VGA output via fpga

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

TSX420J
Re: VGA output via fpga

Post by TSX420J » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:34 pm

Just a thought and question. Would it be possible wire this to a genesis or a Nes. Don't flame me I'm just thinking if I can use this in a project box with some ports to plug in multiple systems.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:14 am

TSX420J wrote:Just a thought and question. Would it be possible wire this to a genesis or a Nes. Don't flame me I'm just thinking if I can use this in a project box with some ports to plug in multiple systems.
It could be possible, depending on how the video signals in the NES and Genesis are generated. If there is somewhere on the board one can grab a digital video signal from, it would be possible. It most likely would not be in the exact same format as the N64, so it would basically be a whole other project, not an easy addition to this one.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

TSX420J

Post by TSX420J » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:26 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:
TSX420J wrote:Just a thought and question. Would it be possible wire this to a genesis or a Nes. Don't flame me I'm just thinking if I can use this in a project box with some ports to plug in multiple systems.
It could be possible, depending on how the video signals in the NES and Genesis are generated. If there is somewhere on the board one can grab a digital video signal from, it would be possible. It most likely would not be in the exact same format as the N64, so it would basically be a whole other project, not an easy addition to this one.

Ah, ok. I'm a noob, sorry. I thought all rgb was the same. Lol.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:26 pm

TSX420J wrote:
lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote:

Ah, ok. I'm a noob, sorry. I thought all rgb was the same. Lol.
lifeisbetterwithketchup was saying that you need to tap off of the digital video from the chip.
EG: The raw data for the video before it is processed into RGB or Composite.

RGB is all the same. Just sometimes has a different sync rate.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 pm

there is also digital and analog RGB :wink: but as far as analog rgb (eg RGBHV/scart and VGA) it does all come down to sync rates, VGA is 31khz, scart/rgbhv is 15khz and thats where this device comes in, it is a scan doubler.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:05 am

This helps a little to make it more understandable.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/vga_timing.html
Last edited by Haunted360 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsurugi_Takuma

Post by Tsurugi_Takuma » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:02 pm

So I just ordered a Indivision AKA MK2 for my old A1200(HDMI in the old miggy), and then I stumble upon this forum.... This is exactly what is needed to intice me to unpack the ol' 64. Gonna end up with a nice game corner in the appartment, gf gonna be really happy :twisted: Hope this will be available soon...

Triton

Post by Triton » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:11 pm

Tsurugi_Takuma wrote:So I just ordered a Indivision AKA MK2 for my old A1200(HDMI in the old miggy), and then I stumble upon this forum.... This is exactly what is needed to intice me to unpack the ol' 64. Gonna end up with a nice game corner in the appartment, gf gonna be really happy :twisted: Hope this will be available soon...
you mean they actually FINALLY came out? i'd love one, but i cant justify ~200$ at all.

Tsurugi_Takuma

Post by Tsurugi_Takuma » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 am

Triton wrote:
Tsurugi_Takuma wrote:So I just ordered a Indivision AKA MK2 for my old A1200(HDMI in the old miggy), and then I stumble upon this forum.... This is exactly what is needed to intice me to unpack the ol' 64. Gonna end up with a nice game corner in the appartment, gf gonna be really happy :twisted: Hope this will be available soon...
you mean they actually FINALLY came out? i'd love one, but i cant justify ~200$ at all.
Sorry, my bad... They are to be released april 30th and that has been confirmed by Jens himself in the release thread over at EAB. As long as the prices of the hw keeps Jens floating and that he continues developing new hw for the Amiga I don't think it's that bad(especially since I use my Amiga on a daily basis). I'm putting together an Arcade stick for use with my NES and my Amiga, and that small "project" will probably end up around $150(including some spare part)... And that's just for a Joystick :mrgreen:
What's the expected price of this VGA board?

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:15 pm

Tsurugi_Takuma wrote:
Triton wrote:
Sorry, my bad... They are to be released april 30th and that has been confirmed by Jens himself in the release thread over at EAB. As long as the prices of the hw keeps Jens floating and that he continues developing new hw for the Amiga I don't think it's that bad(especially since I use my Amiga on a daily basis). I'm putting together an Arcade stick for use with my NES and my Amiga, and that small "project" will probably end up around $150(including some spare part)... And that's just for a Joystick :mrgreen:
indivision MK1 for AGA usually sold for 160-175$, by all accounts mkII is going to be more expensive, over 200 most likely. it irks me because marshall could probably build equivalent hardware at a lower price and have WAY MORE available. aga MKI has been sold out of retailers since like 2009, what kind of half ass crap is that? a highly in demand product so they make one production run and then quit? :facepalm:

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Tsurugi_Takuma wrote:What's the expected price of this VGA board?
I am interested in this as well.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

Tsurugi_Takuma

Post by Tsurugi_Takuma » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:05 am

Triton wrote:
Tsurugi_Takuma wrote:
Triton wrote:
indivision MK1 for AGA usually sold for 160-175$, by all accounts mkII is going to be more expensive, over 200 most likely. it irks me because marshall could probably build equivalent hardware at a lower price and have WAY MORE available. aga MKI has been sold out of retailers since like 2009, what kind of half ass crap is that? a highly in demand product so they make one production run and then quit? :facepalm:
It will cost $166.32 according to Amigakit.us.

I just figure that the demand wasn't high enough to justify a second production run.
I think he has had to many projects up and running, and that has been the major reason for the gap between MK1 and MK2. But me I’m never gonna complain about hw designers who are building and selling great new gear for retro equipment.
My advice to you is to skip this board, as it irks you, and wait for somebody else to build a better/cheaper one that is more readily available. Seeing that this is a “highly in demand product” one might pop up at best buy :wink:

Now back to marshall and his VGA-board, as that is looking very very nice! :D

falconsfan

Post by falconsfan » Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 am

:BUMP:

Does anyone know if this is still in progress?

MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Tue May 22, 2012 12:38 pm

I was thinking about bumping too ^^

Professor Hufnagel

Post by Professor Hufnagel » Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 pm

I'm watching this too! :D
Are there any problems with the prototypes we saw earlier in this thread? If not, he should really start selling them. (Not the prototypes, might have been misunderstood. :mrgreen: by the way, why aren't projects like this on kickstarter, etc? Do they take a share that's just too big?)