Nintendo 64 Portable Questions

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

misterb98
Nintendo 64 Portable Questions

Post by misterb98 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:13 pm

I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.

Hello benheck staff and members, I found this site two days ago and thought it was quite interesting. As a homeschooler with a lot of free time (~4 hrs a day :D), I thought that it would be cool if i could make me a Portable N64. I have a few questions to ask.

1. What is the best Noob-Friendly N64 Guide out there? I looked around on these forum and all I found were bits and peices. I also found a guide on another site that someone on these forums called "out-of-date". So where should I go? I would like a built-in controller and maybe a standard audio out for a headset.

2. I don't want to start with a NES because it is so old. However, the highest form of Experience I have had with this sort of thing was making a RC car mostly from scratch. Is that to a N64P too much of a jump?

Thanks in Advance.

Edit: removed #3 due to rules

Edit 2: Oh, and I forgot to mention youtube is blocked by my parents on this computer (and no, I didn't do ANYTHING wrong there previously. It was just precaution)

dsv101
360 GamerTag:Dsv101

Re: Nintendo 64 Portable Questions

Post by dsv101 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:49 pm

Answer to question 1: http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=791" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Answer to question 2: Well, its not to far of a jump if you are good at soldering and are patient.

Ansem

Post by Ansem » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:03 pm

im just starting myself, and plan to use my nes as "practice" before I make the n64p. Though this is just for soddering practice, no case will be made, then when I feel comfortable, ill reuse the screen, and anything else I can for the n64 so im not really "wasting" stuff.

misterb98

Post by misterb98 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks for the replies. Found XCVG's guide on the link. Bookmarked it ^^

Edit: Turns out we don't have a dremel. Where should i get one for the best price? (Our family likely won't need it beyond this purpose... except for possibly a few more mods if all goes well.)

Muniosi

Post by Muniosi » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, if that's the case, see if you can rent one. I'd advise getting everything done that you can without the Dremel, then doing all the Dremel work at once to minimize rent costs.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:43 am

misterb98 wrote:Thanks for the replies. Found XCVG's guide on the link. Bookmarked it ^^

Edit: Turns out we don't have a dremel. Where should i get one for the best price? (Our family likely won't need it beyond this purpose... except for possibly a few more mods if all goes well.)
Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc, etc.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

misterb98

Post by misterb98 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:36 am

Thanks. Oh and Hailrazer, where do you get your shells? are they custom made or just ripped off of old toys. Just wondering. Your NCube and Darth64 look nice :)

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:12 am

I used a Lazerdoodle for the Darth64 and Dreamtrooper. And a Datamax for the Ncube, Kamikazee and clones.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

dsv101
360 GamerTag:Dsv101

Post by dsv101 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:52 am

if you have a wireless router that you dont use, those seem to make awesome cases

dilip7788

Post by dilip7788 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:00 pm

misterb98 wrote:I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong section.

Hello benheck staff and members, I found this site two days ago and thought it was quite interesting. As a homeschooler with a lot of free time (~4 hrs a day :D), I thought that it would be cool if i could make me a Portable N64. I have a few questions to ask.

1. What is the best Noob-Friendly N64 Guide out there? I looked around on these forum and all I found were bits and peices. I also found a guide on another site that someone on these forums called "out-of-date". So where should I go? I would like a built-in controller and maybe a standard audio out for a headset.

2. I don't want to start with a NES because it is so old. However, the highest form of Experience I have had with this sort of thing was making a RC car mostly from scratch. Is that to a N64P too much of a jump?

Thanks in Advance.

Edit: removed #3 due to rules

Edit 2: Oh, and I forgot to mention youtube is blocked by my parents on this computer (and no, I didn't do ANYTHING wrong there previously. It was just precaution)

yeah good idea, you could use proxies you can find some at http://proxy-zone.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or add "https" before link. ;))

3MZ

Post by 3MZ » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:02 pm

1. Look at Bacteria's guide on youtube (youtube.com/moddedbybacteria or something like that)
2. It doesn't really matter how old the console is, just if you like it or not.