Reason why n64 wont boot after connecting controller?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:28 pm

I've been working on my portable Nintendo 64. It is going great. I had to break apart the controller and rewire it. I rewired it, then hooked it up to the nintendo. When I turned it on, it would turn on and would display a back image. (My display will not even light up if there is no signal, so there is a signal.) But, if I disconnected the controller, it would boot up the game and display it correctly with its full color and sound glory.

Any ideas what could be wrong with this controller?

Christian

Post by Christian » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Just a wild guess: Shortages? Did you try another controller?

ihakr

Re: Reason why n64 wont boot after connecting controller?

Post by ihakr » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:00 pm

Christian wrote:Just a wild guess: Shortages? Did you try another controller?
Well.... I know that! I guess I didn't ask my question quite appropriately. (I've been working on this (the whole project) for the last 7 hours.) I guess what I was really asking is if there is a common mistake that I could have made. But I guess I'll just disconnect the whole controller / parts and try to narrow down the error.

budnespid

Post by budnespid » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:38 pm

Sounds like you're wiring it wrong. Are you soldering it to the original points on the n64? If so from left to right they are 3.3v(red) data(white) then ground(black). Most controllers follow the same configuration. Check with your multimeter first though.

evilteddy
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:Kirren of Smeg
Steam ID:kizzinator

Post by evilteddy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:35 am

Those symptoms arise when the data line on the controller is held low. Check for any shorts to ground, try the controller in another n64 to isolate where the fault is. Its unlikely that the N64 controller has broken to the point that its constantly driving the line low so you've probably had a small bit of solder fall on your board shorting data to ground.

ihakr

Post by ihakr » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:23 pm

hey I decided that somehow the controller board was bad. After I cleaned the whole board and disconnected all of the buttons it would still result in the same error. But when I connected the controller port back on then connected a "virgin" controller, it would boot up right and I could play my games. The bad controller may have been from cutting the board wrong. After finding out that my local store was all sold out of controllers, I was bummed. (I wasn't about to take apart one of the controllers from my childhood). Luckily I found another n64 controller board from another project that didn't work out. So I'm back in business!

Would anyone know of any good guides for cutting an OEM nintendo 64 board so it is smaller? (I cut off the D-Pad and AB and C buttons on the original board. I don't want to make the same mistake again!)

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:03 pm

ihakr wrote:(I wasn't about to take apart one of the controllers from my childhood)
I know right. I kept all my stuff completely separate from all the new stuff I buy so I do not get any of it mixed up.