for me, too. How difficult would it be to convert some of the top-loading disc systems to work with slot-loading trays?

Also, could you theoretically do rgb mods on each system or mount some sort of vga box inside so that you get the best possible picture across the board?

The possibilities here are endless and very exciting.

I don't mind if you guys want to give it a shot. It would be cool to see different versions and ideas. I am glad I inspired you guys. :)

eggwolio
PSN Username:chupdong
360 GamerTag:eggwolio
Steam ID:eggwolio

Post by eggwolio » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:08 am

An N64 shouldn't set you back but about ten bucks or so. I picked up a gold one with no cords at a goodwill for ten a few years ago. Worked beautifully and came with an expansion pak!

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:37 am

eggwolio wrote:An N64 shouldn't set you back but about ten bucks or so. I picked up a gold one with no cords at a goodwill for ten a few years ago. Worked beautifully and came with an expansion pak!

Nice! I got a very new looking OEM xbox 360 wireless controller at the local goodwill for 2 dollars. I have been going back once every 2 weeks to see if I spot something good. I got lucky that day. Most of the time, there is not one thing I am interested in. I usually go to the flea market, but they are expensive sometimes. I got the the idea to buy broken stuff for cheap, so i can repair it and use it. I bought 2 broken snes's the other day, 1 for my project and the other to sell. I already fixed one but the other has a burnt component. I have been searching for the component but have had no luck.

griehm

Post by griehm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:59 am

Your idea before regarding PS3 XBOX 360 etc in one case- Don't even try. That thing would be console death waiting to happen. Each of those systems has a large enough board that it makes sense to put ONE in a computer case. Fitting multiple would not only be hard, but when running one system, you'd have to worry about heating the other console from heat radiation, potentially damaging it. It's best to stick with the basic, cheap, heatsink free consoles. You'll have a better chance at success.

EDIT- almost forgot- I think I will try this idea out for size. It's relatively simple and makes for a great, usable result.

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:24 pm

griehm wrote:
eggwolio wrote: The only ways possible to do it is find the pinout of the disk drive of the system and create your own controller to change it to a standard (IDE or SATA), or grab a variation of the console that has a tray loading disk drive. EG: Gamecube and Panasonic Q.
What if you were to take the existing disc drive, and use the parts to create a tray loading disc drive with a microcontroller to handle all of the moving parts and open/closed signals?
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:16 pm

ProgMetalMan wrote:
griehm wrote:
eggwolio wrote: The only ways possible to do it is find the pinout of the disk drive of the system and create your own controller to change it to a standard (IDE or SATA), or grab a variation of the console that has a tray loading disk drive. EG: Gamecube and Panasonic Q.
What if you were to take the existing disc drive, and use the parts to create a tray loading disc drive with a microcontroller to handle all of the moving parts and open/closed signals?

Or you can mount the cart slots to the front panel and save the top to mount the top loading disc based drives.

griehm

Post by griehm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Either idea could work, but you'd have to be extremely precise with modding in a laser- If it's slightly tilted it won't read properly.

What you could do is add pull out trays in the front for each console- the "tray" would hold either a cart slot or a disk drive and you could mount reset, power and other hardware buttons. The top of the system could be reserved for... Hmmm. Maybe power switches? Controller/memcard/peripheral ports?

BourbonPlease
PSN Username:crap
360 GamerTag:DREX777

Post by BourbonPlease » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:29 pm

Sounds like an amazing idea! Do you have a display in mind, or any other peripherals for that matter?

Also, I would make all the carts front loading, and flush fitting, with little finger grooves to remove them. It would keep it simple, and uniform. Maybe not as reminiscent of the OG consoles, but there's always decal work.

Good luck with this project. I look forward to following it.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:39 am

So I bought a new soldering & desoldering iron. They are radio shack brand, not the best but it gets 'er done. I started by removing the expansion port of the NES as well as the AV/Power box. I added some wires to make a plug that will make servicing the nes easier if there are any problems in the future. I will be doing something similar to the cart connector slot too. I want to make everything plug and play. I also have a spare broken SNES mobo I sacrificed to use the cart connector and controller ribbon port I removed from it. I also did it to get the hang of desoldering high pin count components. I want to see if I can get some sacrificial games that I can use to solder the IDE's to, to make everything plug right in. I want to play it as safe as I can. I know a place I can get some carts for like a dollar or two so that shouldn't be a problem. I really need to find replacement cart slots for the n64 sega genesis and NES.

I ended up breaking a trace on the AV/Power holes on the NES. I scraped the board and made my own trace. I need a lot more practice and patience before I start to dismantle anything else. Everything works good though. Now I am going to order some plugs connectors and some other components I need.

Here are some pictures.

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:12 am

Does anyone know the pitch of the sega genesis and n64 carts?

Edit: never mind about the genesis. Just need the n64 now.

Edit 2: Just found everythiing!!

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:50 am

BourbonPlease wrote:Sounds like an amazing idea! Do you have a display in mind, or any other peripherals for that matter?

Also, I would make all the carts front loading, and flush fitting, with little finger grooves to remove them. It would keep it simple, and uniform. Maybe not as reminiscent of the OG consoles, but there's always decal work.

Good luck with this project. I look forward to following it.
Thanks, I will be using my lcd tv as the display. No plans on using any other peripherals as of now. Cool idea about the flush mounting.
Im almost done tracking down all the parts. Just need to find a n64 cart connector that I can solder into a pcb without having to desolder the original.

Edit: Found it!! http://search.digikey.com/us/en/product ... -ND/770544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BourbonPlease
PSN Username:crap
360 GamerTag:DREX777

Post by BourbonPlease » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:47 pm

TSX420J wrote:Does anyone know the pitch of the sega genesis and n64 carts?
what parameter exactly is "pitch" describing when refering to these card edgee connectors? Until clicking on your digi key link, I assumed it had something to do with an angle, but it doesnt appear to be so. Sorry, google wasn't cooperating.

chunky

Post by chunky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Just something to think about;

I'm pretty sure I read that some consoles can't have the cartridge slots located too far away [i.e. cable between PCB and cartridge slot too long] or it messes with the signal/timings.
Not sure how true it is, but it could be something to look in to.