Aqua 64 - An Nintendo 64 Portable

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

iHackedit
Aqua 64 - An Nintendo 64 Portable

Post by iHackedit » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:39 am

Hey guys, I came to this site along time ago and I must admit, I didn't have much knowledge about electronics, modding and portabilizing, But now, I'm back and want to create an Nintendo 64 portable.
Now, I don't know fully what I need but thats why I'm posting here, right?
So, just a breakdown,
I am going to use a ZN-45 case for this project.
I want at least one and a half hours play time (Link me to cheap reliable batteries with protection circuit maybe?)
I am going to need some putty and things to work with the case (button holes and whatnot) (Maybe link me to some putty thats not going to make a hole in my pocket?)
I am going to use just an original controller and somethings L and R triggers for controlls (Probably just some playstation one controller triggers)
The screen will be one of the 3.5 inch ones that you can get from Hong Kong for like twenty dollars, mines going to be from dealextreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-5-tft-lc ... c12v-57274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And thats pretty much it, find an N64 console on ebay for like ten dollars and bam.
I don't want to spend lots on this, I don't how much I will have but My birthdaus coming up so who knows?

iHackedit

Re: Aqua 64 - An Nintendo 64 Portable

Post by iHackedit » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:59 pm

Hmmm, can anyone gimme an estimate of what it will all cost (knowing that I have most electrical things and just need a soldering iron fine tipped) so I will know if I shall put this on hold until I get job next year?

avert1

Post by avert1 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:41 am

With the parts you're asking for and assuming you don't fry anything, I'd go with ~$70-$80. That's just my guess though. Maybe someone else can give you closer of an estimate.

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:38 pm

some of these are approximations
screen - $25
batteries -$30
case - $25
n64 - $15
controller - $10
heatsinks - $10
resistor and capacitor for 3.3v - $2
"some putty" - $10

and if you have extra parts lying around, you can usually scavenge for the capacitor, or the heatsinks, or whatever. and you probably have a n64 and controller.

and then basic tools, wire, solder, paint if you want it, etc. and probably other things i forgot to mention. so yeah, around $100 probably.

not to say you are going to fail right from the start, but it is almost guaranteed that you will end up frying something. the n64 is a particularly touchy piece of work. the key here is to not give up.

also craftsmenship is something that you want. It is what can separate a good portable from a bad one. it would be horrible to put so much hard work into making one of these things, and then do a sucky job on the case, which is what can be seen (obviously). If you wire the thing and then put it in a shoe box (lol), people will almost disregard your ability to make a handheld n64. just something to think about.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:37 pm

avert1 wrote:With the parts you're asking for and assuming you don't fry anything, I'd go with ~$70-$80. That's just my guess though. Maybe someone else can give you closer of an estimate.
Well thanks for that and your batteries. Any chance your going to have a pcb and smart charger for them batteries any time soon?
luke_hankins wrote: some of these are approximations
screen - $22
batteries -$30
case - $10
n64 - $15
controller - $8
heatsinks - $10
resistor and capacitor for 3.3v - 50 cents
"some putty" - $8

and if you have extra parts lying around, you can usually scavenge for the capacitor, or the heatsinks, or whatever. and you probably have a n64 and controller.

and then basic tools, wire, solder, paint if you want it, etc. and probably other things i forgot to mention. so yeah, around $100 probably.

not to say you are going to fail right from the start, but it is almost guaranteed that you will end up frying something. the n64 is a particularly touchy piece of work. the key here is to not give up.

also craftsmenship is something that you want. It is what can separate a good portable from a bad one. it would be horrible to put so much hard work into making one of these things, and then do a sucky job on the case, which is what can be seen (obviously). If you wire the thing and then put it in a shoe box (lol), people will almost disregard your ability to make a handheld n64. just something to think about.
EDIT: I went through and have edited some of the above prices of what I have found to narrow it down. Also, can't I just use the 12v and step it down to the batterie voltage?
Thank you for your aproximations.
Well we'll have to see how much money I will turn out from my birthday, I still need to fix my DS Lite's top screen and been lurking different forums for a cheap screen.
And I will most definatly not be putting anything like an N64 in a shoebox, who do you think I am, I hobo sleeping in a cardboard box? Nah kidding, I'm using a ZN-45 case if that is the one most of us use for portables from polycase.com.
Thank for your posts guys and I'll be back on July the 18th with how much money I got, (won't be much I think...)

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 pm

All I wanted to say was that you have an awesome Display Picture / .GIF :mrgreen:

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Haha, I know it's cute.
On-topic: So do I use 3v and step up or can I just use the 12v and step down?

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Oh, what I meant with the resistor and capacitor: Yes, you will be stepping down your 12v (I believe you have two lipos, making 7.4v) down to 3.3v, to do this, you need a resistor, capacitor, and a small chip- pth08000waz. The chip you can get from texas instruments for free, which is why I didn't include it on the price list, but in addition to the chip you will need the resistor and capacitor, to wire it correctly.
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Oh okay and will they ship to Australia for free? Someone said it costs like 15 dollars :\
And I was wondering because an N64 has a 3v and 12v.... Anyway I have a 100 uF capacitor and how many k should the resistor be? Probably only costs like 5 cents if I don't have one from Jaycar Electronics.
I haven't opened mine up yet, but my N64 says NUP 13811342 on the back, does this mean anything to the project? I probably won't be using it though as it is a family console not mine so I have to go bargain hunting for a 10 dollar one.

avert1

Post by avert1 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:41 pm

iHackedit wrote:Well thanks for that and your batteries. Any chance your going to have a pcb and smart charger for them batteries any time soon?
I doubt it, but I found an ebay seller that meets all of your needs.
Batteries: http://cgi.ebay.com/1-655585-3-7V-3-5Ah ... 1929wt_796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Protection Circuit: http://cgi.ebay.com/Protection-Circuit- ... 2316wt_792" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Smart Charger: http://cgi.ebay.com/Smart-Charger-7-4V- ... 1680wt_796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Totaling up to just over $30, and that battery should power your portable for ~2 and a half to 3 hours.
They also have some cheaper batteries available, so I'll link you to their main page so you can look around.
http://shop.ebay.com/fma_battery/m.html ... 513&_pgn=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iHackedit wrote:How many k should the resistor be?
Resistor should be 2.2k

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Hmmm sorry for double post but when I ad pth08000waz to my cart and then tick free sample then press get free sample it just loads a page thats blank. Grrrrr
Anyone wanna sell me a cheap one?
Also, Thankyou for the linkys so far =3
Edit: This controller will work for the c stick mod and triggers and whatnot?

Cojiro

Post by Cojiro » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:34 am

Does Digikey ship to Australia?
I thought they did, they have an Australia homepage and everything.

Try that first, if that doesn't work, PM me.

As for that controller, triggers will work, for c stick mod i thought that most pot joysticks work, but I'm not completely sure on that one. C stick mods are overrated anyway. 4 c buttons all the way!! :)
My Mods:
Image Image Image Image

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:52 am

Okay will do, I have found out that someone used the controllers and the you can do the mod and they do work and I want to make this look sorta like the Wii U because I like the design so thats why I'm doing ths mod. :D

iHackedit

Post by iHackedit » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Got my pth08000waz today in the mail and it's really small, I have the capacitor and the resistor but no N64 mobo to wire to.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:56 pm

I have this one myself.

I am using it on my Lithium Polymer 5500 mAh 7.4v battery for the PlayFree (PSone Portable)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Protection-Circuit- ... 2316wt_792

How are you going to make 3.7v step up to 12v (or is that what the capacitor + resistor was going to do)?