Inverter powered N64?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Itchyichi96
Inverter powered N64?

Post by Itchyichi96 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:59 pm

This is my first game system mod, and as such, I am extremely cautious with residing anything on the board. I am not trying to make a portable as much as a self sufficient system, with all the power on board, and a screen built in as well. Being as it is, I was wondering if there is any way to power the system without rewiring anything. Are there any inverters that use rechargeable batteries, besides ghastly heavy 12v? Thanks in advanced!

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Re: Inverter powered N64?

Post by evilteddy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:10 pm

You probably won't be able to find any inverters under 150W and any that you do find will likely run of 12V. Despite this even if you found an inverter that would run of whatever batteries you were using it would still be a bad idea. Rather than inverting your DC voltage then feeding it into the N64's own inefficient regulator why not just take the power pack on the back of the N64 and change the internals there. Put a voltage regulator inside it and if you want an external battery pack just put an external jack on the powerpack. Then just chuck a DPDT switch in there and you can switch between 240V and external battery pack. There would practically be no risk of you killing the power supply.